Fusion/Hybrid of QQ/Mochi/etc. into other Taiwanese food?

Wasn’t sure what to title this so bear with me, I’ll explain.

I really like the super-chewy-yet-smooshy texture of the tapioca bubbles in bubble tea, and in this thread I am hoping to find other dishes or categories of food where they have “crossed over”.

A couple examples of this are the bubbles covered in brown sugar chocolate that 7-11 sells (even though that is a gummy inside), and now you can find those bubble tea mochi’s with a bubble at the center nearly everywhere.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be the actual bubbles (bonus points if it is though) and definitely not the brown sugar milk tea flavor - moreso I am looking for the texture - but given the popularity of the those bubbles, I wonder if there are any other areas of Taiwanese cuisine where it has crossed over to. I’d love to try some. If it makes a difference, I am in Kaohsiung.

1 Like

Domino’s was sticking them on pizza

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Yeah, like that kind of thing. Perhaps a bit less on the nose, although I probably would have tried that pizza.

I remember KFC was putting them on/in the egg tarts, and then there’s that korean mochi bread that various places sell including Carrefour.

This tapioca bubble tea custard. Haven’t tried it because of the long lines and it gets sold out quickly. I’ll wait a few weeks after the hype dies down.

1 Like

Oh yes! That’s on the list now. Good tip about the lines and waiting a bit.

Got this from Carrefour yesterday, but haven’t tried it yet

Carrefour and PXmart have frozen bubbles, PXmart has some made of sweet potato. And I know you can also buy the mochi & korean rice cakes that you can just microwave.

In the past few months, the number of bubble tea ice creams have skyrocketed. From tubs to popsicles to cones, this seems to be the new trend here, and I’m excited!

Any other places that the bubbles/mochi/general texture of the two are popping up?

Any made of yam? :howyoudoin:

I love mochi ice cream😋

Ah, life has come full circle.

One is only yam, one has taro too!

The Haagen-Dasz caramel mochi ice cream they have here is really good. And plenty of mochi, a really good mochi to cream ratio.

The other day I had the salted egg yolk bubble tea popsicles that pxmart sells - they are another world of delicious. No skimping on the bubbles there!

Any other suggestions?

I think this could be a big wide open market… What could we bubblize?

I found in Carrefour by the prepackaged Taiwanese sausages, these little randomly shaped (basically trapezoids or rectangles, as if somebody pinched off thumbsized slabs of dough) which turned out to be very sinilar in texture to mochi when cooked.

Anybody got other chewy Taiwanese delicacies/fare?

For my own future reference and to bump this thread, I just found out that “QQ” is not a specific type of ingredient or foodstuff, but a category of food that is chewy, containing mochi and the tapioca balls, etc.

So I guess what I’m looking for here could precisely be different types of QQ foods in Taiwan.

Imei bubble tea ice pops, they’re pretty good

I was avoiding those because the pictures didn’t show any tapioca bits inside. Are there?

P.S. if you like those, try the egg yolk bubble tea ones, they have them in carrefour now too. Sounds wierd but they are really delicious.

Edit: these:

(NB: not my pic, not my dirty hand)

Yep!

waw

Of course they do, that is the cheapest ingredient.

1 Like

I’d like to bump this up in case anybody has some updated knowledge. I tried that tart @Incubus posted and it was quite good!

I’ll be leaving within a few months probably so I want to make sure I get anything noteworthy in before I do. I love me that QQ.

Some other examples I’ve found on my own include those Korean rice cakes, mochi of course, yam/taro versions of bubbles (“sweet potato rice” at PXmart and there is a version at carrefour), and this other thing from the hotpot section of Carrefour which is like thumb-sized pieces made of udon noodle dough (large and individual rather than actual noodle). A lot of stores are also now selling “bubbles” (but made of jelly) covered in chocolate. They are quite good and there are 2 main varieties with different tastes - one brand even has a taro ice cream version which is quite good.

1 Like