⚽ Football/Soccer | MLS

Death, taxes and Messi scoring.

First two are debatable.

it is MLS

1 Like

Brilliant.

"Messi is so good that haters are convinced that the entire sport is rigged in his favor. He’s so good that every game he plays is called scripted! :joy: "

https://twitter.com/CrewsMat10/status/1688398457344544768?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1688398457344544768|twgr^890c31d51ef859a781693aebd852e7431645b860|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barcaforum.com%2Fthreads%2Flionel-the-greatest-of-all-time-messi-v2.20038%2Fpage-167

Messi with the Midas touch yet again. MLS quality (or lack thereof) notwithstanding :slight_smile: Retirement home after all, innit :slight_smile:

Pure alchemy that, turning the literal sche!sse of Miami into solid gold :slight_smile: It’s straight to the apothecary for the lads from North Texas :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just that the intensity in the MLS is not as high as in Europe, so old Messi is fresh enough to hit those free kicks at the end of games.

Still impressive, though, cause all those defenders certainly don’t want to be schooled by him and should be extra motivated.

Ronaldo is probably pissed in the desert that Messi is still proofing to be the better of the two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Big lolz.

1 Like

Beckham is laughing all the way to the (already well-filled) bank with this signing. Messi has been even more of a success than anyone expected, with some memorable game-deciding goals already.

And remember, this Inter Miami was a dire squad languishing at the bottom of the MLS. For any one player to have such a major effect on a team is ultrarare.

1 Like

They only started in 2020.

1 Like

Didn’t know Miami was dead last in the standings. Lot of work to do for the Messias.

Also didn’t know that Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets also made the move to Miami.

1 Like

Iniesta could be joining them too, along with Luis Suarez in January (the next transfer window).

Yeah that Alba Messi connection is a joy to behold. In Miami as it was in Barcelona.

(No time for a siesta! It’s a fiesta cos of Iniesta!)

The Argentine Inter Miami coach Tata Martino, of course, was also Barcelona manager in 2014.

A mini Barcelona in Miami!

So as yall can see, the conditions are most conducive to Messi’s continued success now that he’s semi-retired (with all due respect to MLS).

If Inter Miami make Top 9 in the league, they’ll make the playoffs. I personally think it’s a bridge too far, but even I underestimated Messi’s impact so who knows?

Messi isn’t the quintessential leader. It simply ain’t in his DNA. He is a leader of men though in the sense that the mediocre Miami players around him are inspired by his precociously ferocious otherworldly talent and elevate their own game to heights they wouldn’t be capable of otherwise. In other words, the truly great ones make those around them play better. Significantly better, in this case.

2022 World Cup winner Messi made the right choice in retiring in the States. Let’s not forget the World Cup is on these shores come 2026, and Miami one of the venues. Cristiano Ronaldo languishing languorously in the forlorn wilderness of Saudi (in requisite Audi) can only aspire to such a Hollywood ending, seeing as Saudi may not even be awarded World Cup 2030, try as they might with his help.

Cannae believe am even contemplating this but I thought bout watching Houston vs Charlotte. The winner will be Inter Miami’s opponents in the quarterfinal. That would NEVER have happened if Messi didn’t make Miami his retirement home. MLS was a dirty word to me back in the day. (Watched a bit of Miami head honcho Becks when he was in LA though. Best crosser of the ball ever).

#themessieffect #infulleffect

1 Like

Another game another Messi goal.

3 Likes

A very unique situation Inter Miami: It is not only the star, tt appears the entire team has significantly raised the levels since the arrival of Messi. Astounding stuff. Remains to be seen how they fare when back in the MLS but still, what a run.

2 Likes

Miami’s Messi wins the tinpot after a dramatic penalty shootout in Nashville! Scored an absolute golazo reminiscent of his Barcelona days.

Funnily enough this may just have guaranteed him the 8th Ballon d’Or October 30th. (His status as the BOAT (Best of All Time) was confirmed long before this, even sans World Cup.)

What a story Miami under Messi is. From worst to first.

"Lionel Messi has now won more trophies than any other player in the history of the game, 44 in total.

THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. !:goat::argentina:"

2 Likes

3 Likes

He completed football and now he completed soccer.

1 Like

The first goal was perfect

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I’m enjoying seeing Messi do so well. I think it’s the whole package- his age, how he will raise the bar in the US, the huge impact he’s making on a last place team. Very cool.

1 Like

He is still a top class footballer. Watching the US Open cup and Miami are not playing so well today. Cincinnati have been dominating play.

SCREENSHOT

2 Likes

Well not a bad game to have on as I do some other work.

2 - 2 at full time. 3 - 3 after two extra times. Miami win on penalty shoot out 5 - 4.

post match interviews mostly in Spanish.

1 Like

They still won. That assist from Messi at 90+7 to take it to ET was a work of art

1 Like

No goals but two fine assists. LA striker’s selfish play and them squandering all those chances gave Miami the opportunity. MLS is low quality. The first goal, how many top goalies in Europa would have got down quicker than that keeper.

1 Like