Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

Curious what set him off? Was on local news earlier.

I am more curious why a) the cops bothered tracking him down b) why the didn’t give the cops the finger when they asked him to come down to the popo station for this.

PS. I think he was acting not cool, but but seriously, he had to go to the cop house for this ?!

3 Likes

I think that the cops are in the right for tracking down this guy. If he can be this disrespectful in public, what else do you think he’ll do ? A fine for lack of respect and discrimination is in order.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDdaXmYxwuA

My wife was telling me about this the other day. At the time I was surprised it hadn’t appeared on here yet.

What set him off? He’s a twat with anger issues. Don’t think his actions are worthy of any deep analysis. If it wasn’t this, it’d be something else.

Plus, do I have to remind anyone how these stories make it harder for the majority of us expats who aren’t raging, bigoted, dipshits?

5 Likes

It appeared that if the Taiwanese guy had came an inch closer , he would have got punched in the face, based on the video.
Although the Taiwanese guy was egging him on as well and should have dropped it instead of trying to chase down a pissed off guy.

I doubt he will have a job for long or any job in the future here in Taiwan.

absolute trash. the guy went to the police to be a hero to the taiwanese people for the disrespect this foreign white pig caused. how about that spanish guy who was almost stabbed to death, unprovoked and who has seen no justice? but a middle finger and taiwanese are bringing out the pitchforks and the cops are banging down the guys doors. i know the stabbing incident was not in taipei but i can’t help but make the comparison.

and no i don’t think this teacher was in the right, its obviously not cool at all but comparatively it ain’t shit.

7 Likes

What a non-event.

Has that Spanish guy said how his case went?

What started it off is unclear however it appears to involve an old lady, a large suitcase and an escalator. Latest I seen seems to indicate the old lady took the escalator down with her suitcase alongside her and then stopped at the bottom with her and the case blocking the way for everyone behind her, the guy apparently kicked it aside and then supposedly swore at her/it for good measure. What’s very odd is no video footage has yet emerged of this despite the fact it was definitely covered by a camera as all MRT station escalators are.

After this incident, Mr Civic minded took it on himself to call Mr Foreigner back to apologise to the old dear. He got sworn at too for his trouble. The video being circulated is the end of that altercation when Mr Civic gets the royal salute.

Mr Foreigner was tracked down after all the uproar and Mr Civic thrust into the limelight. They were both in the police station as Mr Civic will file a civil suit for damages once Mr Foreigner gets his conviction for public insults. The insults conviction will cost him a few hundred NT, the insults perhaps 100K. Mr Foreigner apologized to Mr Civic and Taiwan, cops were happy that things could end there but Mr Civic wants his 100K so the cases will continue.

Only a few people know what really happened but the above seems to be a reasonable summary of the facts which have come out so far, given they’ve come from the local media they could also be complete BS.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’d like to know more about this. A couple of times I’ve been in scary situations when I had to (gently) shove people out of the way at exits of escalators, because, well, stopping at the exit of a busy escalator endangers a lot of people. And I wouldn’t be shocked if I’ve muttered coarse language at the time, not so much at the people I’m shoving, but rather in the sense of “Oh fuck, I don’t want dozens of people piling up behind me.” (And I’ve had a close call in an escalator pile-up before. Terrifying.)

I like to think that I’d avoid the escalation that apparently followed, but heck, we all have bad days. Certainly if I felt like I’d just escaped a scary incident, I would NOT feel friendly towards someone telling me off for said escape.

2 Likes

Yep, I got told off for yelling at 3 middle aged xiaojies in Costco once. I was coming up the travelator about 10 feet behind them with a large Costco trolley. Once they reached the top they thought it a good place to stop of have a little chat about what direction they’d go next. A polite xiao xin/jie guo from 5 feet away didn’t phase them although one of them did stare transfixed by the handsome :grinning: foreigners approach and language skills. At 2 feet a louder less polite follow up was similarly ignored. The bellow at 0 feet just before the trolley crashed into their little pow wow party caused them to jump just before being skittled. Apparently I should have “warned them sooner”…sucked it up and just strolled on, luckily too as when I rounded the corner into the main floor there was quite an audience waiting. Could have been a very expensive day.

2 Likes

I’m sure she was an idiot. But it doesn’t excuse Mr Foreigner saying “F*** all you, Chinese.”

I’m guessing that the old lady probably swore at him, and he said “FYI, I don’t speak Chinese.”

1 Like

No, it doesn’t, but like I said, we all have bad days. And is there evidence he’s actually said that? It seems rather unidiomatic to me.

1 Like

yea nothing excuses him but i’m sure the luggage lady is somewhat to blame aswell. that part of the ximen mrt is always a cluster.

i transfer from the blue line to green every morning. its a mess. and taiwanese do have a pretty bad habit of blocking exits and stuff too without a single fuck given for others.

5 Likes

:new: :b:

If I had a dollar for every time someone in Taipei City stops at the top (or bottom) of an escalator to check their phones, have a chat, look around, etc. . . I may almost have enough coin to pay off the settlement after telling them to kindly get the f*ck out of the way.

Guy

6 Likes

There is no spatial awareness.

Even scooter drivers just suddenly stopping , without giving a shit about the people forced to emergency brake behind. Or entering the MRT and than stopping at the door.
Like nobody else could possibly be behind you.

But then I just got back from a trip to Korea and Taiwanese are damn civil when compared to Korea. There I was rudely elbowed by people all the time or old people would just cut in front whenever they wished. Put things in perspective for me

6 Likes

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!
You nailed it.
Exactly right.
They are oblivious to everything around them.

3 Likes

Wait . . Trying to catch up on this. Settlement? Like is this dude actually being fined? For what, public insult?