Foreign students at Taiwanese university?

Hi, everyone! I’m new to Forumosa so please forgive if my posting is a bit awkward~
I’m a student from the US, did a high school exchange to Taiwan a couple years ago and am now in the process of applying to universities at home and in Taiwan. Is there anyone here who’s applied, been accepted to, and/or is currently attending a Taiwanese university as an international student? Are there any tips you can give for applying or information on how easy/hard it is to get into universities?
I’m currently interested in Tamkang uni, Mingchuan uni, and National Cheng Kung uni, but if anyone has any recommendations for other schools with good international relations or political science programs, please let me know!

If you’re from the USA and haven’t royally screwed up high school, I am sure they will accept you. Universities here are suffering declining enrollment due to declining population. I would expect you to get admitted due to them wanting to get your tuition.

National Chengchi University has the oldest and most comprehensive programs taught in English. It also has multiple alliances for dual programs with universities in the US, Europe and Asia.

I second NCCU. It’s also a good school among locals and well respected.

Another possibility: apply for and get into a good US university that also has an exchange agreement with a good university in Taiwan. Then for your junior year, apply to be an exchange students in Taiwan for a year. This is one way to get the best of both worlds.

Guy

1 Like

I applied for master studies in Taiwan 3 years ago and can confirm that international students (from the west?) have very good chances of going to their preferred university. My previous record (high school and bachelor degree) was totally average, but that was not a problem. I assume it is similar for high school students applying for bachelor studies.
Many master and phd students (like me) also study at institutes with a lot of English courses, however the program is not primarily intended for foreigners. As these degrees still have quotas for foreign students (e.g. 10 reserved spots for foreign students per semester), it seems like even the highest ranking universities accept every serious foreigner application.

I don’t know if I can recommend this for bachelor students and I also don’t know about political science programs, but I encourage you to aim for the best ones, because your chances are good.

I also agree, go to US or Europe and do exchange to Taiwan.