Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

Just go to any potsticker (GuoTie) place. They have it.

thx. I havenā€™t been to one of those places in a long time either.

Guotie in Taiwan is not ā€œmissing in actionā€!

Guy

My neighborhood steak place only has it on weekends. Indeed, it is gone from extra popular to rare.

Guys what happened to In n Out? Wasnā€™t one going to open in Xinyi?

Who said it was?
Scroll up.

Southern Boy seems to have forgotten about pot stickers, despite their ubiquity.

Please carry on.

Guy

They still serve it in Taiwanese steakhouses. Some of the steakhouses arenā€™t too bad either.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t aware there was a plan for it.

I saw an ad for a soft opening on the paper. I think I have the pic somewhere.

1 Like

I should look into that. Itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve eated a cheap steak sitting on top of spagetti and topped off with a fried egg.

Not every one of them is a cheap steal house. There are some nicer ones that have decent steak. And they typically have corn soup as an option.

I get corn soup from McDonaldā€™s when I go. Itā€™s not the best but I Enjoy corn soup.

Wasnā€™t that just a pop-up store a few years ago?

EDIT: Hereā€™s a link for the post at the start of that thread, Chinese only: IN-N-OUT來台åæ«é–ƒę“»å‹•ē¾å “ē›“꓊ļ¼ - ꄛꖙē†ē”Ÿę“»čŖŒ

Corn soup is still everywhere in Taiwan. Hate the stuff .

2 Likes

Pizza hut. KFC, I think.

Yeah every fast food place has it as option for ā€˜drinksā€™ :grin:

Iā€™m updating the list.
Some things have returned.
Others returned and then vanished again.
If you have recently spotted any of these in the wild, please post when and where!

Snickers Ice Cream Bars
Sold in 7-11
MIA since 2008
Still MIA 2020

Kraft Mac and Cheese
Sold in Carrefour
MIA since 2016
Appeared again in mid 2019, but vanished again.

Haagen Daz Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Sold in almost every grocery store
MIA since 2016
Still MIA 2020

Strawberry IMEI Ice Cream Pancake Sandwiches
Sold in IMEI and every grocery store
MIA since 2014
Back and sold in various places!

Progresso Bread Crumbs (Italian and Plain)
Sold in Jasonā€™s and City Super
MIA since 2012
Still MIA 2020

Sliced French Bologna
Sold in City Super
MIA since 2014
Still MIA 2020

Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast
Sold in City Super
MIA since 2010
Still MIA 2020

Mountain Dew
Sold at Costco
MIA since 2017
Back and sold in many places.

KFC Biscuits
MIA since 2015
Still off their menu 2020

KFC Mashed Potatoes
MIA since 2006

McDonaldā€™s Milkshakes
MIA since 2016
And their sundaes are no longer sold as of 2019 either.

Burger King and KFC Curly Fries
MIA since 2008
Still MIA 2020

Chiliā€™s Chocolate Shake
MIA since 2009
Still MIA 2020 and confirmed with management it will never return to Taiwan.

2 Likes

Go read the thread on Mountain Dew, itā€™s at every 7-11 and (pretty sure) Family Mart.

I bought a box of this in the Tianmu Carrefour last week. And Iā€™ve seen it in the Danshui Carrefour recently as well. Note that Annieā€™s Homegrown Macaroni & Cheese, sold from iHerb, tastes very similar. (And no, neither tastes like ā€œrealā€ mac & cheese, and I like both, thank you very much.)

Iā€™m pretty sure I saw sliced turkey breast in at the deli counter in the Taipei 101 Jasonā€™s the other day - but not sure if itā€™s smoked. Nor am I sure if Iā€™d be able to tell the difference.

MIA: Chex Mix (or nuts and bolts, or whatever you want to call it - or even Chex or Shreddies cereal so I could make it); jarred roasted red peppers; and canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes are the ones that keep annoying me. The latter two used to be easily available at Carrefour, but havenā€™t seen them in a while; some variant of Chex Mix shows up every few years, but never lasts long.

EDIT: As for KFC ā€¦ I assume original recipe is still MIA and off the menu? That disappeared a decade or so, right? If it ever shows up again, I may once again enter a KFC, although Iā€™d assuredly regret it shortly thereafter.

Iā€™ve never ever seen snicker ice cream bars in Taiwan.