Foreigner Driving in the USA with a Taiwan Driver's License

Hi I was wondering if anybody here knows if its possible as a foreigner and ARC holder in Taiwan to get a Taiwan drivers licence and International Drivers Permit and then go hire and drive a car in the USA or Canada? Has anybody done this before and knows where I can get some more information on this? TIA

Yes, it is possible. I have done it twice. You will need both your license and the International permit to rent the car, as the permit is just a translation of your license.

Yes, the key element is the IDP. Without it the Taiwan License isn’t worth much.

Technically speaking, in some places (e.g., California) one doesn’t need an International Driving Permit to legally operate a vehicle (for up to a month or so), just a Taiwan driver’s license. Of course, having the IDP as well is always a good idea, esp. since Taiwan drivers’ licenses don’t have any English on them.

Where can I get one of them international driving license things here in Taiwan?

Believe it or not, I brought in to this world and confirmed upon them four new American citizens into this world with only a visit to AIT. Yet, the great state of New Jersey will not accept anything but a personal visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my license.

Worried about terrorists…

Come to Hong Kong and simply get a HK license on the back of your US one. I use my HK one all the time in the UK to rent cars so that if I get caught speeding I don’t get any points on my UK one. :slight_smile:

They are issued at the DMV, but only issued if you have a TW license, I believe.

For those who want an international driving license based on your ROC license, here are the requirements courtesy of the Kaohsiung city government. They are real foreigner friendly.

mvdis1.kcg.gov.tw/dep_17/Driving_application.htm

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]For those who want an international driving license based on your ROC license, here are the requirements courtesy of the Kaohsiung city government. They are real foreigner friendly.

mvdis1.kcg.gov.tw/dep_17/Driving_application.htm[/quote]

Actually by Taiwan standards that’s pretty good. If you highlight the text then it is even readable. :slight_smile:

My dear uncle uses a local Central American license in US -he’s US citizen, born in Michigan- because he says then if he runs a ticket, it does not affect his insurance…

So I guess driving with an international license or even Taiwanese license is not that bad.

Hey, thanks… I highlighted the text. It’s really readable now. But that’s too easy. Blue on Blue with fading text is a great design.

When your friends or uncles drive in the us with their home country licenses. Did they get their International Driving Permit in their own countries first? Or, did they get their permits in the US from some other source?
I like the idea of protecting you against points by using on your regular license.

As for insurance, I don’t have any American insurance. I’d use the Rental Company’s policy. Points or no points on my US license, it would not affect my insurance.

I believe it would affect the policy of whoever owns the car though. That’s why I will not drive my moms car when I’m home.

Does anyone know how long a Taiwanese International Driving permit is good for? I guess I have to get one before I go home.

PS: I’m loosing my license to speak English. Is it “effect” or “affect” in these cases… Help…

It’s good for the duration of your Taiwanese local driving permit.