Gangster & Mob films

tea

1 Like

Hoodlum was playing today on tv. Lawrence Fishburn as Bumpy Johnson, with Vanessa Williams as his romantic interest and Cicely Tyson as Queenie. Was a bit confused by Andy Garcia in yet another mafia role.

Koreans excel at making gangster movies and revenge flicks. Some standouts:

1- ģ¹œźµ¬ / chingu / friend - OG korean gangster flick. If youā€™re a korean born before 1995, youā€™ve seen this.

2- ģ‹ ģ„øź³„ / shinsaegae / new world - Koreaā€™s version of infernal affairs / the departed and my favorite version.

3- ģ•…ģøģ „ / aginjun / the gangster the cop the devil - gangster and cop team-Up to catch a serial killer. Based on true events (albeit loosely)

4- ė‚“ė¶€ģžė“¤ / naebujadeul / inside men - more political crime drama (but thereā€™s a gangsta in it!). Watch the extended edition - itā€™s much better.

De Niro and Pacino do look kinda like wax figures in it.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/martin-scorsese-the-irishman-cgi-make-up-robert-de-niro-al-pacino-a9154271.html%3Famp

1 Like

I didnā€™t say white and I didnā€™t say it was wrong. Just an observation. The reality is straight guys love gangster movies because of the violence and the swearing.

IDK how accurate that is, and how straight compare to homosexuals in this regards. Is there any study on this? I donā€™t know enough gay guys for coming up to any conclusion.

I can tell you that I donā€™t favourite this genre over others, and although I have had my doubts I love pussies and donā€™t like dicks.

And I love swearing.

EDIT: and I donā€™t think that these movies are made for straight people. That was my original point. These movies ARE NOT they way they are for appealing the audience you said. They are the way the are because thatā€™s the only way they can be.

This could be the case. I like some gangster movies because they are great movies. The plot, character development, memorable scenes etc. What movies do gay guys love and why?

Again, no, movies talking about a specific topic that may or may not be popular to a (straight) gender. You were replying this:

So you make it sound like these movies have unnecessary violence or bad language only because they are targeted at certain consumer. And I think that it could be possible that some of the movies that fall under this genre might have been conceived with a target public in mind, or what (straight) guys might like these movies more than other people, but again the way these movies display violence or make use of language is very natural given the topic.

Iā€™m a straight, middle-aged white guy. Just watched ā€œThe Irish Manā€. Enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah itā€™s picking up

Now thereā€™s an underrated movie.

No. They attract certain consumers because they are unnecessarily violent and use swear words excessively, not the other way around.

1 Like

Also, itā€™s awesome they cast Stephen Graham. I didnā€™t hear about that

How do you think gangsters operate and talk?

1 Like

The scenes with Stephen Graham and Pacino are awesome. Also, I thought Joe Pesci was really good.

1 Like

Yeah I restarted it and Iā€™m watching it now. I got a little sidetracked the first time. Agree with you totally on both of those

I like the Kennedy assassination scene too. A lot said there without a word. I like the guy who plays William Buffalino

I could see why you might say that. I heard a lot of younger people arenā€™t into it. And yeah it doesnā€™t have the youthful energy and zip of Goodfellas. Thereā€™s a lot of fascinating historical stuff in there,.Jimmy Hoffa, JFK and the mafia. Who probably killed who. If you are into that history it resonates more. It filled in some blanks for me. Iā€™m interested to go back and see video of the real Jimmy Hoffa. Really liked that character in the movie.
I did like the set scenes , the period setting and lighting in particular .

1 Like

I honestly just wasnā€™t in the mood for a long movie and one that is a bit slow. I may give it another chance when I have the time.

Has anyone mentioned ā€˜A Bronx Taleā€™ and ā€˜The King of New Yorkā€™? Two lesser known, great mob films.

And then thereā€™s the late 80s of early 90s remake of ā€˜The Untouchablesā€™, which I think approaches ā€˜Good Fellasā€™ level of greatness at times.

2 Likes