Freelance income and APRC application

Hello folks,

I will be eligible to apply for my APRC in late 2024, I am currently teaching English at a public elementary school and would easily meet the requirements for the APRC if I stayed in this position until then.

I have, however, developed a blossoming online translation side gig which I’d like to pursue and the full time job is feeling more and more distracting from the translation. Obviously freelance translation won’t get me an ARC to fill the last year before the APRC, but I was wondering, if I worked part time at a Buxiban, just doing the minimum hours (I presume I’d need their consent to translate legally) would I be able to get my translation income legally accounted for and use it towards my APRC application?

Thanks folks.

What ARC are you currently on? You can’t really do freelance (or any work other than where you have a work permit) unless you have a marriage-to-Taiwanese-ARC, APRC, Gold Card, or working holiday-ARC.

1 Like

Employment ARC. Yeah there’s a clause in my contract that says I can only work at my public school unless I get express permission to do otherwise. I asked my school and they’re cool with me doing other but quietly asked me not to pursue the official paper work as they said it was more trouble than it was worth.

So long story short I was wondering if this was the same in the private sector as the I know that the public sector here still has these extreme restrictions…

It doesn’t matter what industry you are in or what the contract says, if you don’t have an open work permit, you can’t do freelance legally. Best bet would be to wait until you have your APRC.

1 Like

So I know a few folks who work in Buxibans and have side gigs at other buxibans or kindergartens… Does that mean that these jobs are then not being declared / strictly not legal?

I also know of a person who has a Buxiban who is willing to file all the paper work to say they meet the requirements for the APRC while only working a low number of hours a week… I don’t suppose you have any thoughts or opions on such a situation?

It’s possible to get multiple work permits for different workplaces. So it’s possible they are operating legally. You can’t really get a work permit for a freelance gig though.

The only way to freelance legally (without an open work permit or open work rights) is to open a limited company and write receipts.

@iago88, you can open one of these fairly easily and get a work permit for that. And you can claim your income for your APRC. Do you have $500000 equivalent TWD overseas?

Would you like a contact for a CPA to help you open one? It’s pretty much mandatory.

1 Like

That’s pretty good news actually. Please do send details for a CPA. I can easily meet those requirements.

1 Like

Hi. Here is the CPA I recommend and use. He speaks English. Rates are reasonable.

1 Like

Thank you

Here is the real kicker. Technically since you have only one year ish to the APRC, you won’t have to fufill the $3 million gross revenue requirement on the third year.

I just want to double check that the figure you’re quoting here is 500,000TWD and not 5,000,000TWD equivalent overseas.

All of my prices are in Taiwanese dollars.

Sorry I meant is it deffo 500K NTD and not 5 million NTD. I emailed Mengta Wu, thanks for the recommendation, waiting on a reply now.

$500 000 in TWD or equivalent foreign currency.

It must be imported. Mengta will guide you.

Thanks

1 Like

Just to verify, you only need to do this if you don’t have open work rights correct? If you’re on a marriage arc you should be fine to work freelance?

Yes. You have the right to work anywhere where foreigners or dual citizens are not forbidden.

2 Likes