Fresh salmon

It doesn’t have to be super fresh… but Carrefour’s salmon is usually a few days old.

There’s a guy at my local morning market who is not very dependable. Sometimes he’s there, sometimes he’s not. Unfortunately, my salmon cravings don’t always align with when he’s selling salmon steaks.

Is there a market that consistently sells fresh (24 hours old) salmon?

I almost feel stupid asking this question, given how popular salmon is here… but I only know about my one local salmon guy, who wasn’t there today, and I’m craving salmon now :-.

I’m in Xindian, but I’m willing to go into the city if it’s super tasty. I prefer to cook it myself. I’m not looking for a seafood restaurant.

Probably not as salmon is shipped frozen from Norway or the US, Canada, Chile.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realize this. The salmon I’m used to eating isn’t super fresh?

Hm.

So, to revise my question… where’s the yummiest salmon? I can’t stand grocery store salmon, and I’m hunting for a new salmon guy. It’s just really disappointing to go all the way to my local market, only to find that the salmon guy is taking a break :(.

No, salmon, tuna and some other are frozen. Some local catch is chilled, as is local farmed fish, seafood.

1 Like

I have to add though that some fish, seafood is airfreighted chilled on ice, but that’s on special order for high end restaurants.

Fish for to eat raw has to be frozen for a day or two at least to kill off parasites. Not oysters of course, and shrimp prawns should be OK not frozen.

1 Like

You need to head to one of the fishing port markets.

Yeah, that’s a good suggestion. Jump into a train and spend an afternoon heading to Keelung and back for a chunk of fresh salmon for lunch.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

He never mentioned not having a car. Lots of nice fish markets within easy driving distance. Besides, a couple of trips a week would keep him in fresh supply.

What crawled up your butt and died?
Rude people…

2 Likes

The salmon is still the frozen one, Taiwan has no salmon catch or farming.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if this, quite frankly, nuts idea was put into production?

1 Like

Yes, but the salmon at the ports is much better and cheaper than any supermarket. When I’m in Taiwan, I drive to the port to get seafood and have a meal a few times a week.

Why would that be, they come from the same importers.

Totally nuts!

1 Like

Which port are you getting fresh salmon at?

Have you actually tried both?
I’ve rarely had any supermarket seafood as good as what comes from the port.

Not fresh but the best.
Usually Yongan.

It depends on the supply chain and sales of the product. People are used to buy at markets, demand is higher, product turnover is higher. Supermarkets have a longer supply chain. But it’s the same fish.

2 Likes

“The team is able to raise salmon so quickly because water temperatures can be maintained at constant levels so fish can grow in the most suitable conditions without seasonal variations”

Maybe seasonal variations are needed to get the salmon at it’s best, fatty, omega 3.

1 Like

Seems better idea to farm the local Taiwan salmon which is rare. They do still sell imported Japanese, Chinese and Russian salmon but is not cheap.

Sounds like a great way to get a disease going and wipe out the rare landlocked salmon.

If you person wants ultra fresh anything, buy what is locally produced. Taiwan has tons of ultra fresh marine and aquatic life for sale. Often even still alive. As mentioned, best bet is visit the wet markets all over taiwan. There are lots. And remember not to confuse fresh with clean.

Dont want to say its impossible, but knowing some of the exporters in canada and usa that process and ship here, its past 24h old before its loaded into a container usually. Usually within 2 days, japan destined boats are a bit quicker. Never mind sailing here, distribution and all that. Maybe super expensive restuarants are your best bet for a $10,000 salmon steak thats fresh :wink:

Either way, in taiwan you can probbaly only get pink or atlantic salmon :frowning:

1 Like