Forget the Afghanistan pull out

Distinguish between early Shrub and late Shrub, if you please. The NYT sat on the story of domestic wiretapping in the run-up to the Bush-Kerry contest – a decision that may have done much to alter the outcome of the election. Bush Jr certainly had a MSM press honeymoon of his own.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Distinguish between early Shrub and late Shrub, if you please. The NYT sat on the story of domestic wiretapping in the run-up to the Bush-Kerry contest – a decision that may have done much to alter the outcome of the election. Bush Jr certainly had a MSM press honeymoon of his own.[/quote]Bush Jr had a MSM press honeymoon? :noway: I’m calling BS! :popcorn:

The domestic wiretapping was of foreigners of interest calling people in the US and it was all perfectly legal.

[quote=“the chief”]Forget the Afghanistan Pull Out?

Jeez, it took me six months to perfect that, and now I have to forget it?
Yeesh.
Guess I’ll just have to stick to the Venus Butterfly…
:unamused:[/quote]

took you six months and three babies?

[quote=“Okami”][quote=“Jaboney”]Distinguish between early Shrub and late Shrub, if you please. The NYT sat on the story of domestic wiretapping in the run-up to the Bush-Kerry contest – a decision that may have done much to alter the outcome of the election. Bush Jr certainly had a MSM press honeymoon of his own.[/quote]Bush Jr had a MSM press honeymoon? :noway: I’m calling BS! :popcorn:

The domestic wiretapping was of foreigners of interest calling people in the US and it was all perfectly legal.[/quote]
Call BS all you want. The rally-'round-the-Commander-in-Chief effect was real, pronounced, and exploited.

And whether or not domestic wiretapping was perfectly legal, it was a major story that the MSM sat on at the Administration’s request in the run-up to the election.

[quote=“Okami”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]How does Fox’s reporting on the story tie in to your theory?

foxnews.com/world/2010/06/14 … ghanistan/

EDIT: Oh for god’s sake Mods, that was totally uncalled for. You deleted my post because I laughed at Okami’s insane conspiracy theory. Lay off the censorship. We’re all big boys and girls and can handle a discussion without your undue interference. Thanks.[/quote]This is not the first time you have trolled my posts and made rude references with pictures without even bothering to address the facts that this inform[color=#FF0000]3 years in publically available documents.[/color]ation has been known for over Even worse is the fact that the reason it’s not exploited is because you can’t exploit it easily as none of the infrastructure is there to do anything. Resource extraction in 3rd world countries is a huge gamble just from a political POV without even bothering to address the business POV. Afghanistan is a country where moving something 100 miles is an ordeal so how are they going to be moving ore, chemicals or lithium?

The only thing saving Obama’s ass in Afghanistan is a complacent MSM. If he was Bush the media would be making every screwup a 24-48 hour montage of how they are screwing it up. The US Army is adopting the failed WW2 German policy of supplying their bases using airplanes.[/quote]

Are these documents available on the internet? I am really curious to see how the value of these resources was determined. Based on what I’ve seen so far and my experience in the mineral extraction field as both an Engineer and an investor, I’m not convinced this trillion dollars is anything more than conjecture.

The report: usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1819

A Wired article about it: wired.com/dangerroom/2010/06 … otherlode/

If this story had ran during the Bush years in the NYT it would of lead to numerous jokes, commentaries and op-eds about how we are only their to steal their stuff.

[quote=“Jaboney”]The rally-'round-the-Commander-in-Chief effect was real, pronounced, and exploited. [/quote]I don’t remember any of the 8 years of the Bush presidency being remotely like this. Even Clinton wanted to take Saddam out and said he was a danger.

Why does every single thread, no matter which country it starts out discussing, have to be dragged down to a slapfight between Bush and Obama supporters?

It probably is just conjecture. You see these SWAGs every time a new resource field is discovered and it becomes the “new Saudi Arabia of XYZ”. It could be a trillion dollars worth of materials, or 100 billion, but that’s just a guess at the value of the raw materials on the world market. They aren’t saying how much it will cost to extract. If it costs 10 trillion to extract for 1 trillion worth of resources, then the stuff will never get to market.

Beats me. Okami went off on a MSM-kissing liberal butt screed. Which strikes me as silly, since anyone short of Palin-esque idiocy would get the soft touch for a while.
And that’s the problem. The US presidency comes with way too much office charisma and deference. A parliamentary Question Period is a very healthy thing. As is an independent, competitive, responsible press. But if you have to settle for one, it’s a whole lot easier to establish and maintain a parliament.

Off topic, but that is highly debatable. The Bush Administration ignored the FISA statutes requiring approval from a special court within 72 hours after setting up the wiretap. After the story broke, the Bush Administration admitted to making a conscious decision to not seek court approval, claiming that its constitutional powers and the PATRIOT Act invalidated FISA. The trouble is, the PATRIOT Act did not repeal or modify the aspect of FISA requiring special court approval. The Bush Administration made no attempt to consult key members of Congress or the judicial branch. As you may recall, Congressmen from both parties spoke out against the administration when the story broke.

The issue was never settled in court, but the administration did agree to a compromise revision of FISA, which Bush signed into law. That at least indicates the administration knew its actions were not “perfectly” legal.

[quote=“Okami”]The report: usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1819

A Wired article about it: wired.com/dangerroom/2010/06 … otherlode/

If this story had ran during the Bush years in the NYT it would of lead to numerous jokes, commentaries and op-eds about how we are only their to steal their stuff.

Thanks for the Links. IMO the wired article is pretty factual. The only thing this whole issue demonstrates is the detoriation of the mainstream media to nothing more than a mouth piece for big government and/or big corportations. As for the whole Bush vs Obama / Rep vs Dems thing… why all the fanatacisim? America doesn’t look any different under Obama then it did Under Bush.

The US pays 100s of millions to the Taliban and insurgency for the privileged of fighting them. The reason being that about 10 to 30% of the transportation costs to secure supply routes are paid directly to insurgent commanders to pass through their areas.

The American military doesn’t know who private contractors are paying to truck supplies or don’t want to know or turn a blind eye to it.

No one wants to fund the enemy.

:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

Here is a hint, if you want to know what an exit strategy looks like, Korea, Japan and Germany are good places to start.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

Here is a hint, if you want to know what an exit strategy looks like, Korea, Japan and Germany are good places to start.[/quote]

And thank goodness for that. I’d sleep better at night knowing the Americans were keeping an eye on that s–thole.

I can’t wait to see what the reaction in Canada is. Will Canadians get a piece of the pie? :popcorn:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

Here is a hint, if you want to know what an exit strategy looks like, Korea, Japan and Germany are good places to start.[/quote]

And thank goodness for that. I’d sleep better at night knowing the Americans were keeping an eye on that s–thole.

I can’t wait to see what the reaction in Canada is. Will Canadians get a piece of the pie? :popcorn:[/quote]

Canadian reaction? Nah, we’ve got lot’s of that mineral stuff (well maybe not the Lithium). Still this won’t do anything to change the America is going to invade us for our oil vs America is going to invades us for our water debate.

[quote=“Gman”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

I can’t wait to see what the reaction in Canada is. Will Canadians get a piece of the pie? :popcorn:[/quote]

Canadian reaction? Nah, we’ve got lot’s of that mineral stuff (well maybe not the Lithium). Still this won’t do anything to change the America is going to invade us for our oil vs America is going to invades us for our water debate.[/quote]

Yes, threat of an American invasion is the best way to keep the people too scared to fight the established power. Just another case of Harper & Co. stealing a page from Chavez’s playbook.

Anyway, I came here to post this:
businessinsider.com/heres-wh … gus-2010-6

[quote]Where do they get the trillion-dollar figure? We can only guess, but given their own description, they have not done the work necessary to generate any reasonable estimate. It’s worth pointing out that the vast majority of mineral outcroppings and other anomalies never lead to economic discoveries, much less mines. Even a very rich vein sticking right out on surface can turn out to be the last dregs of a system that has been eroded away, leaving nothing but a tease behind. For gold, the odds of an anomaly leading to an economic discovery are often cited as being on the order of 300 to one, against.
No responsible geologist would circulate a valuation figure at this stage of the process in Afghanistan. In fact, if a public company put out a press release like this story in the NYT, the exchange would likely reprimand them severely and require a retraction.
[/quote]

Expect spam e-mails from phony investors telling you how YOU can PROFIT from the TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS in Afghanistan soon. That;s the only people who are likely to make any cash from this this decade, if this business insider article is correct.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

I may have my facts wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure the US is still in Korea 40+ years later, and the US is still Japan’s defense department 60+ years on - not much of an exit really, I hope they aren’t previews of Iraq/Afghanistan decades from now…

I think the Americans have learned from France’s playbook. They’ll lure the Chinese and Russians in with promises of great wealth, and then slowly back out leaving those two powers with no choice but to bring their own troops in to protect their investments. They will in turn become the new targets for Al Queda and Taliban both domestically and abroad, leaving the US free to concentrate on other interests from the moral high ground.

Sucks to be Afghani, like it sucked to be Vietnamese.

Of course I am joking. I don’t think the Americans are nearly as smart as the French in these matters.

[quote=“Gman”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]:roflmao: at anyone who thinks there is an exit strategy.

Canadian reaction? Nah, we’ve got lot’s of that mineral stuff (well maybe not the Lithium). Still this won’t do anything to change the America is going to invade us for our oil vs America is going to invades us for our water debate.[/quote]

America invade Canada…highly unlikely. Annexation is the solution there. It wouldn’t take much of an arm twisting economically to get us to play ball and before you’d know it we’d all be happily handing over our hard earned Ameros to the friendly Mexican chap behind the counter at Harvey’s.

:bravo: Do you mind if I make that my new signature line?