Foreign Spouses now part of national pension scheme

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Milkybar_Kid”][quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]After enquiring about this new pension scheme since it came into force in January, I have now come to the conculsion that the school where I work has no intention of contributing to a retirement fund for this foreign spouse. :raspberry:

I have also been advised by colleagues and my Taiwanese wife not to push this any further. The general viewpoint seems to be, “This is Taiwan - what is more important to you - these pension contirubtions or your job?”.

This is very dissapointing as I assumed that the rights of us foreign workers would be protected. It makes me sad to think that whilst in Australia sweeping floors for a living my employer contributed to a pension scheme, whereas here in Taiwan a teaching position gets nothing.

Maybe I could wait until it is time to leave and then start to enquire again for some back payments? :ponder:[/quote]
You could gently remind them that employers who violate the regulations will face fines of between NT$20,000 and NT$300,000.[/quote]

And I have been advised that they will then gently inform me that my services will not be required next semester (contract renewal time).[/quote]

But they can’t do this. You have an ARC based on your marriage, right? Why do you have a contract? How long have you worked there. Employers cannot just terminate contracts or refuse to ‘renew’ them in Taiwan. You should go the labor dept., explain the need for confidentiality, and have them deal with your employer. Perhaps wait until your contract has been renewed. If you contract is not renewed, go the labor dept and complain. At least you should get your severance pay and perhaps be eligible for unemployment insurance.[/quote]

Thank you for your advice. I will wait and see how things play out over the next few months.

All the best,

:sunglasses:

Manager: Taiwan has changed its rules. We tried to help you but they contacted us and so now you must pay 6% out of your pay packet. Dont worry, we all pay it.

Me: If it is my responsibility to pay, why did they contact you?

Manager: …

Me: This is something you should pay, not me.

Manager: If you feel that way, we will reduce your hourly pay.

Bastards!!!

Next step?

Good old Taiwan!

Was informed by my employer today that I have to pay the pension contributions out of my own salary, effectively amounting to a 6% salary cut, backdated from January. They will take two months payments from my salary next Thursday. Called the labor bureau to confirm that this is illegal, then went to speak to my employer. I told them that it is their legal obligation to make these contributions. Was told the usual Taiwanese nonsense "Blah, blah… we’ll have to reduce your salary… Foreigners earn much more than Taiwanese… You are on an hourly rate… Blah blah. I’m probably going to tell them to shove it. I have another job to go to, but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. What should be a nice little benefit for people such as myself (being married to a Taiwanese citizen), is actually going to make me less attractive to employers as I’ll be considered a burden or offered lower wages.

Did anybody seriously NOT see these problems coming? :laughing:

[quote=“alecinwonderland”]Good old Taiwan!

Was informed by my employer today that I have to pay the pension contributions out of my own salary, effectively amounting to a 6% salary cut, backdated from January. They will take two months payments from my salary next Thursday. Called the labor bureau to confirm that this is illegal, then went to speak to my employer. I told them that it is their legal obligation to make these contributions. Was told the usual Taiwanese nonsense "Blah, blah… we’ll have to reduce your salary… Foreigners earn much more than Taiwanese… You are on an hourly rate… Blah blah. I’m probably going to tell them to shove it. I have another job to go to, but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. What should be a nice little benefit for people such as myself (being married to a Taiwanese citizen), is actually going to make me less attractive to employers as I’ll be considered a burden or offered lower wages.[/quote]

Foreigner: The CLA said you have to pay for it

Taiwanese Manager: The rule does not apply to foreigners.

Welcome to Taiwan :smiley: :smiley:

Over the past several years, Taiwanese employers have done exactly the same thing to thousands of Taiwanese employees (tried to make the employee pay for the pension contribution). The CLA is well aware of the problem. You need to file a complaint. I believe this complaint goes to your LOCAL labor department/bureau not the CLA. Your employer cannot unilaterally reduce your pay. Keep your pay slips to prove your pay.

Did I see it coming? Yep. In fact my boss just sat me down and explained it to me and how it will come out of my pay. :fume:

Any chance Feiren or other well informed posters in this thread have links or suggestions about where to get actual government information on this new scheme. In particular I’m interested in the NT$150k cutoff/limit for contributions since my company is low balling if that really is the case and I need some black and white details to show them.

Sorry although not surprised to see TW scumbag laobans are passing the buck on paying this and unlikely to react well to having the CLA force their hand. I guess “over paid” westerners fall into the collateral damage category since this move from the government was anything but benevolence for bignoses. It seems far more like a vote grab strategy to toss a token financial bone to the many millions of bought foreign brides from SE Asia or more accurately their TWese [strike]owners[/strike] in-laws.

This is what I have found so far:

bli.gov.tw/print.aspx?a=YnxXM9tJiSM%3D

It doesn’t mention a NT$150k limit though.

There’s some information [here] on pages 17 and 18, but I couldn’t see anything on that bli.gov.tw site in a table form, which would be better.

Based on the experiences that have been shared on here so far it sounds like the shit hasn’t even hit the fan yet. Heads down for a bumpy ride ahead guys!

[quote=“plasmatron”]

Sorry although not surprised to see TW scumbag laobans are passing the buck on paying this and unlikely to react well to having the CLA force their hand. I guess “over paid” westerners fall into the collateral damage category since this move from the government was anything but benevolence for bignoses. It seems far more like a vote grab strategy to toss a token financial bone to the many millions of bought foreign brides from SE Asia or more accurately their TWese [strike]owners[/strike] in-laws.[/quote]

I really wonder how many of those foreign brides who work in the factories will actually get anything.

Once again Taiwan shows it’s true colours. It’s truly depressing seeing the treatment of workers here.

Could someone give a general description of the payout scheme for this scheme? It doesn’t really affect me (current status) but I would to know ballpark numbers of the benefits. And it doesn’t have to the super complicated formula but just pick an income level for X years and the approximate payout.

Help please. I have a spousal ARC, work for Taichung Public Schools, get paid by the school. Accountant told me a couple of months ago about the new pension plan, and they would put away 6%, some where every month (not deducting from me). Now, just got a new job back in the USA, will finish contract, ends at the end of June, and then leave in July. So I have about 5 1/2 months of pensions (25-30k NT). Can I get lump sum now, pay penalty? Or will I lose it? Or does it need to sit here for another 15-25 years and then have it sent to me, where ever I might be? If it sits here, will I have to declare it every year back in the US? Any thoughts/help are very welcomed. Thanks.

Why would you be able to cash it out? I would be happy if they paid into the national pension and push for that.