Gap between old work permit being terminated and applying for a new one

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I’ve searched the forum but haven’t been able to find a similar situation that gives a clear answer to my question.

I have a work permit + ARC with my old school, and my employment with them was officially terminated (according to the termination letter) on December 31st 2015.

I have a new job lined up but for whatever reason it took a little longer for my health check to come through than we expected and then my boss went on vacation for a week - long story short we still haven’t applied for my new work permit.

Is there any leeway in applying for a new work permit after your old one expires? Now that the health check has come through we should be able to apply on the 3rd or 4th January this week, so it’s just a three or four day gap between the termination of my old employment and my application for a new work permit. I’ve read that as long as you’ve applied for a work permit you’re allowed to be here so I shouldn’t have any trouble after that, right?

Also, my old ARC has an expiry date of 31st August 2016 but I think that doesn’t matter now that the contract with the school that ARC was held with has been terminated, right?

I just want to make sure that I’m not going to run into any big problems since I think I technically don’t have any legal right to be here in these few days between the termination of my old employment and my application for a new work permit.

It looks like you’re asking too late, but you can get a six-month ARC extension, and you can use searching for another job as a reason to receive that extension.