Frenched fries ... time to put things right

So it’s finally proven that ‘French’ (frenched) fries are absolutely no French invention, have even nothing to do with France.

They are Belgian … so from now on fries are not ‘freedom’ or french but just frenched Belgian fries.

‘Frenched’ means cut in long strips, and therefor people assumed it were ‘French’ fries, nono they are Belgian and invented in the eastern Limburg province near the holland border, the river ‘Maas’ valley.

From now on I don’t want anyone to call fries ‘French’ on this forum … they should be called either Belgian or ‘frenched’ fries.

This is a very serious topic … we Belgians are very serious about the fries we fry and consume … we even have a professional potato fryers association that oversees the quality of the National Belgian fries … it’s serious business …

belgianfries.com/index.cfm?Module=histor1

Erm… can I just keep on calling them “chips” like I always have?

[quote]This is a very serious topic … we Belgians are very serious about the fries we fry and consume … we even have a professional potato fryers association that oversees the quality of the National Belgian fries … it’s serious business …
[/quote]
And then what? You smother them in … mayonnaise! :loco: :loco: :loco:

Well … you can call fried potato wedges whatever you want … but the real Belgian fries can not be named or called ‘chips’, in Belgium chips are thinly sliced potato discs …

So be carefull what to call them …

Even the fries McD sells are not chips nor are they French they are pommes allumettes … :wink:

Shouldn’t we be lowercasing that F, then, so they’re called “frenched fries”?

Pour moi - I eat frites none of this freedom shite.

Once I despised mayo on my fries, but after a while I’ve come to like it a lot. How about some moules with frites and mayo and a good tall glass of beer?

[quote=“sandman”][quote]This is a very serious topic … we Belgians are very serious about the fries we fry and consume … we even have a professional potato fryers association that oversees the quality of the National Belgian fries … it’s serious business …
[/quote]
And then what? You smother them in … mayonnaise! :loco: :loco: :loco:[/quote]

Yes, that’s what we do indeed and to the full glory of the fries … but … we not only use mayo … we have a zillion other kinds of delicious sauces to put on our fries not just tomato ketchup or vinegar … that’s so passe … and boring … dare man, dare …

Belgian fries is a cultural thing … you just don’t understand Belgian culture :laughing:

No way! This is so completely on topic - No moules w/out frites.

My mouth is watering already :scooby:

We spun of the moules frites to another thread, but this one can still continue … frenched Belgian fries …

That which we call a deep fried potato would by any other name still be covered in mayonaise. So would it be with French Fries were they not so called.

William Shakespeare

What is patat frites (spelling? :blush:)
When I visited Belgium a few years ago, I was confused because in Afrikaans (as spoken by South Africans) a ‘patat’ is a sweet-patato aka yam.

:help:

“Patate frites” or just “frites”? In French, you can call a potato “patate” or “pomme de terre” (earth apple).

Wot on earf are you torking abart?
Belgium’s only bin a country fer 174 years. My old granma, from the ‘Thames’ valley woz fryin’ luvly long chips from King Edward spuds miles before then. She used to feed 12 kids from one 'tater, Gawd Bless 'er.

J’ai faim. En as-tu de quoi a manger?

Oi!! Don’t gimme all that froggy tork, sunshine. Remember Waterloo.

Va te faire futre, tete carree!

Oh! Touche.
But I ‘ave to say, your french spellin’ is atroshus.

[quote=“lunatic”][quote=“belgian pie”]

‘Frenched’ means cut in long strips, and therefor people assumed it were ‘French’ fries, nono they are Belgian and invented in the eastern Limburg province near the holland border, the river ‘Maas’ valley.
[/quote]

Wot on earf are you torking abart?
Belgium’s only bin a country fer 174 years. My old granma, from the ‘Thames’ valley woz fryin’ luvly long chips from King Edward spuds miles before then. She used to feed 12 kids from one 'tater, Gawd Bless 'er.[/quote]

My guess is that she probably fried cut-up potatoes, not the long thick lovelely Belgian fries … and she perhaps used vinager on it … U see the difference? … no? Well it’s OK, not everyone is so educated about this topic … it’s culture … you people just don’t understand Belgian culture.

Not every deep fried potato is a worth calling Belgian fries … it’s THE Belgian fries … fried and served the way it should be …

Taiwansaffies

[quote]What is patat frites (spelling? )
When I visited Belgium a few years ago, I was confused because in Afrikaans (as spoken by South Africans) a ‘patat’ is a sweet-patato aka yam.[/quote]

In flemish dialect we also call it ‘patatten’ … from the french … but that’s the spud … ‘frieten’ thats the dutch word for fries.

I’ve finally purchased frozen fries.

I tried Americanism Potato. Stupid name of course and no idea if they were good but I got my SOB (significant other buddy) to dry fry them on a high heat and tossing them until they went brown.

They ended up better than the soggy ones I got at McDondalds yesterday. If anybody knows a good frozen fry to try then I’d like to know about it. Note that I’d almost never have fries in Australia but crave them here for some reason.

[quote=“Ironman”]
They ended up better than the soggy ones I got at McDondalds yesterday. If anybody knows a good frozen fry to try then I’d like to know about it. Note that I’d almost never have fries in Australia but crave them here for some reason.[/quote]

don’t eat’em frozen…get fresh potato and make ur own…its simple and doesn’t have to be messy

clicky-clicky!