Gaoxiong voters are morons

[url=http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2003/06/17/2003055562]Zhu Anxiong (

Because, unfortunately, the majority of Taiwanese people are apathetic and self-interested. Ask people what should be done to fix a problem in society here and the usual answer is “The government should…”

But then when the government does introduce laws or policies, the majority of Taiwanese will do their level best to cheat.

I suppose it doesn’t help that during the formative years until adulthood, the Taiwanese is manipulated and directed by educational institutes, family, Confucian values etc.

People get the government they deserve.

Soddom,

great avatar.

Chou

Try living here with this crap. I’ve asked several of my adult students what gives and they don’t seem to have much of an answer. I feel I’m more upset about having a crook in office than they are. When I ask why don’t people do anything I’m told it’s because we are just individual nobodies, why should we be expected to exact change? Thus, I agree with blueface they’ve definitely got the gov’t they deserve. It’s also quite comical to hear the moron say that he will now spend the rest of his term fighting corruption so others won’t have to be victimized as he was. What a joke!

The problem isn’t just restricted to Kaohsiung. How about the PFP candidate who wants to run for Hualien county commissioner after having served six years for a corruption conviction? In what other country in the world could a convicted felon win a nomination from a major party to run in an election, much less have the gall to actually declare he will work for the best interests of the people!

Only in Taiwan!

[quote=“mfaass”]In what other country in the world could a convicted felon win a nomination from a major party to run in an election, much less have the gall to actually declare he will work for the best interests of the people!

Only in Taiwan![/quote]

Well let’s not forget the leader of big Sicily. :laughing:

iht.com/IHT/ECON/98/af071498.html

And let’s not forget the US.

Four time mayor of Washington DC, Marion Barry, was implicated in fraud, cocaine and other wrongdoing from his first term. In 1990 the FBI busted him smoking crack in a hotel room and he was convicted of drug possession. But after serving six months in prison, he was reelected mayor in 1994.

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lo … /mayor.htm

So corruption exists everywhere at some levels and in some instances. It just seems that elsewhere it is the exception to the rule, while here it is the rule rather than the exception.

Taiwan will never be cleaned up until the grassrooots corruption, which sees politicians buying votes through money and favors with supporters is more tightly controlled. Sadly, I feel, too many people currently benefit from black gold (hei jin) to ever do anything about it. There is an insufficient civil society established here to pressure for change, as the KMT effectively suppressed it over the previous fifty years.

In France, Chirac was re-elected despite very very heavy corruption suspicion (while he was mayor of Paris).
He is now working hard on burying all files against him.

Taurus

[quote=“Taurus”]In France, Chirac was re-elected despite very very heavy corruption suspicion (while he was mayor of Paris).
He is now working hard on burying all files against him.

Taurus[/quote]

In Taiwan, on forumosa, some members have been banned, their posts deleted, their existence pretended to never have been.

Chou

Yes, Zhu Anxiong and the likes…
That’s why I don’t like to watch TV news broadcast so much anymore. It’s not good to my health: :laughing: my blood pressure hikes when I turn on TV, watching those thick-skinned political figures blablabla in front of cameras who think they can manipulate the public’s ignorance (and they sometimes do!!). Some, who talk nonsense or intentionally try to mislead the public by wrong messages or false statistics in standard Mandarin and charismatic tone (guess who!), look just like apes in suits. (sorry, apes!!!, not personal!! :sunglasses: )