Four drown at Baishawan Beach

A Taipei resident named Andrew Schwimmer wrote a letter to the Taipei Times the other day, about a recent drowning there, four people, co-workers, three men, one woman, on a weekend outing. What happened? How did they drown? Was it a big wave that carried them off? Or tricky currents?

taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003255263

“I’m writing in response to the appalling disaster at Baishawan Beach this past weekend – the drowning of four young people on Sunday.
It was only the previous weekend that I was enjoying my first visit to this lovely stretch of sand, just a short distance from Taipei. As I walked along the shore on that beautiful sunny afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised to see a beach full of people enjoying the lovely day. I barely took notice of the lone empty lifeguard chair. It was then that friends told me that only two weeks before, a young man drowned on that beach. Apparently, this stretch of water is known for its occasional dangerous tides and currents. And sadly, its frequent drownings…”

[Notice how the letter writer’s name rhymes with swimmer.]

REST OF LETTER AT LINK

Hearsay.
But lifeguards are a good idea.

swimmer > English = Schwimmer > German :wink:

swimmer > English = Schwimmer > German :wink:[/quote]

I wonder if his last name made him more apt to pay attention and write that good letter?

Right. That would be Taiwanese beach-goers. “Oi! dipshits! Stay out of the damn water if you don’t know how to fucking well swim!”

You know what constitutes “lifeguarding” here, don’t you? It involves roping off a tiny section of sea – about the size of a swimming pool – and prohibiting anyone from going into the water at any other spot. Kind of totally kills the entire point of going to the beach, really. :unamused:

Well, Baishawan has tricky currents. A few years ago there was another foreigner pulled out to open sea after falling of his Hobycat, they found him 24 hours later still alive and floating.

Another couple of years back, another hobycat mishap got them sucked out the bay and they had to be returned by motorboat from around the corner of the bay.

You’re out of the bay before you notice. swimmer or not. Anyway, some people know how to stay afloat without swimming, others just go down.

The rate of drownings here is incredible. I’m surprised that drowning doesn’t make it into the top ten causes of death in Taiwan, in a category by itself (rather than lumped together with other “accidents”).

Over the years, there have been dozens of drownings in the places where I regularly go swimming. I can hardly think of any spot along my favourite streams where there hasn’t been at least one drowning in the last decade or so. I’ve given up being superstitious and worrying about being pulled under by the spirit of one of the deceased, even in the ghost month: if one worried about that, one would never be able to go swimming anywhere in Taiwan.

Popular streams, where lots of people go to barbecue and mess around in the water in the summer, usually claim a clutch of victims year after year, no matter how many voluntary lifeguards are on duty there. For example, there’s one in Sansia (the name of which has slipped my memory) which features in countless reports of drownings in the Chinese press, though such tragedies are seldom if ever deemed newsworthy enough to get a mention in the English newspapers. If you multiply the toll there by the number of such places around Taiwan, the total must be quite staggering – though I’ve never seen any official statistics on the number of drownings nationwide.

A few years ago, I read a report about the number of people who had drowned in Bitan over the preceding decade, but the figure was so extraordinarily high – up in the hundreds – that I felt sure it must have been erroneous. Though many of the drownings there, of course, were people who committed suicide by jumping off the bridge, so the huge number cited could just possibly be true.

And it’s not only the poor swimming ability, stupidity or suicidal intent of the victims that results in their drowning. There was a notorious case some time back of a party of school kids who were swept away and drowned when some bright spark opened a dam upstream without proper warning. Such negligence is by no means uncommon, and I experienced it myself one time at Wulai: I was swimming in the Tonghou Stream when I noticed that the water was rising very quickly, so I swam to the bank and got out as fast as I could. I was the only one in the water there at the time (it wasn’t a weekend or in the summer holidays), but there was also a young couple who had crossed the river and were trapped on the other side. With darkness not far away, I told them to stay put, hurried off to the nearest police substation to report their plight, and returned with the policeman to help them get across with a rope (the guy was scared shitless and shaking like a leaf, which prompted the policeman to rib him mercilously). Again, that could so easily have ended up as yet another tragic loss of life.

Surely it’s not as bad as this anywhere else in the world, is it?

Are you sure there were not signs nearby warning against swimming becaue the dam upstream may release water at any time without warning? I have seen many signs like that in the Wulai area, including areas that are popularly used for barbecuing and swimming.

How on earth do you issue a warning all the way downstream that the dam is about to release water? Float little notes down a few minutes before?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]
There was a notorious case some time back of a party of school kids who were swept away and drowned when some bright spark opened a dam upstream without proper warning. Such negligence is by no means uncommon, and I experienced it myself one time at Wulai: I was swimming in the Tonghou Stream when I noticed that the water was rising very quickly, so I swam to the bank and got out as fast as I could. I was the only one in the water there at the time (it wasn’t a weekend or in the summer holidays), but there was also a young couple who had crossed the river and were trapped on the other side. With darkness not far away, I told them to stay put, hurried off to the nearest police substation to report their plight, and returned with the policeman to help them get across with a rope (the guy was scared shitless and shaking like a leaf, which prompted the policeman to rib him mercilously). Again, that could so easily have ended up as yet another tragic loss of life.
[/quote]

Are you sure there were not signs nearby warning against swimming becaue the dam upstream may release water at any time without warning? I have seen many signs like that in the Wulai area, including areas that are popularly used for barbecuing and swimming.

How on earth do you issue a warning all the way downstream that the dam is about to release water? Float little notes down a few minutes before?[/quote]

There are always signs, often badly weathered, defaced or hidden by foliage, at points of access all along rivers downstream from dams (which includes a very high proportion of all Taiwan’s rivers and creeks) warning people of the danger, and usually forbidding people from going in the water, but those are just there to protect the authorities from liability in case an accident occurs. No effort is ever made to keep away the huge crowds of people who flock to such places on holidays when the weather is hot. There are also loudspeaker systems along many (maybe even most) of the streams, which issue warnings of imminent releases of water. I have heard such warnings countless times, though none has ever been followed by an actual release of water – so I’ve become accustomed to staying in the water in spite of them, but just keeping a wary eye open in case a surge of water appears. However, on the occasion that I described above, there was definitely no loudspeaker warning (I’d already been there a long time when it happened).

It’s the culture here to go into the sea if you can’t swim, so there’s no need to say anything about it. Don’t you guys read the Typo Times?

On my trips to a beach here I’ve always been abused by locals saying “Don’t swim - local people will follow you in and drown”.

I don’t understand the logic. I’m not a good look in swimmers and I potter about at around neck depth - very dull indeed. Why are scores of blue truck drivers and flower sellers suddenly going to leave their binlang and hurtle lemming like into the briney and die??? When I go into FNAC I’m not followed. When I obey road rules and don’t behave like a moron on the road no one follows me. When I place a carton of milk in my supermarket trolley I’m not copied.

This drowning thing is quite bizarre. Are they drunk? I know most locals can’t swim or have little experience in the water but why do they die in such numbers? In Japan it seemed to be alcohol as the major factor - people being too plastered to know they were going under, or having heart attacks from too much beer and exertion.

When the local population density reaches saturation point will millions stampede into the Pacific to take off the pressure? :loco:

:idunno: hope springs eternal… I for one can’t wait to see if they do…

In the mountain valley behind Shimen they have a warning system similar to an air raid siren go off 30 minutes and again directly before they release the water…

Thought it was an island-wide thing.

All these drawings make me quiet nervous.
I was DREAMING of swimming with my wife & baby-son when I assigned my relocation. Clear ocean (at least at the East side) beautiful views…

Now, it seems more obvious to place a small 5Ocm high pool in the garden.
or ARE there places near Taipei which do not have these tricky tides?

In the mountain valley behind Shimen they have a warning system similar to an air raid siren go off 30 minutes and again directly before they release the water…

Thought it was an island-wide thing.[/quote]

Very interesting. Didn’t know that. Thanks for the tips from both you and Omni.