Foreigner in a Mercedes involved in hit and run

[color=#008000]Moderator note: Merged with the “A Personal Statement from Zain Dean” thread. Zain’s personal statement is here. --DB 4/17/2011 1:53pm[/color]

i just got a text message from a chinese friend saying that an English guy killed someone yesterday and that he drives a benz…I was warned that I might get some stares today as I too am a foreigner and drive a benz…I’m not concerned about stares but I am curious if this is a related story or if my chinese friend was wrongly informed and is referring to this exact story or if it’s a completely seperate situation involving a totally different person…haven’t been able to reach my friend to confirm their source of information

I’ve heard only a few details, but it doesn’t appear to be connected to the Rhodesian expat.

Thanks maoman, do you know if the suspect was apprehended?..if not, that does make me a little nervous driving around…

Why?

Does your car also have bloody dents in it?

More importantly, what’s your benz? :sunglasses:

no bloody dents and the police said different color…but that doesn’t change the way people in this country associate things…i had a comment at the local corner store downstairs moments ago…

Color? Model? Year? How would they know it’s an English guy if it was a hit-and-run? I’ve not read anything about it.

I hope my neighbors don’t draw a dotted line to my car, either…

They already got the guy in custody. Guy has 16 years living here, and the press was going mad.

The car was half totalled, from what they showed. Defense claims he was not driving at the time, issue still under investigation…

got link?

[quote=“Icon”]They already got the guy in custody. 16 years living here, and the press was going mad.

The car was half totalled, from what they showed. Defense claims he was not driving at the time, issue still under investigation…[/quote]

Does that mean more than a few dents in the car then?

nownews.com/2010/03/27/138-2584758.htm

The guy was not a Caucasian…Indian holding a UK passport. Claims at the time he was passed out drunk and a friend was driving.

Mr. Zain Dean, British citizen. CEO, NCL Media UK (Taiwan Branch) - Marketing and Branding.

Zain Dean (林克穎)

NCL Media Website Scroll to the bottom of the webpage to see a video clip of a presentation he gave.
LinkedIN profile

TVBS News report 03-27-2010
The gist of the news story. Mr. Zain Dean’s black Mercedes Benz was allegedly involved in a hit and run accident which killed a 24 year old newspaper delivery scooter rider who was the sole provider for his family. The car left the scene of the fatal accident and was taken to Mr. Dean’s usual car mechanic by his girlfriend. While the car was at the auto mechanic’s shop, another regular customer who just happened to be a retired police officer who specialized in car accidents saw the car sitting in the repair bay. He recognized the car as being the same make and model of a suspected hit and run fatality from the night before. While he was there, Mr. Dean’s girlfriend allegedly showed up to tell the mechanic that they would not be repairing the car, although it had repairable damage, and had decided to junk it instead. A tow truck arrived and towed it to Wugu for destruction. This retired police officer called it in because he felt it was very strange to junk a Benz that could be repaired. Mr. Dean was subsequently arrested for suspicion of drunk driving. When questioned, Mr. Dean allegedly said that he was drunk in the passenger seat and he was definitetly not driving the car. He said that a club valet was driving him home. Mr. Dean was granted $150,000 NTD bail and restricted from overseas travel until the matter is fully invesigated.

[color=#FF0000]This is a rough translation from the news stories that have been appearing in the news. Mr. Dean is considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law[/color].

Man…this site is frightening…

He’s well known to many Forumosans. In fact, he was one of my roommates in 1995. :noway:

Nobody said he was white, they said he was English… Thats a normal term for UK Nationals.

But the news report said he bought a ticket to leave Taiwan after the accident and tried to have the car junked when it could have been repaired.

My god, it’s been a bad couple of days for wai gwor rens behaving badly!

Nobody said he was white, they said he was English… Thats a normal term for UK Nationals.
[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: Great call.

With that shown on TV I think that any foreigner driving a mercedes would be safe.

Tried to junk his car and is trying to leave the island. Doesnt sound too innocent. Duh.

It usually IS. We just don’t usually make the news, that’s all. :stuck_out_tongue: