Forbes list 8 fine dining restaurants in Taipei to try

What do you guys think? Are they any good!?

Anyone been to CROM?

Why are the prices listed in US$?

Cause it’s Forbes. Directed to a US audience.

1 Like

They look good. Too bad I can’t travel to Taiwan now. Has anyone gone?

1 Like

I’m going to try Saffron 46 when I get back.

The others, I’m sorry but I’m not spending 150-200+USD per person for fine dinning in Taipei. That’s 1-2 star Michelin price in Europe that’s actually worth it and special. I rather eat street food in Taipei or a nice bowl of ramen.

6 Likes

That’s the only one that really piqued my interest. The one with a nice view of 101 might be good to make my wife happy for a special occasion, but I’m with you regarding the other restaurants.

1 Like

They look good, and I’m sure the food is wonderful. Better be at that price. But I just don’t believe it’s worth 150-250 per person. I’ve ate at 1 star Michelin for about 100 euros, and I know it’s worth it. Once you get to 200, that’s 2 star level with impeccable service that reads your mind, world class chefs, freshest sourced food, amazing location. I can’t see that happening at any of those restaurants. But maybe I’m wrong, happy to hear anyone say anything different.

1 Like

When I hear fine dining, Iam paying not to hear things like this:

Pingtung Pigeon in 3 Ways, Yunlin Green Asparagus

Fine and agriculture from either pingtung or yunlin is nearly an oxymoron.

1 Like

Saffron 46 is basically the same food as the ever popular Saffron in Tianmu, which means very good. You are paying a bit more for slightly elevated service, presentation, and of course the view. Both places have well trained staff. 46 also has a full bar with craft cocktails which I can’t speak to. My meals at both the original and 46 outlets have always been great.

Edit to add that all my meals at Longtail have been great, with some inconsistency in the service.

4 Likes

Thanks - I wondered if they were connected or not.

1 Like

I have been to Longtail and was very satisfied with both food and service. I really like the corkage policy (to be fair, it is common in Taiwan) – I took a nice bottle of champagne from home and paid only NT$500 for corkage. They cooled and served it. Their cocktails are also very decent.

I just booked a table for Saffron 46 for a birthday dinner next week. Will report back. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re not willing to put up 150USD for Omakase in Taipei well then, you’re missing out on a fantastic deal compared to what you would get in Japan for much more. Taiwanese sushi bars do not really lose out to Japan at that end of the scale. A generalised statement sure, but not wrong.

3 Likes