⚽ Football | World Cup 2022

Yeah. I did like that system too! I cannot remember why it suddenly stopped. Bit younger and can’t remember. Maybe the games went on to long? Maybe the teams got really defensive?
Could be that with the extra time and penos everyone sort of knows when the game really will end.

Messi is the greatest.
Maradona cheated his way to that World Cup (the “Hand of Gold” goal):

2 Likes

When Maradona was asked what he wanted for his 60th birthday, he said “I dream of scoring another goal against England, this time with my right hand.”

He was certainly a character.

1 Like

I think nobody liked it when Germany won that way in 1996.

Budweiser is owned by ab inbev.

1 Like

Just a friendly jibe. I love Americans! :grinning:

1 Like

Are you sure? Even when they had golden goals, extra time was the same length.

oh, it’s definitely a tacky fucking trophy. just a whole lot of multi national blame to go around for it. :wink:

1 Like

No definately was a “Sudden death” type rule.

Looks like it was indeed abolished due to teams getting too defensive:

Imagine VAR was available back then, or in 1966, or in 2014. England clearly scored against Germany in Brazil.

1 Like

Yeah, and what about Euro 2004? Sol Campbell’s disallowed goal by the idiot Swiss ref:

England team is always getting ripped off in tournaments :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not disputing that. It was sudden death within extra time.

It wasn’t play until the next goal was scored no matter how long it takes. Extra time was still the same length or shorter.

That is the part I was questioning.

Not 100% sure, I thought was 30 minutes and another 30 if no score?

Two 15 minute halves. A golden goal could end it earlier but after the second 15 minutes, it went to penalties.

I see.
Yeah, I dont know. Not sure if it ever went further than an hour.
@LondonSpice 's memory serves him well.
Looks like the rule was for “Up to an hour of extra time”

“The rules of the first known organized inter-club tournament in any code of football, the Youdan Cup of 1867, featured a sudden-death rule. If scores were tied after 90 minutes, up to an hour of extra time was played”

Golden goal - Wikipedia.

Maybe you’re right, he was remembering that 1867 game.

Yeah. Fantastic game that one. can’t find the highlights on YouTube though :rofl:

1 Like

Thomas Mueller should be way up higher, but he sucked in the last two WCs like the whole German team. Though Mbappe is expected to finish on the top when all is said and done, there’s no guarantee of it happening.

1 Like

I know. Feels like TM’s been around forever.

Mbappe’s simply the most impactful player (in terms of goals and assists) since, well, Messi. Never seen anything quite like it. And to think they both play for the same club! No wonder Qatar (who owns PSG) EXPECTS the Champions League title each and every season.

Mbappe’s the one player who can absolutely shatter all existing records at both the club and international level. This was evident from the start and is even more obvious now (assuming he continues his stellar trajectory.)

For all the Cristiano Ronaldo vs Messi debate, he doesn’t even register on this graph.

Just a club footballer.

(Don’t get me wrong, in the eternal club vs country debate I’m a club football man through and through, but Cristiano Ronaldo doesn’t belong in the same rarefied stratosphere as Messi.)