Forced to take a COVID test after visiting a hospital for flu

Claritin you can get over the counter. Or there is a Japanese spray for allergies. Really awesome.

Sniffles they can let go. Heaven forbid anyone coughs! Get some throat lozenges just in case, especially at hand in public transportation.

2 Likes

Everything and more is available OTC in Taiwan…

To second @jimipresley 's point, several doctors, and both City mayors, have stayed so: if it is not life threatening, don’t go to the hospital. They are already overwhelmed as it is.

2 Likes

I learned my lesson when I was in quarantine in January. There’s no way I’ll take my kids to a hospital for something like flu-like symptoms unless there is a serious threat to their health. I’m not subjecting them to the hysteria of Taiwan’s hospitals unless I have to.

8 Likes

I’ve got to agree. I’d go a step further, since there is no cure for covid, flu, cold, or whatever, if I’m not at death’s door I’m staying home in self quarantine for 14 days, I don’t want to be locked up in any quarantine,.it’s not like they can help and I wouldn’t go out in public so…

3 Likes

So we have a pandemic right now spread by taiwanese in taiwan and she thinks the guy on a boat is the one who is most likely spreading it… typical!

Also that test sounded horrific, why hasn’t it been upgraded? i worry for the a-mas who are getting that nose rape test.

4 Likes

Just ask for them at any drugstore.

ok noted

ok will check tomorrow morning at nearest pharmacy, thanks.

I had two COVID tests when I was back in the UK (PCR) and neither hurt at all. A little uncomfortable for a second or two but no pain really.

I sincerely hope that this is hyperbole. We’re at like day 6 of xxx - it doesn’t bode well for the coming months if hospitals are already “overwhelmed”.

5 Likes

Taiwan had more than one year to prepare …
This is the result.

6 Likes

The blood tests should be for antibodies not active infection. The brain tickler nasopharyngeal swabs are still in use in the US, although labs have validated some tests for use with nasal swans or saliva–especially for self collection. But even the rapid antigen tests are often done with the brain ticklers.

1 Like

how were they done?

Are there some underground pharmacies where you can get “everything & more” OTC ?

In my experience, you can’t.

Medications for diabetes, antipsychotics, depression meds etc… you can’t get without prescription in Taiwan.

I can get any medicine OTC back home.

Who should get tested?

The testing sites are intended for people who have had contact with a COVID-19 patient or are themselves experiencing symptoms of the disease. People who do not meet these conditions should not go to the testing sites, in order to prevent the risk of transmission and a waste of medical resources.

1 Like

You just need to know where. A lot of pharmacies won’t officially sell stuff OTC but if you ask nicely and they think your not the feds you can get it. You may need to hit up a few pharmacies. Especially in the south or small towns. I had to go to 4 places, one said yes finally.

I never asked but I assume they wouldn’t give narcotic painkillers OTC

2 Likes

Up my nose.

Fever meds are a red flag. They won’t sell those and rather call the authorities on you.

1 Like

Source? Has this ever actually happened?

I’m like 98% confident that most, if not all, pharmacies in Taiwan aren’t going to call the authorities out on a customer if they try to buy common fever medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

7 Likes