Foreigners in Taiwan perspective

I am white, but I am invariably hailed as weiguoren.

They don’t mean any harm because they think you shouldn’t be offended at being treated as a guest even if you have lived here for 20 years.

Honestly its not a big deal, if you are going to live here long term then you need to develop a thick skin and adapt to things how they are here. Which i have / am but i still think using Taiwanese intentions isn’t the best measuring stick. It is a culture where you shouldn’t question your elders and should avoid confrontation, which imo has led to a lot of 
quirks.

1 Like

Absolutely. that was what I was saying. just for reference the full quote:

In this sense it is obvious that Taiwan has very little venomous racism. And, ironically, racism is rampant. it is mostly based on ignorance however and superficial cultural norms, not hate. that was the distinction I was trying to make.

Of course Taiwan REALLY needs to step up its awareness, attention to details, empathy, special realities etc. There really is no denying this issue. I agree. but Taiwanese cannot be compared to racists in the west because it is an entirely different beast. The taiwanese title/judgement cultural system isnt at all focused on foreigners. it is simply focused on superiority, regardless of each groups gripes with said system. Absolutely, taiwanese complain about the Taiwanese title/judgement system far more than any amount of foreigners do. They live with their families, work for their bosses, obey their teachers etc.

If one truly wants to counter being treated like this, it cannot be done from a western front. To that I mean first it must be done in mandarin, if not a more localized language like Taiwanese or hakka. Taiwanese is best because they are often “that class” of people with the harshest judgements of people. but that’s a judgement in and of itself :melting_face: Clap back in mandarin, but use local customs as the norm. no one will listen if a person just shouts at them for being cunts then has a superiority complex with foreign countries as examples.

To be honest, I find " taiwanese" the easiest culture to converse with because of their obedience to confidence and titles. it’s never a good way to push like Taiwanese, but if you come across literate, with logical points that can be explained clearly and effectively, taiwanese do tend to be able to listen after and change their views. I cant say this for north american cultures, and indeed I have learned a lot in the sense of changing my views when presented with facts.

I find Taiwan very easy to communicate in person to person. But before I learned mandarin, I was just as frustrated as most westerners here. And I still am because mandarin is a life long goal (I hope someday fluency is in the cards)

1 Like

Your assimilation into the local culture is now complete: playing with your phone while driving.

5 Likes

Lol, you think I can type long posts while driving? that would be something. Would explain the typos nicely though. Sadly, I am usually on this site when I am waiting on people for deliveries. I am constantly left delayed sitting in a truck somewhere waiting for people that are habitually late. Once they arrive, I pack up and hit the road :slight_smile:

If anything my assimilation is complete because I now have the patience not to behead selfish a holes on the daily for fucking up everyone’s schedule when they dick around being late :slight_smile: No phones, tv screens etc in the vehicle. Dont worry :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Imo taiwanese people are more friendly particulary to " white people" saw this taiwanese chick in front of me befriending this white person seated beside her while her boyfriend is in the other side and yes she was aggressive about it. Lol. So if you asian / malaysian or thai they wont treat you any better

Why is this in quotes?

White people are more ironic? :thinking:

By “friendly” do you mean annoyingly presumptuous?

1 Like

Hey, at least there’s some punctuation.

2 Likes

So wrong. Thai’s/ Thailand are/is well liked in by Taiwanese. Malaysian/ Singaporean Chinese are liked too. They are èŻäșș after all. Koreans/ Japanese? fuhgeddaboudit, they basically have demi god status here in Taiwan.

I’d say the people who get looked down on most are Fillipino’s then Indonesian, Vietnamese and mainlanders.

2 Likes

Some? If I see more misused apostrophes in this thread, it’s possible I may scream.

Guy

i admit its’ a tough " call between ‘’ no punctuation at all or misuse.of it

4 Likes