Forumosa's auto-censor (words automatically edited - why?)

blair. schroeder. mitterand. adapon. gore. fred smith. clinton. carter. putin. ghandi. buddha. god. jesus. anthony.

It’s inside my head!

I was going to ask how you did that without being censored. But now I can see… :bravo:

[quote=“Loretta”]Blair. schroeder. mitterand. adapon. gore. fred smith. Clinton. carter. putin. ghandi. buddha. god. Jesus. anthony.[/quote]You forgot ‘maoman’ in lower case. As in “I nearly tripped over a maoman today”, nothing to do with the poster at all so doesn’t need a capital letter.

I was going to ask how you did that without being censored. But now I can see… :bravo:[/quote]
So there is a chink in the armor.

Some auto-censor that is. It didn’t even change “a” to “an”. :unamused:

I was going to ask how you did that without being censored. But now I can see… :bravo:[/quote]
So now you guys know the work around. :wink: I’m merging this discussion but you’ll still be able to find Loretta’s poll [url=That bloody autocensor

I like the auto-censor feature. It’s proven to be immensely useful for standardization of place names and addresses. If only Taiwan’s sign-makers had access to this kind of auto-censor, Taiwan would be a much easier place to get around!

Place names aside, we’ve heard the complaints about language-censoring before. There just doesn’t seem to be a lot of opportunity to use some words, whether it’s the name Ur, or racial epithets like chink or nigger. As far as pate goes, we’re willing to bet that the street name of Bade Road comes up a lot more than references to a bald pate, or pate fois-gras. Same goes for bushes - the political kind gets a lot more discussion than the shrubbery kind.

Again, here’s the work around if you wish to talk about a bald pate, or a bird in the bush, or a chink in one’s armor.

a bald pa[u][/u]te, or a bird in the b[i][/i]ush, or a ch[b][/b]ink in one's armor

maoman,

I find the word “cute” extremely obscene.
Any chance we can get it banned?

Regards,
Patricia Bartlett

rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/news/ … 44080.html

I was discussing with a friend at the HH about why some language is changed automatically by the site. A c h i n k in the armour is a commonly used expression but some north americans claim that it is a racist term. The original meaning has never been so. A whole meaning is changed due to one word.

I think it’s nuts. Are you going to ban the use of the word Englishman because it’s a racist word in South Africa?

If I write the word we get chink… which has nothing to do with the word posted in the second paragraph of this sports article

We reason that the commonly used expression would not be used as often as the racist term on a website based in and on Taiwan. So we save effort by automatically changing it AND send the message that you could probably get your message across in a different way.

There are only a very few words like this, please indulge us.

I think you have an unfairly low opinion of the people who use this site. And if anyone wants to use racist slurs - as opposed to discussing their usage, in which case the censor would be unnecessary - then there is no shortage of people ready to ‘correct’ this inappropriate language.

Why not let people just say what they want to say and take the rap for it?

And as for the capitalisation of ‘bush’, I can only say that I frequently find myself yelling at MSWord for ‘correcting’ the way I choose to write things. Are we Microsoft here? Or are we smart enough to figure out for ourselves when to capitalise?*

I’m not so stupid, or contemptuous of the rules of the language, that I need help with stuff like this. I resent the assumption that I am. And I really don’t want my words being changed at all. It doesn’t “save effort”, it cause me to have to add ‘workarounds’ to unnecessary problems.

I didn’t have time to read the 42 references that came up when I searched on the ‘c’ word, but the vast majority apear to be in this forum - people complaining - or in cases where the word is used in a sentence like “someone called me one”. Oh, and the reference to having one in your armour.

I don’t agree with your reasoning.

(*Rantheman excepted.)

With all due respect to the admins, I have to agree 100% with this. If you’re concerned with placenames, why not just limit the autocensor list to those? I think the workaround is horrificably awflish too. :s

I’ve just remembered that I had my say on this matter some time ago and promised Gus I wouldn’t keep bugging him about it.

Please remind me of this if you see me complaining here again. :blush:

ARGH WTF? Apparently we’re not allowed to start sentences with “the” either. I fail to see any logical reason behind automatically decapitalizing “the”. What is up with that?

The point is, some of the changes are stupid. The more you listen to Tetsuo the more likely your brain is likely to implode.

OK WTH? I read and re-read an IP post of mine in edit mode and it was always capitalized in edit and then not in the actual post. I think my brain is about to implode.

EDIT: OK, let’s try this.

The current sentence will test something. The exact test subject has yet to be determined. “The point of this,” he said, “is that there is no point.” The test was a potential success.

EDIT 2: WTFBBQ? Here is the post concerned. When I edit it, the “the” in the second to last sentence is fine, but when I save it, it goes to lowercase. Then when I quote it, it stays lowercase. This is weird.

[quote]We reason that the commonly used expression would not be used as often as the racist term on a website based in and on Taiwan. So we save effort by automatically changing it AND send the message that you could probably get your message across in a different way.

There are only a very few words like this, please indulge us.[/quote]

“Save me from the people who would save me from myself. They’ve got muscles for brains!”

Gang of Four - Entertainment.

OK, we’ve got a censor that changes stupid shit like “bush->Bush” and yet posts like this manage to survive in the wild?

[color=blue]I’ll start off by saying I [/color][color=red]love [/color][color=blue]this site. It has helped me greatly in the past few months. It helped me have a baby, move to a new apartment and furnish it. [/color]

This is just a minor gripe.

I know some people have strong views on what is the “correct” romanisation for Chinese. I’m not one of those people: I mix ‘n’ match, and horror of horrors, I can even be inconsistent. And sometimes I like to experiment with new romanisations, featuring consonant clusters and other jocular ways to represent Mandarin pronunciation. I’ve never had a problem with people misunderstanding my romanisations (unless I meant them to). But my recent post seems have been vetted by the Romanisation Police (hyphens have been added to send the pigs off on the wrong scent this time):

Before vetting by the Romanisation Police:
Bobwendaye is near the corner of K-e-e-l-u-n-g Road and Heping East Road. It’s a 5-minute walk from L-i-u-c-h-a-n-g-l-i MRT stn (Brown line)

After:
Bobwendaye is near the corner of Keelung Road and Heping East Road. It’s a 5-minute walk from Liuzhangli MRT stn (Brown line)

It’s clever, but is it necessary or helpful?

[quote=“highwave”][color=blue]I’ll start off by saying I [/color][color=red]love [/color][color=blue]this site. It has helped me greatly in the past few months. It helped me have a baby, move to a new apartment and furnish it. [/color]

This is just a minor gripe.

I know some people have strong views on what is the “correct” romanisation for Chinese. I’m not one of those people: I mix ‘n’ match, and horror of horrors, I can even be inconsistent. And sometimes I like to experiment with new romanisations, featuring consonant clusters and other jocular ways to represent Mandarin pronunciation. I’ve never had a problem with people misunderstanding my romanisations (unless I meant them to). But my recent post seems have been vetted by the Romanisation Police (hyphens have been added to send the pigs off on the wrong scent this time):

Before vetting by the Romanisation Police:
Bobwendaye is near the corner of K-e-e-l-u-n-g Road and Heping East Road. It’s a 5-minute walk from L-i-u-c-h-a-n-g-l-i MRT stn (Brown line)

After:
Bobwendaye is near the corner of Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) Road and Heping East Road. It’s a 5-minute walk from Liuzhangli MRT stn (Brown line)

It’s clever, but is it necessary or helpful?[/quote]

There is a term for this…it is called a “pissing contest” which is why I make it a habit not to speak Mandarin in front of other foreigners.

There used be some American asshole working at the AIT in Kaohsiung and when he heard that I studied in Beijing and worked as a translator for a computer company he made it his pet project to speak Mandarin to me every time I went in there. It’s like, “Dude, it ain’t a toy. It’s a tool. Quit playing with it.” Real pain in the ass and offering up shit I didn’t want to deal with.

Just avoid talking to foreigners about Mandarin…life goes so much easier that way.