Foreigner getting divorced in Taiwan. I want to stay.

So its been 14 years and My wife says She’s done. Still hoping she might snap out of some odd spell but not holding out for it.
Ive been in Taiwan for the last 13 years. I really feel it is home. I don’t want to uproot and have to head back to Canada.
I have a martial ARC which is good for anther two and a half years. I’d apply for an APRC but the problem is I have been paid off the books and also not paying tax. As far as education goes, I only have high school. Not sure I could even find a place that would be able to give me a work ARC.
Is there a way I can still be eligible for an APRC? Anyways around the tax or something?
My wife and I don’t hate each other. She is willing to give me the 2.5 years left on my ARC to work and save money to be better prepared for whatever comes next after this.
If she really wants the divorce I’ll give it to her and maybe even sooner if I was able to obtain an APRC.

The foreign spouse of a ROC national with household registration in Taiwan is not required to document income at least twice the minimum income to qualify for an APRC. You can submit your wife’s tax statement or even just your local Taiwanese bank account statements to show that you have a enough income to support your living. Be prepared to exactly explain your situation in a positive way at the NIA though.

As for not paying taxes - please contribute your fair share. Especially if you plan on staying permanently. Other than that, why not take night classes at one of the many universities in Taiwan to get a bachelor degree? It’s not much, but surely better than a high school diploma.

1 Like

APRC as a suppose of a ROC citizen is the easiest way, especially if your wife is willing to help you get the status. If your wife or her family has enough income or other asset to support you, you can get APRC.

Anyone applying for permanent residency as the spouse of an ROC national shall present any of the following documents for verification by the National Immigration Agency:

a. Statement on income, taxation, movable or immovable property in Taiwan;

b.
Statement issued by the employer to certify employment, or the applicant’s own statement in writing detailing job descriptions and incomes;

c.
Certificate issued by the ROC government certifying that its holder is a professional or technician or has passed a technical examination.

d.
Other document that is sufficient to prove that the applicant is capable of supporting himself or herself and making a living.

The documents don’t need to be yours. can be your wife’s as @hsinhai78 said.

Thats great news. I’ll look into those things. Still wish my wife would reconsider this decision.

Indeed. 14 years is a lot to just throw out of the window…
I hope everything works out with you guys.

Thanks. I hope so too.

I have been reading up and in a few places the general opinion is If a Chinese woman wants a divorce with a foreign man most cases result in the woman being granted the divorce regardless of whether or not there are grounds. Is this for real? There are no actual cases stated but that is a general opinion. Any thoughts on this?

From what I know Taiwanese women have a lot of privileges here, regardless of wether she married a foreigner or another Taiwanese

Not too comforting. Not only I am standing to lose my marriage but also everything I have worked for over my 13 year stay in Taiwan. Pretty much my entire adult life.

Nobody can force you to sign divorce papers, just don’t sign. YOu can still live separate lives. Don’t sign. WIsh I followed my own advice years ago.

I guess OP’s worry is about the divorce by a court order. I think it’s would be better OP agrees to sign in exchange to her corporation to get his APRC, if she is determined.

Its not that easy to get a divorce in Taiwan if BOTH parties don’t agree.
The court is not inclined to force a divorce without some serious reason.

Such as insanity , or a long jail term.

Don’t sign until you have your ducks in a row.

I’m not suggesting to sign it, but to use the card to obtain the best outcome, if it is sure that OP and his wife cannot continue a happy marriage.

Cultural differences might be judged as a significant reason for a divorce.

Completely agree. The sign should be done after getting APRC.

You have more rights then you think
Don’t cave under pressure

Tw courts hate to get involved in marital issues
There won’t be a one sided divorce judgement without an overwhelming reason

Thanks everybody. Reading what I read rattled my cage. Just don’t want my life to go down the drain. Love being here and love what I have been able to do in Taiwan. Love the friends I have and don’t want to lose everything. I’m a bit more at ease now. Thanks again