Free VPN app for Android that works?

Can anyone recommend an Android app that will 3nable me to view Facebok while 8n China? On3 that’s free and actually works?

Thankd

Posted via Tapatalk on tiny smartphone keyboard. Expect typos.

[quote=“Chris”]Can anyone recommend an Android app that will 3nable me to view Facebok while 8n China? On3 that’s free and actually works?

Thankd

Posted via Tapatalk on tiny smartphone keyboard. Expect typos.[/quote]

I take it Orbot didn’t do the trick?

Seems you’re trapped between two Big Brothers.

Didnt know about Orbot. But its refusing to download… Oh China, China…

In the meantime, the posting photos to fb via instagram is working…

[quote=“Chris”]Can anyone recommend an Android app that will 3nable me to view Facebok while 8n China? On3 that’s free and actually works?

Thankd

Posted via Tapatalk on tiny smartphone keyboard. Expect typos.[/quote]

My advice wouldbe to get a paid VPN service plan from a private provider, usually costs 5 to 7 USD/month. At least you’ll be sure it works and that it’s not blocked in China.
I can recommend this one: switchvpn.net/
You should contact them before leaving to ensure the server you want to use is available in China though (some got blacklisted in the past, so it’s better to have 2 different setups ready).

China often blocks ip addresses of the free VPN services. The reason is, since they’re free, they’re widely used, and since they’re widely used, they’re the first to get blocked.

Also, keep in mind PPTP is sometimes blocked in China, You would then want to use OpenVPN on port 443, and it requires you root you android phone to do so. Better check it works from Taiwan first :slight_smile:

maybe next time. I’m headed into the wilds of eastern tibet where there may not be knternet acccess at all. Next week ill be in hobg kong

First time hearing about Orbot, will try it out

The most powerful VPN account for bypassing Chinese Great firewall is OpenVPN over SSH to mask you VPN connection and not be detected. Check this link vpnanswers.com/secure-androi … hout-root/ and get the best SSH tunneling on your android.

Free ones are useless ib Xhina.

Astrill, I use, but not Android.

Possibly of interest:

technologyreview.com/view/42 … y-network/

[quote]
Perhaps the most promising avenue is a tool currently being developed called Obfsproxy. This camouflages Tor traffic, making it look like something else, such as Skype traffic, for example.

China is clearly worried about this approach. The Great Firewall of China currently blocks all published relays designed to use Obfsproxy. However, Winter and Lindskog set up a private Obfsproxy relay in Sweden and successfully connected to it from inside China. “We initiated several connections to it over several hours and could always successfully establish a Tor circuit,” they say.

That seems to prove that the deep packet inspection system cannot spot private Obfsproxy relays and so looks like a promising route forward. [/quote]

You can set up your own VPN server using a home PC providing you have a fixed IP address and leave the PC on all the time

It’s fast, free, and dead easy to set up. Windows has this feature built-in, so you don’t need to install anything

There’s no widespread real-time deep packet inspection in China. So long as you are not a “person of interest,” your VPN data stream is going to go unnoticed

I don’t advise you with free service they didn’t work well and have many problems. but I can recommend a reasonable price VPN service with powerful and stable tools for bypassing all surveillance technologies of China government. Check this link vpnfaqs.com/2015/05/route-al … re-tunnel/ you can find an easy VPN application to get through blocking within secured tunnel.

In countries like China, Iran and Syria - usage of VPN and top most websites (google, facebook, twitter and etc.) are BANNED. Free VPN is not helpful in China because they start blocking VPN sites as well so after that only few VPNs working good in China. If you can afford $5 per month just buy a Paid VPN for China and get secure access with complete anonymity.

What are good free or paid VPN for Android for use in Taiwan?

Windscribe is good. 10-15GB for free every month, but if you want more you can pay for it too.

I used it last time I was in China without any problems. I typically use it to redeem digital movie codes from movies bought from the US.

My experience is with the iPhone but I know they have an android app too.

1 Like

I’ve used Tunnel Bear a couple of times.
Nice and easy to use.

I’m using Tunnelbear VPN extension on Chrome on Mac, works great. First couple Gb per month are free.

Just installed on phone. 500Mb free this month.

And if you need more, just tweet their link and you’ll get another 500mb

I may need to try Opera browser.

Opera is building a free VPN directly into its Android browser

Most excellent VPNs have deals for like U$3 per month if you sign for a few years (2-3 maybe).
You cannot afford NT$90 per month on an honest, better quality VPN?