Forbid walking up and down escalators in Taiwan? A Japanese prefecture just did this

It is if you’re one of the people walking instead of being stuck behind people who are standing.

The logic doesn’t work… Sure it will be more efficient to use both sides if everyone is forced to Stand.
But we are not, so it’s only more efficient for those who want to stand.

And taipei’s stair speed is slow AF.
If the speed were bumped up to HK metro speeds then i wouldn’t mind if i had to stand. i honestly think using the metro can be slow, and people like it that way. It’s extra phone time.

3 Likes

This makes sense too. But what’s more surprise to me this cohort here values time over safety. It’ s less than minute in most cases, but people want to rush like fast scooter or car passing me at unsafe speeds on the roadways. It seems many people complain about the roadways or motorways but have a different standard here.

1 Like

If you value safety don’t you want one lane for standing and one for moving? Wouldn’t the danger of collision come from some people standing in the path where others are moving and vise-versa?

1 Like

No one runs or walks, all stand. There is seldom more than a minute saved.

1 Like

I mean, sure, I guess it would also be safer if everyone drove the same speed in all lanes of the highway and nobody ever passed anyone. Or if everyone just walked everywhere. Or stayed home.

The reality is there will be people in a hurry sometimes. You can give them a clear path, or you can watch them try to dodge people on both sides of the escalator. Which is safer?

2 Likes

At least for me, the perception of Taiwan is fast driving (often feels unsafe) and slow walking (often feels painfully slow).

If you spend time in places like Tokyo or (heaven forbid) HK you will understand.

Guy

The first post link, is for a major Tōkyō suburb, so I will see if it carries over to central Tōkyō in the future. As for driving, I drive faster on the Japanese motorways than in Taiwan as that is what the traffic flow is like. It seems there more electronic speed checks in Taiwan which keeps people from driving too fast though, That being said, like this topic in Taiwan it’s more people can not wait for traffic lights, people crossing the road or just try to save a minute in Taiwan or maybe just poor schedules so the need to be a rush is my feeling and be more civil. The one good thing about roads in Taiwan are bigger so more of a safety margin, in Fukuoka where I have family the motorway/freeway (not free) is one lane in some areas, I do not see one lane motorways/freeways in Taiwan.

1 Like

A minute saved could mean seven extra minutes saved on the Danshui line.

And up to half an hour saved if needing a bus.

5 Likes

So now I’m tired AND not going faster? No way. Escalators and the airport conveyor belts are great personal time saving tools.

2 Likes

comparing to the case of one lane stand and one lane walk, more dangerous and less frequent. Someone maybe have simulated the total risk.

Akshually…

People in Tokyo stand on the left side when they take an escalator while those in Osaka stand on the right side.

People in Kyoto behave differently on the escalators on different train or subway lines in Kyoto. For JR lines and subway lines, which mainly run in Kyoto city, most of the people stand on the left side when taking the escalator. While for Hankyu lines, Keihan line and Kintetsu lines, which connect Kyoto to its neighborhood such as Osaka and Nara, more people stand on the right side.

Now we all know this is half bullshit and really depends on the first person who starts standing still: everyone will follow the pattern, be that left or right.

As for the debate, I vote for staircases.

每年平均約有200人在捷運電扶梯受傷,其中又以在電扶梯上行走受傷居首位,排名第2是未站穩踏階,第3則是受到他人影響受傷。

Walking is the major course of accidents on escalators.

1 Like

Walking is the cause of all pedestrian accidents. We should all just stand in place in our bedrooms until we die safely.

6 Likes

Why shouldn’t we sit or lie?

and, we cannot go to anywhere without going out from our bedrooms, but we can go to where we want to go without walking on escalators.

Stairs are somehow safer?

don’t know, but maybe healthier for healthy people.

@Marco is healthy. @Marco just doesn’t wanna wait another 7 minutes waiting for the next Danshui train comes cause he has to watch the stupid beitou-daan train roll by.

Or @Marco has to wait another ½hr cause he missed the bus and can’t always plan the schedule with them very well.

4 Likes

They must be pretty rare though. I’ve never seen one and I rarely hear of any significant accident on the news.