Forumosa's auto-censor (words automatically edited - why?)

I didn’t say ‘Asian from China’. I said chink. What is it with people putting words in my mouth today?

Shit! It did it again.

There is a chink in my armour, rhymes with ‘think’.

If I am to be publicly accused of nasty things then let it be for what I really said, not for what some politically correct wanker of a programmer thinks I should have said.

In [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/was-that-just-bias-from-individual/12188/1 thread[/url] I used a word that some people don’t like. I was being sarcastic, playing a part which I have been accused of.

If I want to make myself look like a tosser, surely that’s my prerogative? We don’t have a ‘bot’ scanning every post to make sure that so-one does anything silly, do we?

So why is my choice of words being overridden?

There is a ‘chink’ in my armour. There is a chink in the curtains letting in sunlight. It rhymes with ‘think’ but the first letter is ‘c’. and sometimes it is used in a derogatory manner to mean ‘asian from china’.

Fortunately I can still say ‘Fuck You’ to whoever is behind that little idea. Since when do you have the right to tell me what words I am going to use to get my point across? I have enough trouble, apparently, making myself understood in uncensored English. Tampering with my choice of words is absolutely not going to help.

Please fix this serious error. Thank you.

There is a chink in my armour.

Just testing. I bet it gets floundered or disappears.

I tend to agree with you there Stragbasher, If someone does use that word in an offensive way the moderators can edit it out, and I have in the past when it slipped past the censor.

Some of my best chinas are tiddly winks.

Cockney rhyming slang always seems to make the offensive appear less so. Take ginger beer and berk, for example. The latter is heard frequently on the BBC.

Cripes, we’re back to THIS again!??!

This is true

No we don’t, it’s built into the software

Because as you’ve demonstrated, “chink” is used in nearly all instances on this website as a hateful slur. It’s one of about 3 (maybe less) that fit that description

Yes, you can. Fortunately, that person no longer lives in Taiwan :wink: You’re taller, but I bet that person could take you

Since about Day 4 of this website (back in 1999)

I’m sure this will be reviewed again soon

Just noticed these upstairs…

heh heh :wink:

I would never be so upset about this that I would say such a thing to your face. But I can say it online, despite it being a word that is not used in a nice way anywhere ever. It just seems really stupid to edit out one word and allow another that is equally offensive.

Oh, so it’s down to talk of violence already is it? I was going to apologise, but I don’t think I will now. This is not really a big issue, and I don’t want to pick a fight over it, but I’m rather disappointed with … oh, who cares? You obviously don’t, why should I?

No way. I saw the young boy peering out through the chink in the curtains.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That’s hilarious !!!

I’m still at a loss as to why only some slurs are censored. So it’s not OK to say “n1gger” or “ch1nk”, but it’s fine to say “kike”, “wog”, “dago”, “wetback”, “sheepfucker”, “towelhead”, “raghead”… I don’t have a particularly strong objection to the censorship of slurs - I don’t entirely agree, but I can see the point - but if you’re going to do it, either be thorough or don’t bother.

I was just thinking the same thing as Tetsuo, with Japs and Nips thrown in for good measure :slight_smile:

But the bush thing is really silly, IMO. If he loses, please let us have our shrubbery back!

No, I wouldn’t put it that way. No one said any of that was OK. No one said it wasn’t OK, either, btw… but I’m glad you can see the point :slight_smile:

And read this again: [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 928#230928](Forumosa's auto-censor (words automatically edited - why?) - #48 by gus

Alright, “OK” was probably a bad choice of word. But what I’m saying is that if those others aren’t OK to say, why aren’t they censored like the other “not-OK” words? If you’re going to censor racial slurs, why only censor a few? The fact that some are censored while others aren’t could be construed as tacit approval of the non-censored ones. (Not that I think that, but it could be seen that way.)

Fucking Cunt. Not directed at anyone in particular, but just to see if the bot censors it. I mean, there’s no possible way those words could be used to discuss drapery, etc, is there?

If I may misquote (it’s all the rage these days) Imani, there’s no point doing something half-donkeyed. (Shit! Have I been edited again?)

For what it’s worth I don’t mind “kike” but I’d rather you called me a “yid.” - No chip on my shoulder. Once some Zionists called me an anti-semite, then took a long hard look at me and changed it to “self-hating Jew.” I thought that was rather funny.

In the first post on the thread [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/crisis-is-not-equal-to-danger-opportunity/13971/1 is NOT equal to ‘danger’ + ‘opportunity’[/url], there is a URL which contains the letters ‘c-h-i-n-e-s-e’. If you quote this post (as Chris does further down the thread), the URL magically changes to have a capital ‘C’ in chinese - which makes the URL incorrect.

Cranky must have played some trick to sneak this past the pinyinizer, because if I post:
test with small ‘c’
it gets mucked up. It’s even more obvious if you have a Chinese placename in your url:
url with h-s-i-n-c-h-u

Couldn’t the pinyinizer be taught to ignore URLs?
Oh, and while I’m complaining, could you tell it to stop ‘stacking’ translations too? Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu)

OK - I should ammend that post … it seems URLs only get screwed up when in preview mode, or when quoting other messages. The URLs are fine in the first post, but have been mucked up when quoted …

[quote=“david”]In the first post on the thread [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/crisis-is-not-equal-to-danger-opportunity/13971/1 is NOT equal to ‘danger’ + ‘opportunity’[/url], there is a URL which contains the letters ‘c-h-i-n-e-s-e’. If you quote this post (as Chris does further down the thread), the URL magically changes to have a capital ‘C’ in Chinese - which makes the URL incorrect.

Cranky must have played some trick to sneak this past the pinyinizer, because if I post:
test with small ‘c’
it gets mucked up. It’s even more obvious if you have a Chinese placename in your url:
url with h-s-i-n-c-h-u

Couldn’t the pinyinizer be taught to ignore URLs?
Oh, and while I’m complaining, could you tell it to stop ‘stacking’ translations too? Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu)[/quote]

Isn’t chink also a word that denotes dent?

Somebody with a chink in teir arnour just means that they are vulnerable and not invincible.

Maybe some of the more PC minded people should go see that EQ psychobabble guy.

[quote]Isn’t Asian from China also a word that denotes dent?
[/quote]

No. ‘Asian from China’ means a person of Asian descent, who comes form China. I think the word you are looking for is chink.

Brian :wink: