Gauge piercings while teaching

Hey there. I was wondering that if I went to go teach in Taiwan, how schools would feel about my gauged ears. I have a 4 gauge, so the diameter of the hole in each ear is 5mm. Are schools typically conservative in this regard?

here’s the gauge chart that might help with answering this post.
Those extra ear holes are gonna draw attention, but so long as they’re clean and don’t smell?

Really? You have a 5mm diameter hole in each of your ears? Why? :ponder:

In the current market anything that makes you stand out in a negative way is a big disadvantage. In the past any old muppet could get work teaching, but the market appears to be getting tougher.

My advice would be to get a job with a chain school, so the franchise they dump you on gets you sight unseen. Then the owner will be forced to explain away the ear holes, just as they had to explain away the arseholes in earlier times :laughing: . The punters didn’t have much of a choice back then so had to settle for whatever was available.

A bit harsh from the previous poster, but if a prospective teacher came to me with such piercings, I must admit it wouldn’t help. I could suggest that you dress more formally than others. The English teacher in shorts and t-shirts, kindy aside, will be extinct before too long.

Best of luck.

[quote=“viba”]A bit harsh from the previous poster, but if a prospective teacher came to me with such piercings, I must admit it wouldn’t help. I could suggest that you dress more formally than others. The English teacher in shorts and t-shirts, kindy aside, will be extinct before too long.

Best of luck.[/quote]

thank you, I appreciate your actual help

I agree. Schools can pretty much pick and choose now.

It’s easy to stereotype people with piercings and tattoos. And, yes, Taiwanese school laobans can be quite conservative. My employment is pretty secure, but I always keep my body-art well covered while at school.

If I were you, I’d compensate by making a point of dressing relatively formally, e.g. trousers, business shirt, jacket (but a tie, I think, would be overdoing it), polished leather shoes.
Stay clean shaven and well groomed, and the guage piercings may appear cool rather than trashy, which, if I’m not mistaken, is the intention.

Although it’s not my responsibility to hire or fire teachers, I’m pretty sure I’d always hire the cool teacher rather than the conventional one (most other things being equal, of course.)

It depends if you like making money or not. :laughing: Simply put, most customers don’t want their children to be taught by someone with holes/tattoos/piercings all over their body. I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s the way it is.

Now that they have more options, they’re more likely to find a suitable sexton–maybe even one with the right kind of ankles.

If it’s not too much of an affront to your personal expression (I’m not taking the piss, people feel differently about these things) you could invest in those flesh coloured guages that kind of mask it a little for the time when you’re in work. Might be a solution, and after a while when the school parents like you, you can probably not bother. Just a thought

Really? You have a 5mm diameter hole in each of your ears? Why? :ponder:[/quote]

I don’t see this post or tomthornes posts as being unhelpful. tomthorne gave some good advice about working in a chain school. He did not equate having ear piercings with being an asshole. Tigerman gave his opinion on what thought ran through his mind. If he, as a parent, has such a thought, you can imagine another parent might equally have such a thought. Schools are businesses and as such will second guess what a parent might think.

Are schools typically conservative in this regard? Define: school. Taiwan is awash with all manner of settings where kids go to be educated in English.

Aside: Also, it is difficult sometimes to get a straight answer on this forum. There is a collective discourse here, usually one which can be equated with a bunch of spooked cows who will have extremely polarized views, regarding most things. It’s generally a defeatist, conservative and, I might add, slightly racist, sexist and ageist discourse. However, there are other discourses too. You’ll have to decide which discourse you want to be dominant in your mind when you go for job interviews etc. The advice given in this thread is generally positive and helpful though. Dress smart to minimise the prominence of your ear holes. Maybe try a chain school first. Oh, and if you do get some rejections for jobs I wouldn’t push too hard to find out if your ear holes have played any part. The school will more likely lie to you through shame and if they are honest it will possibly be demoralizing for you. I realise this last part is unsolicited advice, but here it is anyway. :smiley:

School owners can get over these things, but you have to show them a reason why. Why are you going to be a great teacher?

Well, I don’t know about the other posters in this thread, but personally I can’t imagine a buxiban hiring somebody with 5.2mm holes in their ears. That’s beyond “not looking professional,” like wearing sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt. Everyone I know with tattoos and guys with earrings at buxibans makes sure to cover them up or take them out while at work.

The job market here is getting tighter and more competitive, and a professional look and style can go a long way.

Gaping holes in your ears aside, you should concentrate on getting your stray apostrophes in order (like, eliminated).

But I thought I’d already said that…

Or a whip school. Whichever rocks your boat. :wink:

I’m from the hippie era, so I can never seem to get aboard what the big deal is about these kinds of things. I’ve never given any serious thought to the idea that someone might be rejected for employment because of a couple of holes in their ears. I mean, I could understand if the employer were someone like my dad (1916-1995). Do they still make people like that?

I had to look at a ruler to get an idea of what we’re talking about. Is five millimeters that big of a piercing? It looks bigger than what people usually get for earrings, but it doesn’t look all that big to me.

Anyway, as a possible solution, this looks promising:

That sounds like a good idea, but I would add, since I don’t know anything about piercings (I’m an old fart), that your first priority should be [color=#000080]medical safety[/color]. If you can conceal the piercings in a [color=#000080]medically safe[/color] way, then it seems to me that would be the way to go.

Yep.

If you’re young and white and dress nicely you can probably just cut your ears off completely and still land a job.

Yep.

If you’re young and white and dress nicely you can probably just cut your ears off completely and still land a job.[/quote]

Yeah, tell that to The Chopper