Former university academic seeking a post-retirement career in ELT

It depends whether they know what they are doing. It’s employer dependent. If they know what they are doing they will very quickly know if you don’t.

Why don’t you go for a position in tertiary education? That’s where you’re from. You could earn a decent supplementary income from that.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely look into it. But I think you mentioned earlier that I’d need one of my postgrads to be education, English literature or something similar - in order to teach at a university. And, at least from my understanding, unis tend to be a bit bureaucratic - and so, going through the selection process might take a bit of time.

Definitely something I’ll look into; but I still haven’t spotted an English medium tertiary institution yet in my preliminary search.

Do you have to work in Taiwan?

I don’t “have to”. I’m not under financial pressure to work. But I do want to earn a bit of pocket money while learning Chinese (which is my main reason for going to Taiwan). And I do quite enjoy teaching / editing / ghost-writing. Moreover - who knows - maybe I’ll learn a bit about the world of ELT and invest in it if I can pull some cash out of my ass.

1 Like

You won’t have open work rights so you’ll have to be sponsored by an employer. It’s really not a great place to be in at your stage in life.

1 Like

If you study Chinese at a school that can support your visa, you get a part time open work permit after studying for a year. I don’t know which is better, though.

Foreign Students Enrolled in Taiwanese College of University Taking Part-time Jobs
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=826B2B8EDB213BC4

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

That’d be so awesome. This gives me more options! Thanks!

Or just get the Gold Visa and you will have completely open work rights and you can do whatever you want.

3 Likes

Indeed.

Though a long thread, may have some useful info if you qualify for the card.

Oh yeah - will definitely look into that as well :grin: