"Foreign wolf teachers"

“TAIPEI (Taiwan News)—In light of frequent reports of foreign teachers committing sexual offenses against their students in Taiwan in the past, the Legislature’s Education and Culture Committee has greenlighted a stricter clean slate bill for first-time foreign teachers in Taiwan, the Ministry of Education (MOE) said on Wednesday.”

it has another article linked which i read, is this true? there are frequent reports of foreigners committing sexual offences against students?

I challenge Taiwan News, and George Liao to provide evidence and links to articles supporting examples of “reports of foreign teachers committing sexual offenses against their students in Taiwan.”

I’ve never seen such a report, but reports of Taiwanese teachers committing sexual offences against their students is just daily news in Taiwan, and has been since long before the recent “suicide case,” which involved a Taiwanese teacher.

Can George Liao of Taiwan News provide evidence?

8 Likes

Yeah he just pony up or else delete the offensive statement as we all know the recent scandal was referring to a Taiwanese buxiban teacher, NOT a foreigner.

1 Like

yea thats what i was thinking. if its so frequent it would all over the news???

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3166018 heres the full article.

the hess article also links back to the writer who was raped, which somehow includes writing about foreigners, even though its stated none were involved… ok.

You’re barking up the wrong tree. Complain to the Ministry of Education, they are the ones who cited the reports of “foreign sex wolf teachers” in their decision to crack down on foreign cram school teachers. Read it and weep: http://www.cna.com.tw/news/ahel/201705170254-1.aspx

George is referring to the Ministry of Education’s words, they are the ones who cited the reports of “foreign sex wolf teachers” in their decision to crack down on foreign cram school teachers: http://www.cna.com.tw/news/ahel/201705170254-1.aspx

As the first sentence says “the Ministry of Education (MOE) said on Wednesday.” George is simply relaying what MOE said about “foreign sex wolf teachers.” http://www.cna.com.tw/news/ahel/201705170254-1.aspx

That’s a report from the CNA, not the MOE, and it doesn’t actually attribute the 外籍狼師 claim to the MOE; it merely implies it through reckless juxtaposition.

It appears that both of these news agencies have failed to perform basic fact checking.

Even if the MOE said such a thing, you would still have a responsibility to the public to handle the statement with care.

5 Likes

Here’s what the Ministry of Education actually said on May 17.

http://www.edu.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=9E7AC85F1954DDA8&sms=169B8E91BB75571F&s=8AAEA83D2DF95C3A

I don’t see anything about foreign wolves in there. Am I blind?

2 Likes

Withdraw your slanderous article. I read the CNA article (I can read Chinese). It doesn’t attribute who said ‘foreign wolf teachers’. It just throws it in randomly throughout the story and then quotes the MOE.

Total bullshit article with no references to its claims.

Also your excuse that we were just quoting somebody is pathetic!

You don’t even know who you are quoting.

Fire yourself and your racist LAZY ass ‘reporters’.
Rag.

3 Likes

Nice try yyy. That’s an official statement on their website, but CNA’s source was interviewing an MOE official in person.

We don’t mention “foreign wolf teachers” in our article. We would be negligent in not providing the full picture of what was being discussed as rationale for the crackdown.

What makes you say that? The CNA article doesn’t indicate that the MOE official said that.

We don’t mention “foreign wolf teachers” in our article. We would be negligent in not providing the full picture of what was being discussed as rationale for the crackdown.

It looks to me like the TN just translated the article, and by using the language “in the light of” deepened the impression that there was some feeling from the MOE that this is fact, although that is not reflected either in the official statement or the official’s interview, that I can see.

1 Like

We toned down CNA’s version, taking out the “sex wolf reference.” When citing the MOE, CNA used the term 表示, which means “stated,” or “said.”

“Previous frequent reports of foreign wolf teachers, the Ministry of Education said…”
過去外籍狼師頻傳,教育部今天表示

Are you suggesting the Central News Agency fabricated this statement by the Ministry of Education?

I’m suggesting that you’re misreading it. The full statement is:

過去曾陸續傳出外籍狼師來台犯案,教育部終身教育司長黃月麗表示,按照現行補習班管理準則,補習班聘僱外籍人士擔任補習班教師時,需附上台灣的警察刑事紀錄證明(良民證),這次修法特別明訂外籍教師聘僱規範,除了提高法律位階,也可依法開罰。

黃月麗指出,這次修法規定,補習班聘用外籍人士擔任教職員工時,第一次申請聘僱許可時,需檢附外籍人士原護照國開具的行為良好證明文件,而主管機關應主動查證及得派員檢查,希望在入境前就作不適任人員管控。

What I bolded is what she said, presumably as paraphrased by the reporter. The phrase “過去曾陸續傳出外籍狼師來台犯案” precedes any mention of a statement by her. The basis for the assertion within is unclear to me. Are you saying the text here definitely represents that this was stated by the MOE official?

1 Like

barking up the wrong tree? i just asked whether its true or not, the writer was raped by a taiwanese teacher, and i haven’t seen “frequent reports” of foreigners raping their students.

if i’ve missed them fair enough but i was only questioning.

Taiwan News continues to peddle this horrible racist crap without fact checking, quotes persons unknown (if you implied somebody said something they didn’t you could be in for a nice lawsuit), and then the worst bit is blamed others for being the opposite of professional and ethical with a load of lame excuses.

I’d have fired your ass if I was the boss because you’ve exposed your organization to a lawsuit , damaged the organizations reputation and do not know how to accept responsibility.

You are actually willing to put your name to this?
Ouch.

3 Likes

George translated that section of CNA’s article. It is a fact that CNA (a government news website that represents the words of the government) wrote this. We compile our articles based on a wide range of sources from translation to interviews to press conferences. I didn’t write this piece, so I don’t know of all the sources he used, but the point is that he was providing the service of translating what a government owned/run news site said about its rationale for passing the new law that affects English teachers (you’re welcome). MOE has not corrected CNA’s article. If you, tempogain, wish to pursue the matter futher, you should contact CNA and MOE. George is finished with the story.

The source is CNA, Taiwan’s government-run news service. If you feel that they are in error, you should contact CNA and ask them for clarification. We simply reported the what the government’s explanation was for the law. CNA is an extension of the government, understand?

I might just do that. Good day to you sir.

4 Likes