Forumosa's auto-censor (words automatically edited - why?)

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]Isn’t Asian from China also a word that denotes dent?
[/quote]

No. ‘Asian from China’ means a person of Asian descent, who comes form China. I think the word you are looking for is chink.
[/quote]

I think it’s more of a ‘gap’ actually. Now, Brian, I think you should refrain from such posts because ‘chink’ is well-known to be offensive to armoury, suggesting possible weakness, or inferiority of construction. Have some respect.

Hi,

I just posted with a title of “Bookstores in Taichung” in the “Where Can I Find” forum. As you can see, the auto-correct feature changed the spelling of that city name. Not a big deal. However, in the website address that was contained in the post, it did the same thing, thereby invalidating the link.

1. Is there anyway to turn off the auto-correct feature, on a post-by-post basis? If not, please add this to the “desired feature list”.

2. Can you fix that link in my post? Thanks.

Seeker4

That’s a point - there should be a way for the Pinyin Nazi to differentiate between links and ordinary post content.

Death to the pinyin nazi!

You might be able to use linking text…

Here’s a question - why doesn’t the Pinyin Nazi change Kaohsiung and Taipei?

Or Taichung :wink:

Special priviledges.

What’s with the place name expansion/subsitution?!

I posted a message with the place ‘H s i - c h i h’ in the message text, this is was expaned to Hsi-chih. Thats fine but if I write ‘X i J r’ (which is a legitimate spelling) its replaced with Xizhi.

(I had to pad the place names with spaces to stop them being expanded/replaced :s :s :s)

When was this new feature added???

In what system? In MPS2 it would be Shijr, in Yale it would be Syijr. Perhaps the auto-substitution thing is to correct outright wrong romanizations?

When I was editing export ads, I had a daily nightmare with multi-system/wrong/DIY placename spellings. Of all places in Taiwan, Xizhi seems to have the greatest number of possible permutations.

Hsi Chih, Hsi-Chih, Hsichih, Shi Jr, Shi-Jr, Shijr, Xi Zhi, Xi-Zhi, Xizhi, See Jeh, She Jer etc. etc. etc. :fume: When there are multiple spelling systems, people get confused and just make up their own.

[color=blue]**********
漢語拼音最通用
[/color]

The auto-censor puts the Hanyu pinyin in parentheses in cases where there’s a traditional spelling. Otherwise, Hanyu Pinyin overrides the romanization altogether. And Xi Jr is not a legitimate romanization of Xizhi. :wink:

But I see ‘Xi jr’ on the signs on the free way when I come back here from Taipei- so perhaps I just got confused… Legitimate may have been the wrong word - just a spelling that I’ve seen…

From the moment I wrote “Don’t beat about the bush”, I’ve wanted that thing turned off.

Yes, it’s very irritating. For example, we can’t have a conversation about romanization, e.g., how to spell things such as Taiwanese place names, without having half the examples altered so as to render the post meaningless. Turn it off pls.

I think it needs the list trimmed, but not to be eliminated entirely. Stupid shit like “Bush”," “chink,” and “ur” needs to be given the boot, but I still think the Pinyin Nazi serves a purpose by and large.

I couldn’t agree more Loretta. I hate having my words messed with (including the bloody pinyinizer but that’s another matter) especially when it produces results which are so obviously moronic. The overall effect is a slight improvement to the posts made by the semi-illiterate while screwing up those made by posters who can actually string a few sentences together.

Who decided to add this feature to Forumosa?

What word/expression is changed to “Asian from China”?

Chink.

Ahh… I was kind of guessing that. Thanks.

But the thing is, that word has other meanings… oh well… it’s already been mentioned.

Death to the pinyin nazi!! :fume: