Fruit name question

I had some juice at a restaurant. My friend didn’t know the name of the fruit in English and I’ve forgotten part of what she said. It’s “bai ____ guo.” She said people don’t eat the fruit because its, “too sweet”, and that it’s about the size of her fist and purple. Can anyone help?

Passionfruit?

Yeah, sounds like “baixiangguo”, passionfruit. They can be very sour, actually.

I would say that too, except I never met a sweet one. Sour as to take the enamel off your teeth.

I’d say Passion fruit as well.
Depending on the restaurant, and the quality of the juice, they may have used concentrate, not fresh baixiangguo… and the concentrate is very sweet. (Ridiculously sweet compared to the the fruit.)
:2cents:

No way! They can be sweet as anything. Sour no doubt, sour as anything, but sweet too. Cut off the top, spoon it all out, heaven. The uglier and wrinklier they are the sweeter they are. Stay away from the smooth hard pretty ones. I like the way each one has a slightly different flavor.

No way! They can be sweet as anything. Sour no doubt, sour as anything, but sweet too. Cut off the top, spoon it all out, heaven. The uglier and wrinklier they are the sweeter they are. Stay away from the smooth hard pretty ones. I like the way each one has a slightly different flavor.[/quote]

Like boys.

Perhaps, except for cutting off the top and spooning it out.

Great. Yes she mentioned that they’re better when they get wrinkled. She said they use them when they’re smooth to make juice.
Thanks!

No way! They can be sweet as anything. Sour no doubt, sour as anything, but sweet too. Cut off the top, spoon it all out, heaven. The uglier and wrinklier they are the sweeter they are. Stay away from the smooth hard pretty ones. I like the way each one has a slightly different flavor.[/quote]

Don’t you find the wrinkly ones get fizzy? And even when sweet there is this acidity to them. I love them, but only after liberal doses of sweetener.

Best shaved ice in the world - passionfruit and crunch peanuts.

Fizzy? I’ve never noticed. When they really start to go they can take on a bit of an over-ripe flavor, I wouldn’t know how to describe it. They have to be pretty wrinkly for that though.

No doubt they are acidic, but that doesn’t bother me, interesting wasn’t it you I was talking to in the coffee thread who said they found lightly roasted beans in a french press too sour?

No, not me. That’s what I drink every morning. Just don’t steep it too long. 4min is about it. After that it goes in the fridge for ice coffee. Nothing like a highball of ice coffee in the morning. :thumbsup:

I think the window between ripe and overripe seems very small for passion-fruit. I do like the crunchy seeds though. Makes the best fruit ices. Ice, passion-fruit, sugar syrup and a whirl in the blender.