Food you miss back in your country?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I found years ago that a lot of things I missed just didn’t taste the same after being here a long time. Your taste buds change.

That said, I miss good mashed potatoes, huckle-berries, BC peaches, fresh cherries and blueberries, fresh ocean salmon, Bison burgers, and roast beef.[/quote]

Mucha: I think we’re both from BC. where do you get Bison burgers in Vancouver? (or can you)

luckily, in HK, you can now get a lot of this stuff, though at a premium and not always same quality or style.

You can get courgettes (zucchinis) at Dongmen Market, pretty much daily. Medium sized, yellow and green, 3 or 4 for NT$50. If you exit Dongmen MRT at the post office exit, turn right out of the exit and take the first right up the lane (so walking alongside the post office) . Turn right onto the market street, and she maybe 7 or eight stalls in on the right. She’s a resident, so is often still trading late into the afternoon. The courgettes are in baskets on the ground at the front. And if she spots a foreigner, she normally calls out ‘zuchinni’, as I assume she’s made quite a few people’s day that way.

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I found years ago that a lot of things I missed just didn’t taste the same after being here a long time. Your taste buds change.

That said, I miss good mashed potatoes, huckle-berries, BC peaches, fresh cherries and blueberries, fresh ocean salmon, Bison burgers, and roast beef.[/quote]

Muzha: I think we’re both from BC. where do you get Bison burgers in Vancouver? (or can you)

luckily, in HK, you can now get a lot of this stuff, though at a premium and not always same quality or style.[/quote]

I’ve had Bison Burgers in Kamloops, and I’m sure I’ve seen them on menus closer to the coast as well.

I miss the convenience of Montreal delivery service. Those “Casse Croutes” in every neighbourhood that deliver all night were a glutton/stoner’s delight. The Smoked Meat delis, especially Shwartzes, or Chenoys for The Waste Islanders and the international food fair that is The Main, are also sorely missed. And let’s not forget Steamies (moutarde, choux) and a good helping of poutine with real curds. And and iced cold Brador.

And New Yorkers love to wax on about their “Slice” but nothing in this world can beat a Montreal Pizza, from any place, anywhere on the island. Stacked 4 layers high in meat and smothered in cheese, puts all Taiwanese attempts to shame. Ya, that’s what I miss most. Montreal Pizza.

Yup. That’s true. I’ve occasionally gone back to the UK, pigged out on something I thought I missed, and then thought, “that wasn’t actually very nice”.

Exception: pies.[/quote]

Last month all I could think about was a tuna melt made with really nice grainy bread. Now I’ve moved onto potato top pies from the bakery near my house in NZ. And fish and chips! But NZ fish and chips and NZ pies. Because nothing else quite compares.

But alas, I’m here for I don’t know how long, just have to nut up and shut up…

I am just going into a corner,so I can cry myself to sleep. :frowning:

[quote=“ceevee369”]

Can have the beer, can find some decent fries, can import real Mayonaise.

Can not have the awesome North-sea mussels here. Belgians national dish. :frowning:[/quote]

I thought 九孔 is pretty close?

I really miss Wahoos…

I love naples pizza as much as the next guy…, but I don’t care if this ain’t real pizza, I just miss a good Chicago deep dish.

[quote=“hansioux”]

I really miss Wahoos…

I love naples pizza as much as the next guy…, but I don’t care if this ain’t real pizza, I just miss a good Chicago deep dish.[/quote]

That’s the final straw :bluemad: Somebody needs to lock this thread for the sake of compassion and decency :cry:

Start cooking, man. All that: rice, beans, cabbage salad and salsa, burrito, all doable in Taiwan. :smiling_imp:

As to the deep dish pizza… new business venture! :smiling_imp: :howyoudoin:

[quote=“Icon”]Start cooking, man. All that: rice, beans, cabbage salad and salsa, burrito, all doable in Taiwan. :smiling_imp:

As to the deep dish pizza… new business venture! :smiling_imp: :howyoudoin:[/quote]

I make my own burritos here with those tortillas from costco they make from play dough. I’m still missing a couple of key elements to make good mexican food. Also, i’m not the most skilled cook around :blush:

As for the deep dish pizza, that would be awesome if it showed up here…if they managed to make it without squid and corn and added more than a tablespoon of sauce

As they say, gotta do it yourself for it to be well done…

Can’t help you in te Mexican food department - probably a spice problem, or the fact that the onions taste differently.

Would be lovely if true deep dish would become fashionable in this Island.

[quote=“louisfriend”]

As for the deep dish pizza, that would be awesome if it showed up here…if they managed to make it without squid and corn and added more than a tablespoon of sauce[/quote]

I think the main reason why pizza taste like crap here is that only crappy cheeses are available…

In n out.

wow~i didn’t expect i will get so many replies!!i’m thrilled. will take my time to go through all these kindly replies and would like to try all of these precious food!! :slight_smile: love this website~that i can know better about different cultures around the world!thanks all^^

Yes, if they had better cheese…and better crust…and more sauce…and less ridiculous toppings…and then it wouldn’t be Taiwanese pizza anymore. Don’t get me wrong…on the whole, I think Taiwanese do a better job of making American food than vice versa…but I can never get used to their pizzas.

I miss these from home:

Gordo’s Taqueria

La Val’s Pizza

Gordo’s opened another one right on telegraph. They make a good burrito.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thank you:-) i will go to taipei maybe June or July, definitely will buy some zuccihinis!!

Ceevee369: North sea mussels…Hmmm, will try when I visit there!

(I’ve heard “Tomorrowland”, and i always link this and beers to Belgium…^^)

HeadhonchoⅡ: I tried Guiness in oz & my Irish mate told me there’s a standard ratio to make it perfect, maybe 1:9…I forgot…

“fresh air and clean water and the stars on a dark night and the frost on the ground in Winter.” Yeh….i dunt think we hv these in tw….lol

MUcha Man: “Your taste buds change” that’s true! Bison burgers, is that more delicious than beef burger?

Icon: ripe plantain looks so alive!! “And there is a kind of lemon we have, about a Mandarin size” I’m so curious……sorry, I dunt know where can buy masa….i’m not a chef here. But I would love to try “ceviche” as well!:slight_smile:

Charlie Phillips: sorry to remind you the good taste of zucchini, haha^^

John Yu: I suppose you hv a sweet tooth. ^0^

sstyles15: thx for let me know “Jack in the box”, I want to try their tacos! And Mt Dew, some ppl said you can try to find it in Taipei 101 (btw, you can use skype to contact your kids anytime you want, I did it everyday when I was in oz^^)

Tempo Gain: Italian Pizza, Hmmm, should try! I love Tortellini with creamy seafood in a Italian restaurant in oz…but it tasted totally sucks when I bought it & cooked by myself…

louisfriend: your pics look awesome! I would like to try but I can’t eat spicy food… btw, I didn’t intend to let everyone has homesick…lol

tomthorne: Got it! White pudding~~~must try when I travel Ireland!

Petrichor: I went to London long time ago but didn’t try “hot buttered crumpets”, will do!

shiadoa: sry for making you drooling and I totally can understand the empty feeling when you miss something….i miss zuccihini so much.

Deuce Dropper: I love seafood as well!! One gyn/ob doc told me lobster in CA is the best! Will try!!

Pop fly: Montreal Pizza

Staceycolleena: Feijoa is mainly from NZ as well! Awesome country!

hansioux: LMAO!!! I do think 九孔 is the same as the mussels but I guess Ceevee369 means the exactly originally flavor of North sea mussels. Just like I went to Taiwan café in Mel so many times, but the flavor isn’t 100% the same……btw, may I ask what’s “Wahoos”? I can’t find it…”Chicago deep dish pizza”, will do!!

Chris: thx for giving me the links

I guess the pizza in tw was adjusted to our Taiwanese flavor….i like the crust in Pizzahut in tw, but I don’t like Domino’s pizza when I was in BNE yrs ago. if I say I only ate pizza for 2-3 times for one yr in oz, will you guys believe me? (And only when hung out with my mates and they wanted to eat pizza……) KFC once as well….but even I tried so hard to avoid high-calories food, still got 2 kgs back to tw….lol :no-no:

Btw, when I cooked this: “scrambled eggs with tomatos”(番茄炒蛋), my Irish housemate thought it’s weird, but I do love this dish^^ hv you tried in tw?
(dunt know how to upload the pic, gave up…)

[quote=“claret”]

Tempo Gain: Italian Pizza, Hmmm, should try! [/quote]

Well technically American pizza. Most is made by native Albanians or Mexicans these days :slight_smile:

If you want a proper one, despite some of the misinformation being spread around here, you’ll have to hit the five boroughs, preferably Staten Island :slight_smile: