From china to taiwan-english teacher needs work

Last month I finished a contract teaching in China. Plenty of RMB left which is useless for sending home. I want to come and work in Taiwan so i can send money home to the UK and save money. I hope to return to the UK and do a PGCE later, which i believe will increase my earning power as an english teacher.

Can anyone advise me on finding a job and where is the best place to pick up a VISA. Oddly enough seems i have to go to either Bangkok or Hongkong!!! And they say Taiwan is part of China. Told i can change RMB to HK$$ but not to NTD$ is this true? Want to get to Taiwan and in a job before my money runs out in China. And even if i do carry on working in China, RMB is not the money i want to be earning since i can’t take it with me.

“They” told you Taiwan is part of China? Did “they” also tell you that only splittists and subversives died in Tiananmen? Don’t believe “them”. Welcome to Taiwan, but don’t be under any illusions as to Taiwan’s affinity with China. Even culturally, there is a massive movement towards de-sinicizing this place. The very last thing to go will be the name “Republic of China”, and only when the residents of this island are somewhat sure that there won’t be a barrage of missiles coming down on top of them.

I think you can take “some” moeny you earn in China with you. My husband and me exchanged some of our earning in China to Euro without any problem. As far as I know that you can only exchange some portion of your income like 50%. I do not really know the exact proportion. I think you just need to have the document that shows where your money come from, etc. Get a local you can trust to help you out. I met some English teachers in China that told me exactly the samething but I just think it is bullshit from Chinese banks. My husband is German and he got his money exchanged as well.

Go to Hong Kong, change your RMB over the counter at any exchange booth, do some tourist stuff, buy a return ticket to Taiwan from HK, and then go get your visa to come here.

If you have more RMB than you need for all this then it is possible to convert them directly to NT$, illegally, at a seaman’s shop in Jilong. Probably not worth the effort. Personally I would recommend just converting it all to HK$, and then to NT$ if you have anything left after paying all the costs of getting here.

Or maybe you can find someone here that is going the other way and you can do a private deal with them?

[quote=“stragbasher”]Go to Hong Kong, change your RMB over the counter at any exchange booth, do some tourist stuff, buy a return ticket to Taiwan from HK, and then go get your visa to come here.

If you have more RMB than you need for all this then it is possible to convert them directly to NT$, illegally, at a seaman’s shop in Jilong. Probably not worth the effort. Personally I would recommend just converting it all to HK$, and then to NT$ if you have anything left after paying all the costs of getting here.

Or maybe you can find someone here that is going the other way and you can do a private deal with them?[/quote]
Yes, take the money in cash to HK and exchange for either HK$ or US$. Then exchange in either HK or Taiwan for NT$. I think you will get a better rate if you wait until you arrive in Taiwan. You can find places to exchange NT$<>RMB in Taiwanese occupied places like Suzhou or Dongguan, but the rates are horrible and they may not exchange with a gweilo.

Well, please tell those motherfuckers that you’ll believe Taiwan is part of the PRC when you can legally exchange the NT$ inside of mainland China, or hell, for that matter legally exchange the HK$ on the mainland. :wink:

Don’t tell me there is no more Black Market money changing in the Mainland. :shock: