For Sale: Low mileage Nissan Cefiro......But

it’s quite old and thus requires a rather high yearly tax payment.
Friend has a 19-year-old Cefiro with only 58K kilometers on it. She rarely drives it (clearly) and feels no need to keep it any longer. Taiwan’s annual car tax is evidently based on the age of the car and not the kilometers driven, so her annual tax bill is quite high
She claims that due to its age and the fact Taiwanese are not big on used item purchases she may only be able to get NT$ 10K for the car which I find ridiculously low.
Any ideas on how she could get more dinero for her Cefiro? Thanks

1 Like

Oh, All papers re: maintenance, yearly check-ups, etc. have been meticulously maintained and available for viewing.

1 Like

Taxes are paid according to engine size, not age. It is probably a 3.0 v6, which is $8640+ $28220 in annual taxes. The hard truth is that these cars are not worth anything, even if they are well looked after with low mileage. They are just not desirable. Your best bet is to recycle it for $15k or try to sell it for something close to that.

5 Likes

Wow. I learned something new today.

I suspect there’s an export market for these vehicles, and there must be a lot of them about owned by people desperate to get rid of them. I can think of at least two nearby countries where they’d sell for good prices. Nice business opportunity for someone with the right connections and experience.

3 Likes

3.0L 20 yr old car standard car? That thing will eat petrol. I guess it’s the brand and the price you sell it at.

1 Like

Oh, for sure. It wouldn’t sell for a lot, but definitely more than 15K scrap value. In my neck of the woods NT$60-70K equivalent, if it’s in good condition, and that’d be considered a bargain. Thinking about it though, the hassle of getting them re-registered in the destination country and then offloading them to distributors wouldn’t really make you rich. Maybe you could buy 100 of them for 25K each, spend 1.5m on exporting them, and then sell them off in batches of 10 @500K. The dealer might make 150K profit on his job lot (which would be a pretty good result). So you’d end up with 1m, less taxes, for your efforts. That’s nothing special for 2-3 months’ work and a fair bit of hassle, unless you were already very experienced in that line of business.

Reason people want old, well-maintained cars like that is that they’re easy to repair in places without good access to parts, and they tend to be inherently more reliable. A 3L engine shouldn’t be too thirsty unless you drive aggressively, and it can make for a much more comfortable ride in hill country.

4 Likes

The cefiro is a very comfortable solid car, I see the attraction as a run around anyway.
I think the margin would have to increase to cover the risk unless the dealer put some money down in advance. If the dealer prepays a portion it could work fairly well.

1 Like

35,000 annual taxes? is that right? I have only had trucks over the 2 liter line, never cars. our truck isnt near that. sure she isnt calculating insurance into that?

true these types of cars arent worth much. especially those old nissans. that amount of tax seems pretty ridiculous!

as an aside for anyone, check and see if the gov still has incentives. at least as of last year they would pay you 50k to trade in your "old"car (10 years lol, astonishingly) for a new car. electric cars also have payouts, seems each county is different. Worth looking into.

I doubt you can get 15k for recycle locally. but there are loads of people exporting containers of machinery to west asia and especially africa. not sure if the recent recycling and waste crackdowns have affected this industry or not, but could ask around and see what they pay. dont hand anything over without a signature and.money in hand :slight_smile:

I would gladly buy it myself if it weren’t a Nissan cefiro that cost 35k/year in taxes :innocent: Wife needs a car currently.

3 Likes

Yup…that’s correct!

This is the annual License Tax (牌照稅) one pays according to Engine(cc) size.

This is the annual Fuel Tax (燃料税) one pays also according to Engine(cc) size.

I have a 2001 (21 years old!) Mitsubishi Lancer 1600cc and I pay $7120 in License Tax & $4800 in Fuel Tax every year for a total of $11920.

AFAIK, Cefiro’s are usually a 2.0L which means that she has to pay $11230 License Tax & $6180 in Fuel Tax every year for a total of $17410. If it’s a 3.0L, then it jumps to the next bracket of $15210 + $7200 = $22410. Anything above 3.0, then she pays what the nakedfairy said above.!
And she can definitely get more than 10K for that car! Maybe a min. of 45~50K. Try posting it on Facebook groups for used cars etc.

6 Likes

To subsidize the low gasoline prices in Taiwan. Very social.

I have a Lexus IS 300 from 2003. It is great for what I use it for, but if I was buying something now I would try something 10 years younger.

This is good to know! How do electric and hybrid cars work?

And if you have a car with an engine size below below 500 c.c. leased by your business does it mean you don’t have any fuel or annual license tax? Seems from the chart, business use cars have less tax, so more reason to lease it through your business.

Perhaps small cars like this will appreciate over time: Suzuki Cappuccino - Wikipedia

You can’t get this in Taiwan.

I have one in the US and as a collector car I could sell it for quite a bit of money.

I’m hoping that Taiwan will pull its head out of its ass and allow older collector cars to be imported and driven on the roads. But, I’ll probably die before that happens,

1 Like

@Ducked time for a new addition to the fleet?

Totally! if only they treated pollution issues equally. perhaps smoke stacks and factories have the same pollution controls as vehicles :upside_down_face:

Be a great opportunity if they did, vintage cars U.K. and USA are actually cheap to buy, no tax (40 years), low cost classic car insurance.
Do the same here values would be massive.
Other than one car all my company cars were 20+ years old. Always Citroën. However a 2.5 litre Citroën CX Break only did 15mpg around town.

Yes, Thanks for clarifying the annual fees are based upon engine size not age. For the record, her car is a 2.0 L, so around 18K in taxes.
I’ll look into the FB page. Thanks for the advice.

Tempting, but perhaps a bit too new for my taste.

Skywing (IF it hasn’t been towed and crushed while I’ve been in The Yook) is 36.

Talking of age, I’ve seen some reference to tax exemption if you have an oldie (>70?) in the family needing transport.

If true, that would make a bus like this a lot more viable.

That really is extremely low miles
My 1987 Telstar when I sold it after 11 years had 450 thousand kilometers on it and I sold it for 30k twd

It had several issues by then No AC and wheel bearings for some reason needed replacing every 15k kilometers after the first set lasted 420000 km

Must be something else that also needed replacement rather than just wheel bearings
Oh well that car is probably dust now

1 Like