Foreigners should speak the local lingo!

[quote=“ludahai”][color=#800000]Moderator note: This topic was split from a discussion about [url=Xinbei City? County being renamed Xinbei City[/url][/color]

[quote=“Anatoli”][quote=“QAM”]

Think integrated and you won’t need united. If Taiwanese can design chips, they and we can name locations with a variety of systems, as writers see fit.[/quote]

These are slogans, meanwhile Taiwanese place and street names are being romanised as writers see fit making foreigners wonder, which street is which.[/quote]

Which is why I typically read the Chinese on the signs… nothing to worry about…[/quote]

[quote=“In July of 2003, ludahai”]I am new to this forum. I am an American who lives in Taichung, or is it Taijhong (Taizhong), or Taizhong, I am confused.

Although I support Taiwan’s independence, Taiwan really should adopt the Hanyu Pinyin system and use it for all of the signs. I have seen the same place spelt 3, 4 or more different ways. I usually just read the Chinese on the signs, but I know that isn’t an option for fellow foreigners who can’t read Chinese.[/quote]

I guess some event or process in the seven years since your first post accounts for difference between its tone and that of some of your recent posts.