Foot binding

quote:
Originally posted by O'Brian: So you're saying that a 25 year old woman who freely chooses to wear high heels is the same as breaking a 5 year old child's feet so they can't run away when you rape them?

I guess we have very different ideas of what “perverse” means.

[img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]            [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]            [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]     </strong><hr></blockquote>

Foot binding was a dreadful practice indeed. I was in no way defending foot binding. But rather Taiwanstatus’ logic.

Your assertion that rape was the main motivating factor for foot binding is perverse. At least Taiwanstatus’ logic (Chinese male control freakness) was only simple minded.

quote:
Originally posted by taiwanstatus:

What’s wrong? I don’t condone the misbehaviors of some perverts on wheels and a strong willed women can easily scare the crap out of these wimpy men as was the case here. Our expat victim was upset and shaken, but just think what the pervert must be feeling?

Don’t believe me? Do a gay impersonation with a straight Taiwanese male and then watch 'em freak out! And do it in the name of decreasing their heigthtened levels of Chinese anxiety and male homophobia. Only by so humourously introducing the populace to new cultural experiences of the outside world one can virtually traumatize their foreign friends to acquiesence to the enlightened ways of the real world. This is possible because of their homogenous cultural insularity and sheer vulnerability as insecure males. Past foot-binding is a Chinese male sign of being control freaks, so it is time to put the shoe on the other foot. But just for kicks.

quote:
Originally posted by O'Brian: When were small children in the West forcibly crippled to wear stiletto heels or corsets?

Kids beauty pageants (

quote:
Originally posted by taiwanstatus: Don't believe me? Do a gay impersonation with a straight Taiwanese male and then watch 'em freak out! And do it in the name of decreasing their heigthtened levels of Chinese anxiety and male homophobia.

Maybe its not the impersonation that freaks them out.

quote[quote]Past foot-binding is a Chinese male sign of being control freaks, so it is time to put the shoe on the other foot. But just for kicks.[/quote]

What do you call stiletto high heel shoes or corset? Results of male control freakness? If you’re not trolling, you must be simple minded.

quote:
Originally posted by O'Brian: When were small children in the West forcibly crippled to wear stiletto heels or corsets?

Not saying that the Chinese men were completely innocent. But the acts of foot binding were done by mothers and grandmothers. Yes, for the delights of men.

BTW, wasn’t it those communists that you hate so much that put an end to the practice?

If one gets out their book of fetishes, sexual obessions with feet are indicative of a control freak. And foot binding is the ultimate as it keeps the woman at home. Victorian era corsets are a whole another subject, but the attitude that all men are deviant rapists is a cultural issue of American Victorian values. Perhaps the mind needs to loosen those corset strings. As for communism, I’ve lived with the CCP…been there, done it. Their provincial morality is worse than a rabid feminist with Victorian insecurities.

In November 1997, UC San Francisco released details of the first study on the consequences of foot binding (includes a follow-up story on the closing (1998) of the last factory that made these shoes for Chinese women):

http://www.sfmuseum.org/chin/foot.html

Urbanjet, fyi the Manchus outlawed footbinding, not the Chicoms.

quote:
Originally posted by taiwanstatus: If one gets out their book of fetishes,

Ok. And that book is suppose to be part of everyone’s library?

quote:
sexual obessions with feet are indicative of a control freak.

So, what you’re saying is that a large percentage of Chinese men have sexual fetish for small feet and also exhibit control freak tendency? That’s your arguement? You actually believe this?

quote:
And foot binding is the ultimate as it keeps the woman at home.

I thought it was because men liked how women walked with bound foot (swaying hip). Which is why I brought up the stiletto heels.

quote:
Their provincial morality is worse than a rabid feminist with Victorian insecurities.

Hey, don’t call O’Brian a name like that. He may be a rabid Victorian, but he ain’t no feminist.

The Qing, the ROC government, and the communists all worked to end foot-binding.

When the Manchus first came to power they tried to stop the practice, with little success. In the last years of the nineteenth century opposition to foot-binding becamse greater, in no small part because of the Western abhorence of the practice. An imperial edict was issued against foot-binding around 1906.

The standard top-down imperial approach didn’t have much effect on the masses. The ROC government did more effective work against foot-binding, as did the communists.

Foot-binding was not practiced much by groups other than the Han. As a whole, Manchu and Hakka women didn’t have bound feet.

In Taiwan, the Japanese most certainly didn’t approve of foot-binding but didn’t feel secure enough in their rule to move fully against it until 1915, the twentieth year of their reign.