French classes or tutors in buxiban?

[quote=“rahimiiii”]Is there any good place for someone who dont know any french other than BonJour to learn more French? I figure if I got to learn even a decent amount of French it will make it easier for me to go to Canada…

Im in Taipei by the way[/quote]

Quebecois is not really french. I speak fluently french and watching those French Canadian TV programs really gives me the creeps :laughing: Think about it as English with a super strong Scottish accent.
I’d say save your money and time.

[quote=“engerim”]Quebecois is not really french. I speak fluently french and watching those French Canadian TV programs really gives me the creeps :laughing: Think about it as English with a super strong Scottish accent.
I’d say save your money and time.[/quote]
OUCH! :laughing:

Hide this post from sandman!

To the OP, if you do learn French in Taiwan, see if you can learn from a Quebecois if you have a choice. There is a difference in French French and Canadian French.

That’s so true…

In Quebec they ask, “Ou est la WC?”

In France they ask, “Ou est la toilet?”

[quote=“914”]

To the OP, if you do learn French in Taiwan, see if you can learn from a Quebecois if you have a choice. There is a difference in French French and Canadian French.[/quote]

Oh, isn’t that like telling someone to learn English from an Aussie or a Septic?

I’m just saying…best learn the language the way it’s spoken locally so he won’t get picked on by the mean Quebecois. Otherwise it’s like going to a trailer park in the midwest speaking the Queen’s Engrish. He’ll get beat up pho sho.

Errr…that’s what you meant too, non? Oui? Peut etre? :s

[quote=“914”]I’m just saying…best learn the language the way it’s spoken locally so he won’t get picked on by the mean Quebecois. Otherwise it’s like going to a trailer park in the midwest speaking the Queen’s Engrish. He’ll get beat up pho sho.

Errr…that’s what you meant too, non? Oui? Peut etre? :s[/quote]

Look… the only reason I needed to learn French is so I can earn more points for thier skilled worker criteria. I am not moving anywhere near Quebec, in fact I plan to settle to Vancouver or something… I figure a little French can’t hurt and I don’t count on pre arranged employment. Its a few points but its a difference between a pass and a fail…

Like you, I am studying French for my eventual return to eastern Canada, where I suppose French is a bit more relevant than Vancouver. But it’s a marketable skill everywhere is Canada, so I say go for it. You can take classes at LTTC on NTU campus. They have a lot of lower level classes that might meet your needs. I also have an excellent tutor (born and bred in France). If your interested, PM me.

May I repeat my offer of free pronunciation classes in various languages, including French. My one and only talent is having near-native pronunciation in several languages that are not my mother tongue. You buy the coffee (or beer.)

engerim wrote:

[quote]Quebecois is not really french. I speak fluently french and watching those French Canadian TV programs really gives me the creeps Laughing out loud… Think about it as English with a super strong Scottish accent.

Do Australians speak English? Do Kiwis speak English, do Americans speak English? How about those German in East Germany, do they actually speak German???

I find your comment a bit insulting since I am from Quebec. Though I was born in Germany, and have lived in France. I speak French, English and German fluently, German is my mother tongue.

Quebec is the only French speaking unilingual state in the Americas. Yes, people will look at you and know you are a foreigner is you speak with a French accent, but that is probably the worst that you will get. Most people in Quebec are unlingual French and will have trouble communicating with you in English.

At least in Quebec, we do not use all these English expressions like most French speaking people do (“le week end” anyone? We use “fin de semaine”). The Quebec government takes protecting our language quite seriously. There are quotas on everything, from radio shows to tv shows.

The Quebec accent is reminiscent of a French accent from Provence. They are quite similar, but international French is understood by everyone.

Search myu.com.tw to find a French tutor in your region. I tutor French as well, but I am in Hsinchu.

Sorry about that, but prejudicing a whole language and culture gets to me especially if I consider it being my own, which is strange since both my parents are of Indian descent and speak fluent German as well, without any accents.

Haw! See yoo ya fuckin’ bumshuffler? Awa an’ bile yeir HEID ya stoopit bawheid. Gerragh! Ah’ll hae you pal. NAE fuckin’ bothir. :fume:

Haw! See yoo ya fuckin’ bumshuffler? Awa an’ bile yeir HEID ya stoopit bawheid. Gerragh! Ah’ll hae you pal. NAE fuckin’ bothir. :fume:[/quote]

that sounded like the bus driver i had to bear on trips between bo’ness and linlithgow

:laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“range”]engerim wrote:

[quote]Quebecois is not really french. I speak fluently french and watching those French Canadian TV programs really gives me the creeps Laughing out loud… Think about it as English with a super strong Scottish accent.

Do Australians speak English? Do Kiwis speak English, do Americans speak English? How about those German in East Germany, do they actually speak German???

I find your comment a bit insulting since I am from Quebec. Though I was born in Germany, and have lived in France. I speak French, English and German fluently, German is my mother tongue.

[/quote]

Well, dialects are dialects. Since you lived in France you must be aware that there are accents.

I never doubted that. Actually I wanted to point out what you just said there about the French accent.
They will look strange at you and maybe not understand you if you use some Franco-French words.
Just like me watching TV in Canada… it becomes a bit funny and feels like being on another planet.

Same in France. There is the Academie Francaise, still powerful. The institution is probably just a copy or branch of it. Maybe you don’t use “le week end” but there are uhhh, don’t get me started on those quebec leanwords… :slight_smile:

Like what? Iinternational english? I thought thats called bad english. Just some examples which might make you fall on your head in Quebec with Franco-French (the International French).

• They use you (tu) way more often in Quebec, you notice this especially if you visit shops, this is considered inpolite in France.
  • If you speak too much International French in Quebec they might call you a “parler en cul de poule” (considering you too strict cause of your accent)
  • Fais-toi-z-en pas is used often instead of (ne) t’en fais pas. Which is enough to make you in need for a Canadian French class if your mother tongue is not French.

I didn’t mean to insult anyone. It was a simple personal observation and advice, that, if you want to learn French for Canada, Franco-French is not the one you should learn. I actually protect your Quebec culture, you see? :slight_smile:

Since you grew up in Germany you are also aware that Austrians or people in Switzerland got their own (strong) dialects. People who got Germano-german accents there are and will always be outsiders, with few exceptions. Most popular example is probably Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was trying acting in Germany but laughed at for his accent, and even in Austria outside Graz it was hard with his accent. Nevertheless the story got a Happy End that the accent became his trademark, and now he’s gouverneur. So maybe learning Franco-French for Canada isn’t too bad after all. Sorry again if my remark was way too cynic. I’ll go and eat some French sausages now that I got from Paris this afternoon (to Hsinchu, not too far from you) and shut up :slight_smile:

The OP wants to learn French to get more points for immigration. Therefore standard French with as neutral an accent as possible is what he needs - the tests don’t test how well you know joual, for God’s sake.
The OP is also going to Vancouver, where French is completely useless and is not spoken - so again, he/she should study standard French, since he/she won’t actually need to speak it in Canada.
As for French being a useful skill in Canada, even in the non-French-speaking areas - well, i dunno. I’m bilingual, and it’s never done me any good whatsoever.

Are there any language schools in Taipei that offer classes in advance French? (not including the university; I’m not a student).

If not, I’m looking for someone to help me practice/retain my French! Anyone out there speak French or even tutor French? (Although I can’t afford a very expensive tutor). I am planning on going to France in about one year, and I need to make sure that I don’t forget it. I already fear that I am forgetting much of the language! (especially the grammar… :neutral: ) And it is difficult to retain a language simply through reading books and watching movies. I used to go to coffee houses with my friends from French class, and we would just sit around and talk in French. Even that really helped me!

I am living in the Taipei area and I have an intermediate to semi-advanced understanding of French (three years at the university level). Please let me know if you are serious about this.

Merci beaucoup, votre aide est très appréciée!

See my answer to the person looking for English-Indonesian translation. Tons of various nationality Frenchyphones here at MTC. Leave a note or respond to somebody’s note.

Je parle Francais comme ci comme ca et je serais tres heureux de parler Francais avec vous, si vous voulez.

Bonjour,

Je suis Français et je propose des cours particuliers sur Taipei. Mes prix sont tres tres raisonnables !
Si tu es toujours a la recherche d’un professeur de Français, tu peux me contacter à l’adresse ci-dessous.

andretaipei@hotmail.com

A search reveals that there are existing threads on the topic (I’ve merged yours with them for your convenience), and that there are also people out there looking for jobs teaching French, e.g.:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=77519
Have a look, and perhaps you can hook up with them.
See also viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72562 for possible contacts.

I’m french (native) and I just arrived in Taïwan in order to study chinese (as a beginner). I’d be happy to give french lessons to those interested by learning our beautiful language! :slight_smile:
I have a one year experience as a french assistant at the Duke of York’s military high school in Dover (UK). For more informations, send me a mail at : larramendyjb@yahoo.fr
See you soon,
Jean-Baptiste

I need some advice from French Teachers. The kid needs to present results from any of the following below tests, prior of her application approval for studying in France.

I was told there is no more option to conduct these exams till AFTER the summer ?? must be kidding no?

Test to conduct (one is enough) TCF, TEF, DELF-DALF

Any place / private institution whom could still organize this before June?
Thanks for any info :notworthy: