Freedom of Speech - What it Means - Also Public Insults/Defamation/Slander/Libel

Not really. While I would disagree with the latter, it is not impinging on anybody’s rights. This goes back to what I said initially about people having a right to free speech, but neither a right to a platform nor a right to be listened to. A university is a private institution, and like it or not they have the right to allow and restrict whatever speech they like, for whatever reasons they like. Same with websites, apps, newspapers, TV stations, etc.

I honestly disagree about the whole ‘marketplace of ideas’ idea as an antidote to misinformation. A cursory glance at the world we see today shows that’s simply not the case. People have the ability to project their speech far wider than ever before, yet misinformation is worse than ever. It’s an idealistic view, but not one that holds much water (indeed it’s the kind of thing we used to discuss in philosophy class but not one that people took very seriously).

If you’re ideas haven’t been doing well out there it’s not because there’s something wrong with the free marketplace of ideas.

4chan for example is a cesspit because there’s absolutely no restriction at all.

That doesn’t interest you? Given this animal species has conquered the globe, soon to be interplanetary and self proclaimed the best of the best. And still lacking pots?

Definition of fascinating.

Do you know what a pot licker is?

They don’t much go to space and populate other celestial bodies. Think Russian serfs in the 1700s.

Yes, did you note my point on our species? The fact we have such range and variability is absolutely fascinating! Like, extremely so!

Again, meh. There’s a lot of waste and fraud among humanity. But I’m glad you’re so entertained by them!

Not sure how entertained by them I am. But we are a fascinating species, no doubt. As are all other species. Be it mold, moss, cockroaches or monkeys. All are fascinating. Our species is only more interesting because we can actually communicate with most others of our species, so we have a better understanding. One thing I do find interesting is how genius and how absolutely moronic we are, as a species. And we claim intelligence species wide. Anthropologically, this is truly fascinating. Also just generally in ecology, biology, chemistry and so on. The more one delves, the more one is at a loss to explain. That’s not boring I would think.

Don’t agree with a lot of that, but I do see what you’re saying.

My problem with what you’ve written is that you award the tremendous achievements of very few humans to all of them. Yea, we can figure out how to fly to mars, but how much of the process does one individual know about it?

Or go smaller, many people can drive a car. Not many can fix a car engine. Far fewer can design a new car.

We can write and read enough to keep the house of cards civilization standing. How many of us can truly comprehend how and why we got to where we are, much less direct and lead us into a future that is better, like really better all around?

Now an ant hill? A bee hive? That’s some fascinating shit going on!

I actually don’t, I think very much like you. Because i am human and live an existence of being used to iur ways. But stepping back and being unbias, its a fascinating situation we have going on. I notice many people hold our own species in high regard, which is also fascinating. I think that if I were another species looking at humans like humans look at ants, I would be absolutely fascinated by our extreme variance in ability, intelligence etc. And if I were more intelligent than modern day humans are, and could actually understand and communicate with those species, I would probably be mind blown on the regular.

If one ant managed to build a rocket to blow up another ant hill whilst 10% of its colony were drooling over ant porm or getting mucked up on fermented mango…same thing, fascinating :slight_smile: I say this with the fact we look at other species as if they are basically homogenous and totally don’t understand much about them. Much like anything looking at us must feel. In that sense, fantastic!

How’s that working out for you? It’s a miserable bane for me at times.

There’s nothing wrong with knowing lots of facts. And it is fun. But a tape recorder or a phone can do that With 100% retention.

It’s why I like philosophy. There have been just a few people in all of humanity who really developed a unique understanding of humanity and being an individual human being, as well as what reality to us is and what reality really is.

It’s a crazy deep pool and most people wanna watch Netflix or pretend they are a modern day prognosticator because they have a laptop and access to a cheap AI program.or pron. pron is big.

I feel that. I can say I feel that way at times too, pesimistic. This is why i spend lots of time getting into biology. When I go at it from that angle, we are just another species, that negative aspect disappears and a child like passionate curiosity ensues. It enables me to look at human problems I encounter with far more grace than I would otherwise be capable of. It may not work for everyone, but it sure does for me. And it fills me with much needed optimism. Without that, I would have given up many years ago! I can still be a total fucking asshole though, so it’s a work in progress :slight_smile:

I’m no pessimist.

If you had proof of say sexual harassment , child molestation, child abusethen that is of public concern.
Beraring hmm I’m not sure. I think you could publish that safely without identifying the name or face of person. Ive known plenty of foreigners lodging complaints at the CLA, and not getting fired or black listed and often getting compensated. Don’t be intimidated. In the 1980s I’d tell you different but not now. You can name companies , better than naming people, and if you have proof make it public. As it’s in the public interest.

That’s great. No matter the reason, I feel sorry for your miserable bane on this species!

Lemons to lemonade, or some such shit. Making it serious and logical helps make it real.

Freedom of speech means that you can say whatever you want.
But freedom of speech does not free you of the consequences to what was said.

1 Like

Haha… then China has freedom of speech too. You can say it, but then you will have to suffer the consequences.

Makes reality real?

Making something serious or conform to logic is simply ordering data taken in from the senses. It doesn’t need to be made real. It is real. If it weren’t why would our sensory needs have encouraged our bodies to evolve in certain and specific ways?

Freedom of speech seems in modern society to be the lowest of the low hanging fruits :watermelon:

Hilarious.

Not a word about learning or education or wisdom in there. That’s a recipe for self inflicted slave language. You can keep that kind of freedom. I’ll keep the freedom to walk away silently over any of that nonsense.

I met some folks in Beigan recently who are from China and some who travel to China often. They absolutely do not have freedom of speech. They don’t mull over what they want to say about the government. They have been conditioned to not say anything and possibly to not even think about it, even though it’s right there in their faces.

Reminds me of the islanders who didn’t run from Columbus’s ships when they pulled up because they didn’t think they were real. :laughing: they simply ignored them, didn’t give them a second glance really, until the smaller rowboats paddled in—

1 Like

If you’re ideas haven’t been doing well out there it’s not because there’s something wrong with the free marketplace of ideas.

Look at Xitter since they took away their content moderation policies and fired the time responsible for enforcing them. Much more ‘free speech’ on there now. Are you truly suggesting that there is also less misinformation because we’re more free to see whatever people feel like spewing onto the platform, free from ‘censorship’? That’s simply delusional. I’m starting to think you’re just trolling now.