Foreigners avoiding each other

does the foreigner include SE Asian?

why not?

1 Like

strong text[quote=“Taipeiking, post:249, topic:202746, full:true”]
Foreigners that smoke make the most friends of all Nationalities.
[/quote]

And generally die young …of smoking

Just kidding it’s not a proven fact…

For me , especially SE Asians. They always look so happy to be acknowledged so I keep doing it. Sometimes even get into a chat with them, generally very nice people

1 Like

Its good to know.

When people are talking on foreigners here, it often sounds like they are talking on westerners.

Well frankly I have to pull the race card on this one. I find that the white Westerners are more likely to avoid me, not all of them avoid me, but many of them. For Western citizens who are black or generally POC, they are less likely to avoid me. I am a black man myself so that’s why I say this. Part of the reason for this could be prejudice, or because of the individualistic nature of most Westerners. But just because I see another black person, it doesn’t mean I will say, “Hey brotha/sista!” Because even black folks from the West are just as individualistic as the white ones as to why they would avoid me.

1 Like

Huh, interesting.

I’m white. I’ve noticed that white Westerners generally avoid even the slightest of eye contact with me. I’ve been walking down empty streets, where it’s just me and the white guy at opposite ends walking towards each other. They purposely (seems to me) avoid any eye contact whatsoever. I’m not looking to strike-up a conversation or even nod, it just seems weird, because even in the US, folks will make quick eye contact in such situations. The avoidance seems entirely deliberate.

Whereas with blacks (including non-US ones), in Taiwan, I would say 99% of the time we make eye contact, and acknowledgment usually appears friendly. Even with a “Hey man, how’s it going?” or some such, once in a while, and again, neither of us is looking to strike-up a conversation.

I have a 100% hit rate of rabid homophobia.

Yes, I find that to be true. But in the end it all boils down to personal character.

2 Likes

say, hey (hey), you (you)
Get off of my cloud
Hey (hey), you (you)
Get off of my cloud
Hey (hey), you (you)
Get off of my cloud

Don’t hang around 'cause two’s a crowd
On my cloud, baby

1 Like

uhh okay

Once I saw a guy with a #99 Rangers sweater. He was wearing earphones, but I still greeted him with RANGERS! He heard and smiled.

How the hell is that true?

yeah I saw a dude wearing a steelers jersey here, I rarely see NFL clothing so I had to say something to him lol

1 Like

Before covid - Three young ladies asking me how to go to Elephant mountain then I replied them Kabayan ! with a smile: and followed typical questions from them which I’m happy to replied back.

1 Like

I have met both extremes. The expat who would only mingle with expats and the “noob” who feels so much into local culture that he/she purposely avoids foreigners. I remember this American guy in our dorm back in NSYSU who would slam the door on my face and even pretend I didn’t exist once when I asked him “are you using the washing machine?”, while drooling like a baby when Taiwanese students were talking to him :rofl: :rofl: Wonder what he is up to now.

I don’t think westerners keep such kind of thinking. According to me it’s all upon individuality.

Now the post has been talked about extensively.

Are you going to greet the next foreigner you see?

1 Like

Let’s create a gang sign for Forumosans. Subtle enough not to stand out awkwardly, but clear enough that others “in the know” could respond, if they wish.

Any suggestions?
:wink::point_left::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

There already exists a secret sign.

4 Likes