Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

My God, the Snickers ice creams…haven’t had one in ages.

They were here, a decade ago. I should know, I certainly ate my fair share of them. Those things are the bomb!

They were sold in 7-11 along side all the other frozen treats on offer.

Those things are dangerous!

Guy

1 Like

See, annoying to no end! Why can’t all Carrefour locations stock the same imports? Or at least offer it online through their online shopping site.

Annoyed that Costco does the same with inventory.

1 Like

See last sentence:

They even had a big Mountain Dew promotion in front of the Taipei main station…

I tend to like stuff foreigners dislike but yes corn soup is pretty awful.

2 Likes

So I guess you should put milk on the list then…

This really bugged me. The hot fudge paired with the cold soft-serve complemented each other perfectly. I never got tired of it. Plus, they were really cheap.

1 Like

Again, still not real Mt. Dew. The citrus emulsifier is banned in Taiwan. Now it tastes like over-sweet crap. They had the real stuff in a couple stores with stock of questionable origin, but even those didn’t have any last I checked. They’re passing off the Mt. TW mix as well. You can tell if it’s the real thing because the ingredients are not originally printed in Chinese but they stick on one of those stickers with the ingredients translated. The Taiwan mix has Chinese printed on the can.

You guys should have bought more. It lasts forever so I bought as much as I could. I don’t even eat it that often. I was hoping that would help keep it in stock.

I’m not sure they exist anywhere any longer. I first found them in Spain and when I returned to Taiwan they were here for about a year or so, then they disappeared never to return. I’m guessing it was a product that just didn’t last. I liked them.

The online availability is based on your location. Everything ships to you from the nearest store. If they don’t stock it, or are sold out, you’re not getting it whether it was available the day you ordered or not.

I didn’t eat it that often, but was the most McDo thing they sold (Big Mac hasn’t been big for years) since when I was a kid.

2 Likes

Highly likely, I wouldn’t know, you think I drink that shit???

Sorry, this one you should be careful about. Back when Jason’s at 101 carried it, my youngest was nuts about it, so I bought a crapload and sandbagged it.
Naturally, the kid’s enthusiasm waned while some product remained.
Much later, admittedly well after the expiry date, I went to make some, believing, as you, that

It lasts forever

Much to my surprise, Monkey Island had worked its special brand of hoodoo and the powder envelope was a :tent: brick, the humidity had managed to weasel its way in.

In all fairness, this really was like 2 1/2 years after I bought it.

1 Like

Most powered food stuff lasts about 3 months in Taiwan. Like those chicken powder turns into rock after about 3 months.

1 Like

Has anyone noticed that Skittles has quietly disappeared from most store shelves? At least in the south. I still occasionally see them on store shelves, but I think the ones I see are old stock. They used to be at all 7/11s and other convenience stores and now they’re mostly gone. :pensive:

BaDe Carrefour to the rescue. Their import section always impresses.

They also had lots of variety of Cheerios: plain, honey nut, multi grain, cinnamon apple, berry yogurt and also maple.

They had other cereals too: shredded wheat, lucky charms, cinnamon toast crunch, and a couple others.

They had both van camps pork n beans as well as Heinz pork n beans.

I was in a hurry, so didn’t have a chance to note everything, but there was a lot more for sure.

This was all as of today.

Not in Kaoshiung. I saw them in New Mexico and Texas.

Oh, that’s a tragedy!

Stop the presses. :raised_hand:

How do you not lead with this, the holy grail of sugary cereal? :drooling_face:

Mini-wheats can now go on this list. My favorite breakfast cereal - appeared on the shelves of the Tianmu and Danshui Carrefour branches, and presumably elsewhere. I bought the last two boxes in the Tianmu branch. Was present for all of 10 days.

How does that happen?! “Let’s test a product to see if there’s a market by bringing in a tiny amount that no one will notice.” My go-to theory is that a small shipment wound up here by accident, and they put it in the stores.

2 Likes

A long time ago, there was an old guy who would caramelize sugar and then pour the resulting mess onto a metal slab. He would then work it into a flat sculpture of some kind, and as a kid I used to love those.

I have not seen those at all today.

There was also various kinds of ice cream, from Keelung, that looked a bit like cotton candy. I think a store by Shilin MRT station has it. But those used to be much more commonplace.

Nightmarkets have shrunk considerably compared to back in the day. Now replaced by claw machines and soul less coffee shops.

I’m missing masa harina for corn tortillas. The Tianmu Carrefour had Pan arepa flour on the shelf but no tortilla flour. Bob’s Red Mill, Harimasa used to be available here but they’ve been missing since September or so.
Is it difficult to import dry goods? I know there are some special labeling requirements and I have absolutely no experience.

1 Like