Frenched fries ... time to put things right

[quote=“mungacious”][quote=“Ironman”]
They ended up better than the soggy ones I got at McDondalds yesterday. If anybody knows a good frozen fry to try then I’d like to know about it. Note that I’d almost never have fries in Australia but crave them here for some reason.[/quote]

don’t eat’em frozen…get fresh potato and make your own…its simple and doesn’t have to be messy

clicky-clicky![/quote]
A NT$3,000 oven is what you need. Parboil your spuds for 5 mins or so, drain and cut into wedges. Arrange them in a roasting tin, scatter with paprika and sea salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake them for an hour.
Luvverly jubblies.

Hey, the man recipes I clicked on should be in the food forum. Looks good!

I’m happy enough with the result when we dry fried. They had plenty of oil from when they were prepared and frozen at the chip factory.

We just took about 7 minutes to get from frozen to edible. I’m only interested in fast if I’m involved in the cooking thing. Sandman has got the right idea though. Sounds good.

Who says my fries are soggy? My fries are crispy … and never try to make fries from local potatoes … they end up crispy at first but soon after get so soggy … I gave up on them … :s

Sandman, you have fries and baked potatoes … it’s a different thing :wink:

1. Hand cut potatoes (or if lazy use mandolin)
  2. Soak them in water for 24hrs. this will keep center of potatoe nice and fluffy -
  3. separate into small batches and fry in lots of peanut oil approx. 3min each. temp is key so stick a thermometer in the oil and be ready for the oil temp to soar when you put in the fries.
  4. Set aside to cool a little bit and then go for the second time. The second time watch the color. When the edges start browning, pull out as the fries will keep cooking a bit after you pull them out.

If lazy, just by a deep fryer which will get them temp. perfect each time. and do the same thing.

Are Belgian pies really French then ?

Actually, according to wikipedia, Belgium can’t prove they invented them. While France says “It wasn’t us, it was Belgium”. Seems noone wants to take responsibility for them.

[quote=“Elegua”]1) Hand cut potatoes (or if lazy use mandolin)
2) Soak them in water for 24hrs. this will keep center of potatoe nice and fluffy -
3) separate into small batches and fry in lots of peanut oil approx. 3min each. temp is key so stick a thermometer in the oil and be ready for the oil temp to soar when you put in the fries.
4) Set aside to cool a little bit and then go for the second time. The second time watch the color. When the edges start browning, pull out as the fries will keep cooking a bit after you pull them out.

If lazy, just by a deep fryer which will get them temp. perfect each time. and do the same thing.[/quote]

Not a good idea as the potato will soak full of water and will lose taste … better to blanch for a few minutes …

Baking first time at a temp of about 175 C

Second time bake at around 185-190 C, they are done when the colour is right and they start to sing … :slight_smile:

But as I said, local potatoes are not good for making the perfect fry … They have a too high sugar content …

:idunno: recipie came from Balthazar in NYC. They soak them overnight after cutting. They do a very, very good steak frites and moules frites on the after hours menu

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Are Belgian pies really French then ?

Actually, according to wikipedia, Belgium can’t prove they invented them. While France says “It wasn’t us, it was Belgium”. Seems noone wants to take responsibility for them.[/quote]

Actually my Belgian pies are ‘Limburgse vlaaien’

And yes we can prove it … they published a scientific paper and book about it … wikipedia is wrong … :wink:

Mayo on frenched fries?! Why not. OK…

Will McDonald’s Fries do? What do I do? Just splash some Helmans or Kraft Food’s real mayo on my Fries?

If McDonald’s Fries won’t do, are there any good Fry makers in Kaohsiung?