Forumosa Camping Trip Weekend! (July 17/18)

[quote=“kage”]I guess I am dropping out. Havent found anyone to look after any of the dogs, worried about low suspension and the road to the site, and confidence in my navigational skills badly shaken after taking an entire day to find Fulong a couple of weeknds ago.
Have fun, maybe I’ll make it next time.[/quote]
Me not making it either.

[quote=“MJB”]
To get there by car, simply take the number one freeway south to the Miaoli exit, take a right at the offramp, go down about 1.5km until you see signage for the No #72 expressway going east. Take the 72 until the end, where it butts into the Provencial highway 3. Go south to the first intersection after turning right (less than 200yards with a large 7/11) and take a left onto highway 62. Note directly after the left turn the road splits, stay right and up.

You’ll pass through an area of strawberry patches and then end up driving up the right side of the river valley. It’s windy and narrow in places, take your time. Keep an eye out for your next obvious landmark, which is a bridge where the main road crosses the river and you end up on the left side. 20minutes or so. You’ll pass through several small villages on the way, don’t be distracted and follow the natural flow of traffic.

Once you’ve crossed over to the other side of the river, there is a small convenience store on your right hand side, about 150meters after you cross the bridge. If you need ice or last minute items, this is the last stop. Continue up the valley for approx 1.7km, and looking down on your right you’ll see a large, green truss bridge going back across the river. Take the hard right to access and cross the bridge. There will be a large wooden resort on the right (very obvious). Ignore it and take a left after the bridge where there is a unsealed tiny road heading steeply up the mountain.

The road rises steeply for about 2km, and there are a couple of bumpy sections that require care. Eventually you’ll end up in front of a farmhouse, (to which the campground belongs. The road continues past his place for about 100 steep yards, and ends in the campground.[/quote]

Is this it?

Hey there,
I am interested in this as I just arrived in Taipei yesterday from Paris. I can offer good company, stories, and travel adventures, but not much else. This is the 9th country i’ve been to this year and 3rd I’ve lived in.

I’m staying in a box in the center of Taipei. Let me know if there is room on this trip and I’d love to meet up with other english speakers and interesting, fun people.

Cheers!

Neil
+886 9360 32088

There’s a typhoon hovering about this weekend, apparently.

Typhoon is canceled.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“MJB”]
To get there by car, simply take the number one freeway south to the Miaoli exit, take a right at the offramp, go down about 1.5km until you see signage for the No #72 expressway going east. Take the 72 until the end, where it butts into the Provencial highway 3. Go south to the first intersection after turning right (less than 200yards with a large 7/11) and take a left onto highway 62. Note directly after the left turn the road splits, stay right and up.

You’ll pass through an area of strawberry patches and then end up driving up the right side of the river valley. It’s windy and narrow in places, take your time. Keep an eye out for your next obvious landmark, which is a bridge where the main road crosses the river and you end up on the left side. 20minutes or so. You’ll pass through several small villages on the way, don’t be distracted and follow the natural flow of traffic.

Once you’ve crossed over to the other side of the river, there is a small convenience store on your right hand side, about 150meters after you cross the bridge. If you need ice or last minute items, this is the last stop. Continue up the valley for approx 1.7km, and looking down on your right you’ll see a large, green truss bridge going back across the river. Take the hard right to access and cross the bridge. There will be a large wooden resort on the right (very obvious). Ignore it and take a left after the bridge where there is a unsealed tiny road heading steeply up the mountain.

The road rises steeply for about 2km, and there are a couple of bumpy sections that require care. Eventually you’ll end up in front of a farmhouse, (to which the campground belongs. The road continues past his place for about 100 steep yards, and ends in the campground.[/quote]

Is this it?[/quote]

Yep :bravo:

I’ve got to bow out. The girls both are still getting over colds, and V wants them healthy before we jet off to the motherland next week. That and the fact that we drove through one of the wickedest thunderstorms I’ve seen in a while on our way back to Taipei make the decision to bow out a little easier. I’m still sulking, though. :frowning:

Weather down here is good now. We had some rain on Tuesday but no more than a quick shower the last two days.

Well, who is still going if you’re out?

Weather down here is good now. We had some rain on Tuesday but no more than a quick shower the last two days.

Well, who is still going if you’re out?[/quote]

Maoman, sorry to hear you’ve had to cancel. I was looking forward to a bit of fireside banter about the twists and turns of Taiwan life. Still, I’m pretty excited to be getting out of the city. :thumbsup:

Redwagon, the misses and I should arrive sometime around noon.

[quote=“chung”]
Maoman, sorry to hear you’ve had to cancel. I was looking forward to a bit of fireside banter about the twists and turns of Taiwan life. Still, I’m pretty excited to be getting out of the city. :thumbsup:

Redwagon, the misses and I should arrive sometime around noon.[/quote]
Cool. We have a lot of catching up to do!

If hardly anyone is going to show, count me out then.

Very pleasant weekend. Had the whole site (and the river) to ourselves, just Chung and our spouses. :thumbsup: Will definitely visit this spot again.

:thumbsup:

hey there. what’s the campground called? place looks really great. how far is it from taipei? are there cabins available? you’re suppose to rough it when camping, i know, but the wife and kid NEED their AC.

No cabins here. No need for a/c up there. It’s quite cool at night. You just need a tent with good ventilation and to camp in good shade. :whistle:

No cabins here. No need for a/c up there. It’s quite cool at night. You just need a tent with good ventilation and to camp in good shade. :whistle:[/quote]

Strange as it may seem, I’ve noticed that some folks prefer the penetrating embrace of the morning sun. I guess they’re hoping to get an early start on their tan. :wink:

About a two hour drive from Taipei. The resort just down the road from this campsite has cabins as well as segregated hot spring pools which should appeal to a pampered spouse. :wink: Also a few other good hot spring rooms and outdoor complexes in area and a good places to eat. While the wife soaks take the kid up the river to swim in natural pools.

[quote=“chung”]
Strange as it may seem, I’ve noticed that some folks prefer the penetrating embrace of the morning sun. I guess they’re hoping to get an early start on their tan. :wink:[/quote]
Since you ask so politely, the tan is doing great, thanks! :wink: