Forumosans in Hong Kong: 10th Birthday Celebrations

Yesterday (July1, 2007) was Hong Kong’s 10th Birthday/Hand-over Celebrations.

The family and I spent the day at (the South African Restaurant) The Stoep on Lantau, enjoying a great SA lunch, celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary and frolicking in the Lantau surf! Then we made our way over to HK Island for the huge Fireworks Show (location, location, location!). We initially wanted to go to TST’s Avenue of the Stars, but was eventually forced to remain on HK Island due to the road closures and the closure of the Star Ferry to TST. But we had a great time over on HK Island-side.

Forumosans in HK… how did you spend your 1st of July?? :unamused:

Just in case you missed it, watch my video of the fireworks over HK Island and Victoria Harbor here:

youtube.com/watch?v=GwrMSzdHvpI

Happy Birthday Hong Kong!

Dinner at the China Beach Club on Silvermine Bay, Mui Wo. It’s the best food on Lantau, except possibly the Novotel out near the airport. The serves are big and its just a leisurely waddle back to my house.

HG

Good old Hong Kong. If everyone dropped dead tomorrow someone would fly in and try and arrange an “Everyone’s Dropped Dead Party!” Yay!!

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]Good old Hong Kong. If everyone dropped dead tomorrow someone would fly in and try and arrange an “Everyone’s Dropped Dead Party!” Yay!![/quote]Only if there was a buck in it, and only with permission from Beijing. :wink:

Is that at China Bear, HG?

I must’ve been very near your place on Sunday. Spent most of the day on Lower Chueng Sha Beach. Had lunch at The Stoep (my pick for the best food on Lantau, but then I only go there when on the island AND I’m South African!) The kids enjoyed the surf, the overcast conditions with intermittent rain notwithstanding!)
Rushed off to catch the ferry to Central, just in time too because they suspended all ferries for the show. Was stuck on HK Island, but the Star Ferry Terminal proved to be a great place from whence to watch the spectacle!

The Stoep Mediterranean/South African Restaurant:

Pity they don’t sell Castle Lager in HK anymore!

The homemade-bread corner!

Micaela & Ethan enjoying dessert on Sunday, July 1 2007.

Cheers!

Nope, not the China Bear. The China Beach Club is an old Life Saving Club further around the bay. It’s owned by a Canadian Chinese woman and run by a couple of English lasses. Great food! Lots of dogs hanging around, which is a problem for some people. It has the added bonus of being onlly three doors down from my house!

The Stoep’s also good, especially for kids, as can be seen by the happy handsome pair chowing down in the bottom snap!

Drop me a line if you want more details about the China Beach

HG

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”]Just in case you missed it, watch my video of the fireworks over HK Island and Victoria Harbor here:

Happy Birthday Hong Kong!

[/quote]

That’s the great thing about YouTube: somebody in Hong Kong, who also watched the fireworks show, commented (on YouTube) how I didn’t capture the final volley of fireworks. I indeed did not, because my flip##n camera ran out of memory!
It was a great burst, and unlike my YouTube record, it will be etched into my memory.

Hong Kong does know how to party! With or without Beijing.

:bravo: