Foreigners banking discrimination?

A local citizen doesn’t require a passport by law. So other documents have to be allowed.

2 Likes

I never have to show my passport. I just give them my ARC and bank book when I go in.

Thanks for all the answer.

I think many of you just wanted to say their opinions without really answering the question.

Some others tried saying that it’s a common rule.

Still we don’t know if it’s a written policy or not. Anybody knows?

The bank tellers should know.

1 Like

The point is that the tellers will tell you it’s company policy anyway, and they’re not going to give you a copy of their internal documents. So why does it matter whether they’ve written it down or not?

1 Like

Many banks tell what kinds of documents you need to do something at banks.

Some banks request ID and passport from both of locals and foreigners to open account. Some banks say foreigners with ARC don’t need passport to open account. For checking deposits, all foreigners need passport at Bank of Taiwan.

I didn’t need a passport to update my ARC information at banks.

Great point. I asked and they could NOT come out with a policy where it’s written that foreigners need to show passport as second document.

You see. You didn’t need passport to update the ARC. So probably it means it’s not mandatory. So what can I do to explain them I don’t need to show passport if it’s like this?

What I’ve thought of are

1. Ask to their headquarters
  2. Ask to NIA
  3. Ask to their governing authorities
1 Like

Why not just show the passport and save the Internet? Everybody does the same here, it does not make my life better to show or don’t show my passport. Usually I just do and get my stuff done.

3 Likes

Why not just show the passport and also know the answer to my question. I can do both :slight_smile:

People know the answer to your question. Different banks have different policies regarding passports from foreigners. They are allowed to do that.

4 Likes

The government regulations for banking are here:
Financial Supervisory Commission (fsc.gov.tw)

You know the answer for your question, just show whatever they require and get the job done :*

Every bank I’ve been to this week to update my new UI number has asked for my passport even though my TARC doesn’t show a passport number. I went to apply to the Taiwan passport just to mess with the next banks I need to update!

“Please show us your passport from your home country, too” - Probably :man_shrugging: :grin:

4 Likes

‘I don’t have a home country. You guys forced me to give it up!’

:rofl:

We can do this the easy way or the hard way. The hard way involves my lawyers suing you for discrimination.

4 Likes

This is the default response I’m expecting but I’m bringing my naturalization certificate with me. I’ll refuse to give them my original passport! (my salary and saving accounts have already been updated, so screw the other banks lol)

2 Likes

That escalated quickly lol

Wouldn’t have been the first threat from me.