Foreigner With Monkey on His Head

I keep noticing foreigners running around town in these funny old man hats.

Why do they embarrass themselves by wearing something they would never wear at home, and if they did wear it, someone would knock it off their head.

This is obviously part of some syndrome (of some name???) where foreigners come to Taiwan, act stupid, dress stupid, etc. and other things they would never do at home. And then Taiwanese end up thinking these are normal people acting normal like they do at home.

I swear, someday I expect to see a foreigner with a monkey on his head, thinking he is cool, and then my Taiwanese friends commenting to me that all foreigners must wear monkeys on their head. I’m already tired of explaining that these odd things foreigners do are not normal typicial behavior.

Just a foreigner (that doesn’t wear funny hats) ranting…

By the way, I apologize in advance if I offended any foreigners with funny hats, or monkeys, on their head.

I wear a funny hat -not proudly- but it is by doctor’s orders (protect as much of me from the sun).

And yes, as a girl, I find it funny that furriners complain about the way people dress here… when most of us are not straight out of the pages of VOGUE, exactly. We do abuse of the privilege of going to work in jeans and flip-flops. Though that is the way you know it is an English teacher: bermuda shorts, wrinkled T-shirt, TEVAs… that is all you need, truth be told.

Now, regarding color coordination… I call it a “cultural constraint”, just like logic.

What is a ‘funny old man hat’?

What bothers me is the number of hairy, overweight foreign men (like myself) walking around shirts off, beer in the hand. At all hours. :ponder:

Can’t imagine myself going to 7-Eleven without a shirt on. :neutral:

define “silly old man hats”. Do you mean trilby’s, fedoras and the like or flat caps like old men wear in Yorkshire?

I have a heavy duty wide brimmed hat for rainy days and I was wearing it a long time before I came here.

But I’m interested in your definition.

now when you say a funny old man hat, just what do you mean? please post a picture, preferably of said foreigner with said headgear in place.

actually, post TWO pictures, of different people. that wat we can be sure that one of them is not you.

but hey, how do you know these are the sort of people who wouldn’t do it “at home”?

and how do you know that this place (taiwan) is not their home?

many of us have been here longer than we can remember, or care to admit, and see no sign of moving elsewhere. that would be home, then, wouldn’t it?

what were we talking about again?

I have 17 hats at last count. Everything from a Mountain Hardwear Legionnaire’s hat with neck flap to a rabbit fur brown derby that cost me nearly 7,000 clams. I don’t know if any are old man hats or not, but thank FUCK, not a single one of them is one of those godawful baseball cap things that all Americans seem to wear as if they’re glued to their heads.
Americans cannot wear hats, I’m totally convinced!

[quote=“sandman”]
Americans cannot wear hats, I’m totally convinced![/quote]

I always thought they could in the old B&W movies. God knows hat happened then. Trousers hanging around the bottom of their arses and bloody baseball caps.

[quote=“sandman”]I have 17 hats at last count. Everything from a Mountain Hardwear Legionnaire’s hat with neck flap to a rabbit fur brown derby that cost me nearly 7,000 clams. I don’t know if any are old man hats or not, but thank FUCK, not a single one of them is one of those godawful baseball cap things that all Americans seem to wear as if they’re glued to their heads.
Americans cannot wear hats, I’m totally convinced![/quote]

one word; john wayne

I think he was referring to something like this. Do you ever wear a hat like that?

More to the point, is that you?

So you still haven’t told us what a funny old man hat is.

I hear ya, brother. How dare they wear their silly monkey hats. Set the laowai free!

I think he was referring to something like this. Do you ever wear a hat like that?

More to the point, is that you?

[/quote]
Don’t be silly. That guy looks like he can read.

Mmm… fedora style might be the one… and makes me laugh inside everytime I see it. Especially with the shorts and t-shirt and I think some type of chain around the neck.

It isn’t that the hat that is funny. Hats are ok. It is humorous thinking about the whole situation, attire, location… and humorously wondering “Why are you (not) thinking???”.

Kind of like Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, “Emperor who has no clothes” who doesn’t know how odd he is until the child screams “he had no clothes on at all”. It isn’t just the look, it the whole situation of foreigner in foreign land…

Makes as much common sense as a monkey on the head.

Fedora style? Kids are wearing those all over the world these days. Where have you BEEN, man? Like, dude, you are just SO out of the loop. Talk about revealing your total unhipness! :laughing:

Oops, just checked the “Fedora Fashion Annual Issue”… fedora is so last month…

Is it possible the Muddys rehearse near Tango42?

HG

I’ve seen some laowai’s here lookin’ purty sharp in their fedoras and similar hats, wailin’ away on their instruments. They were wearing suits, or at least suspenders, though. Mighta looked silly with the same hats if they were in tees and shorts.

[quote=“tango42”]I keep noticing foreigners running around town in these funny old man hats.

Why do they embarrass themselves by wearing something they would never wear at home, and if they did wear it, someone would knock it off their head.[/quote]

Why do you care what others wear?

Maybe they left their home countries and came here because jagoffs in their home countries couldn’t mind their own business and kept knocking their hats off their heads?

I think the OP should just cut to the chase. If he thinks the name of the band should be David Chen and the Monkey Hat Ramblers, just say so.