Funny Taiwanese news stories

Afraid this is the Daily Mail an English Newspaper but this thread is nearest. Another Proof reader FAIL :unamused:

“New blow for Peru Two as prosecutors demand more information on their cocaine trafficking confession before accepting guilty plea” :slight_smile:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2432452/Peru-drugs-case-Prosecutors-demand-information-Melissa-Reid-Michaella-McCollums-confession.html

That’s pretty impressive for one bee! :smiley:

Golden shovel led to birth of twin girls, parents say

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2013/09/26/2003573057

:roflmao:

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]Golden shovel led to birth of twin girls, parents say

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2013/09/26/2003573057

:roflmao:[/quote]

Oh, don’t get me started on that one… :fume:

I SERIOUSLY hope their legal names are not Shuangshuang and Xixi. That would suck.

No pregnancy after years of trying and then twins? I’m more than a little suspicious they had IVF treatment.

Happened to a family member of mine. Never say never!

The article says they picked up the shovel before they went to a fertility clinic for IVF. So yes definitely down to the piece of metal under their beds…

There is a war going on in Syria! On a quiet news days, they could report on other stories from around the world. But no, better to just broadcast Taiwan local interest stories and Youtube videos…

Happened to a family member of mine. Never say never![/quote]

Was it the work of a golden shovel? :laughing:

[quote=“aphasiac”]The article says they picked up the shovel before they went to a fertility clinic for IVF. So yes definitely down to the piece of metal under their beds…

There is a war going on in Syria! On a quiet news days, they could report on other stories from around the world. But no, better to just broadcast Taiwan local interest stories and Youtube videos…[/quote]

I agree with you in part. There is not a lot of global news on TV, but there is some. Practical considerations, though, mean that Taiwanese news channels cannot afford to embed reporters in Syria or Egypt, especially when the outcome of the political strife in these countries has next to no impact on Taiwan. For news viewers here, the Syrian civil war is about as relevant as American viewers find the ethnic violence in Myanmar – not at all.

It took me a few years working in media to realize, but media outlets are businesses before anything else. If they can’t make money somehow, they can’t survive. High-cost, low-return stories like on-the-ground coverage of Syria doesn’t make practical sense, so instead they just broadcast a 30-second summary of what UDN reported based on a New York Times article and go on their merry way.

Now, the really scare media outlets are the ones who don’t care about turning revenue because they’re linked to big business interests. The China Times is the least circulated of Taiwan’s big four papers, and they really don’t care because Want Want can continue pouring money in. They also have an English news source, Want China Times, that seems to make zero money because it’s online-only and does not run advertisements. All of this works to further the personal ideology of the guy in charge.

I have it on authority that Taipei Times also doesn’t particularly care about circulation because the green money will continue coming in as long as they prop up the DPP. I wouldn’t be surprised if many TV stations work the same way.

Now if you want to change things, you have to start with education. Taiwanese need to be told from a young age that Taiwan, too, is a part of planet Earth so that they can become global citizens. Teaching history using the amazingly dated concept of “民國年” is a fantastically effective way to basically cut off ROC history from the rest of the world. Most people I know have no way of connecting events in the history of China or Taiwan to the greater scheme of global events, and I suspect this is the major culprit.

2 Likes
1 Like