Foreign Teachers Caught Working Illegally! 外籍老師違法打工

On the news today was a great clip of three “foreign teachers” illegally teaching in Keelung. One guy, Andre, punched and spat on the reporters. He also didn’t want to get onto the taxi that his Taiwanese managers were herding him into: “I want to finish this [fight],” he was heard saying.

Here’s the link and video footage from Dongsen News: nownews.com/videosite/index. … 4&avType=1

Andre, you on this forum? What are locals going to think of “foreign teachers” now?!

Entertaining, nonetheless.

Heh! Get a clue. Exactly the same as what they think right now.

Heh! Get a clue. Exactly the same as what they think right now.[/quote]

Sending a news crew to scoop foreign teachers working at a place not on the ARC, or without ARC? What base and ugly sentiment that already indicates. “Andrew” did nothing to influence anyone’s opinions–they held those opinions before he got to the island.

Really, that clip made me feel quite angry, myself. Those men were being used by the people employing them–who you can damn sure bet understood the laws, whether the men did or not. The men are opporating according to and with in the system as it has been created. Instead of a news story about unscrupulious employers circumventing regulation, we get criminalized immages of white guys. :fume:

Know the laws, people, and watch you back!

I saw this on TVBS last night, and though I’m not familiar with the facts, to their credit the caption read “校害師非法打工” which is pretty explicit that the school was in the wrong. The sound was down, I didn’t hear what they were saying. All things being equal I’m generally okay with Taiwan TV reporters being spat upon or whatever, I’m fine with my image being “hurt” with anyone who doesn’t get that.

[quote=“shawn_c”]On the news today was a great clip of three “foreign teachers” illegally teaching in Keelung. One guy, Andre, punched and spat on the reporters. He also didn’t want to get onto the taxi that his Taiwanese managers were herding him into: “I want to finish this [fight],” he was heard saying.

Here’s the link and video footage from Dongsen News: nownews.com/videosite/index. … 4&avType=1

Andre, you on this forum? What are locals going to think of “foreign teachers” now?!

Entertaining, nonetheless.[/quote]

No offence, but I wouldn’t find it so. I didn’t watch because it would probably annoy me no end.

Every time an incident like that happens, it makes every legal and honest worker look bad. There may not be a universal assumption that “all foreigners are bad”, but every case like this makes it easier for the Taiwanese to think that way.

Equally bad, I have to wonder how nosy and pushy the media would be or act around me. I like my privacy and don’t like having my picture taken except for legal reasons (only because I have to, not want to) or by close friends. I somehow doubt a reporter would have the respect to edit me out of such an item if I asked them not to put my face on TV, even though I’m living and working here legally.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”]
Every time an incident like that happens, it makes every legal and honest worker look bad.[/quote]

I see no evidence that Andre is dishonest. I guess Sleepyhead didn’t mean it that way?

Can’t really blame Andre at all. Something totally weird and unexpected happens, all of a sudden. The guy feels angry and upset and the reporters are winding him up. Of course he doesn’t stop to evaluate the impact his actions have, he just lashes out.

The image of the tiny scratch (or is it spit) on the reporter’s face is truly pathetic.

[quote=“smithsgj”]

The image of the tiny scratch (or is it spit) on the reporter’s face is truly pathetic.[/quote]

I almost spit out my drink when I saw that. Looked like a freaking mosquito bite. Hopefully it won’t leave a scar…lol

[quote=“smithsgj”][quote=“Sleepyhead”]
Every time an incident like that happens, it makes every legal and honest worker look bad.[/quote]

I see no evidence that Andre is dishonest. I guess Sleepyhead didn’t mean it that way?[/quote]

re-edit: You, smithsgj, understood my intended meaning, thank you.

[quote=“smithsgj”]Can’t really blame Andre at all. Something totally weird and unexpected happens, all of a sudden. The guy feels angry and upset and the reporters are winding him up. Of course he doesn’t stop to evaluate the impact his actions have, he just lashes out.

The image of the tiny scratch (or is it spit) on the reporter’s face is truly pathetic.[/quote]

I don’t want to attack the victim, but his overreaction isn’t going to help his cause. If government officials see his reaction, they might well say, “You’re not the sort of person we want in Taiwan,” and not listen to anything he has to say. If he had reacted more calmly, and everyone in Taiwan had seen that on TV, he might have a stronger appeal against deportation and been able to solely blame the school.

And as for scratching and spitting, in most any country that is considered assault. Even putting a hand on a person’s shoulder without permission can be considered assault if they make it known it’s unwelcome. That will likely be the final nail in Andre’s coffin.

My own difficulties - non-argumentative - with Taiwan’s immigration is their arrogance and ineptitude at giving out information. Asking them questions to clarify the law, to make sure I or others know legal obligations and rights, is like pulling teeth. The whole point of asking is to know how to stay out of trouble, and they act like such information needs to be kept secret. (If you’re in Singapore, don’t you want to know that spitting on the sidewalk and chewing gum are illegal?)

[quote]but his overreaction isn’t going to help his cause.[/quote]True. But when all legal, moral, democratic and logical avenues have been pursued and you’re still treated like this, only frustration remains.

When treated that invasively and badly, instinct kicks in and you don’t think about the consequences.

Hilarious!

Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!

Well, at least someone finds it hilarious!

I do, however, agree on the two points discussed here: you may just react aggressively as instinct; and that aggressive reaction isn’t going to help your case.

It’s definitely partly the school’s fault for hiring illegally - but in Taiwan, where stuff like this is common - it’s the norm. And teachers who are working without proper permissions can’t be blamed for doing so, either; considering the school is willing to hire them, and again, stuff like this in Taiwan is widely practiced.

One of my co-workers works at that school, too, actually, and she told me that Andre’s aggressive response was because a reporter actually kicked him in the back! And indeed, it does look like he was pushed/kicked, whereupon he turned around with a left hook.

Shit… Taiwan is truly a dark place. Reporters stirring up shit just to make more news.

Oh, and I hope that reporter fully “recovers” from his sustained “injuries.” :roflmao:

Reason # 1472 for why Expats build blocks and Engrish Teachurs play with them………literally :smiley:

I can’t find the video clip???

The video has vanished.

So why was he being herded into a Taxi by his boss?

What is going to happen to him or what happened to him?

Why were the media there anyway?

Was it a media witch hunt or was he really caught by the authorities?

Edit:
There’s a little bit more information here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77848&start=10

If memory serves it was a media witch hunt and not a police thing at all.