Same Sex Marriage

Socialization is very real.

And this still doesn’t explain why I so often find myself being one of the boys. I know I’m not that much of an anomaly.

maybe you can introduce a scoring system for all hetero/same sex couples wanting to have children. Couples that dont clear the minimum standard could be prohibited to have their biological kids for the interest of children.

1 Like

@lateforthesky Are you joking? One of them did their studies by asking the gay parents about their opinions of how the kid is doing…how is this even science. Many of the research saying it’s the same take pretty small and isolated sample sizes I found. Even just do interviews and some are even friends and families of the researchers themselves. I can’t see how the sample and research are conducted on your first link either.

Here is one good research. The actual paper needs to be paid to see the publish one, but I quotes some background for you.

One survey question asked whether a parent had been in a same-sex relationship during a child’s upbringing; Regnerus wanted to see whether there were differences between kids raised in a household by a parent in a same-sex relationship compared with those who were raised by biological parents who were married and heterosexual.

The survey results were measured by a set of 40 outcomes on social, emotional and relationship factors. Outcomes included whether a child had grown up to need public assistance like welfare, were more likely to have anxiety or depression, were more likely to be abused, or were more apt engage in unhealthier habits such as having more sexual partners, smoking or using drugs.

Regnerus’ analysis identified 175 now-adult children who said they were raised by a lesbian mother, along with 73 who said their father was in a same-sex relationship. Focusing on the larger sample, the study found respondents whose mother had a same-sex relationship fared worse on 24 of the 40 tested outcomes, compared with children of an intact heterosexual couple.

Sixty-nine percent of children of lesbian mothers reported that their family received public assistance, such as welfare at some point, compared with 17 percent from intact biological families. About half of children of an intact biological family said they were employed full-time, compared with 26 percent of those born to a lesbian mother. Fourteen percent of kids of a lesbian mom spent time in foster care at some point, compared with 2 percent of the rest of the children studied. Overall, less than 2 percent of all respondents who said their mother had a same-sex relationship reported living with their mom and her partner for all 18 years of their childhood.

With children of dads in a same-sex relationship, there were 19 outcomes they performed worse on, Regnerus told HealthPop, so they didn’t have as many negative outcomes as kids born to a mom without the mother, but more than those who grew up in a home with married heterosexual parents, he said.

Anyways, I’m done replying.

You don’t know this.

There may well be problems with such a procedure. It’s hypothetical as far as I know. But that’s a separate issue from a posited “right to a biological father and mother”.

I don’t see one, no.

Hurrah and huzzah!!:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

I think it all boils down to “ix-nay in the utt-bay”.

They were the ones who stopped the Pagans having multiple wives, they were the party spoilers not the Pagans, heathens …

As I’ve mentioned. There’s an issue regarding private international law (international marriage) so they would have to amend the Act Governing the Choice of Law in Civil Matters Involving Foreign Elements for that to be legal.

It’s sad but it’s not uncommon that same sex couples are only allowed to adopt step-children even in countries where same sex marriage is legal. E.g. Portugal - SSM was legalised in 2009 but joint adoption was legalised in 2016.

Now, what they should do soon is to allow step-child adoption for an adopted child. Since single adoption has always been legal, this way the other parent can also legally adopt the adopted child, i.e. Germany before 2017.

1 Like

Plato suggested that. He suggested a number system where people allocated certain numbers would only breed with those of the same number.
As for gay couples raising kids, well I’d guess their well being might be heavily influenced by how other kids accept them and how well they can integrate. I’m sure in upper middle class areas of San Francisco probably very well , but in somewhere like Liverpool England or St Petersburg Russia then life at school maybe hell, unless they were sent off to some elite boarding school.

@Andrew0409, if we should keep a standard high for children, interracial couples should be banned from having their biological kids for the interest of children? Especially in homogeneous societies where most of kids have same race parents?

It can have an impact both positive and negative but obviously it has a degree of influence on their lives. In Brazil probably almost minimal but somewhere like Japan I’m pretty sure it would have a major influence.

Did you notice that the proposed law raises the standard? Any straight couple can get married, as long as they meet the (lower) age requirement and (same) non-kinship requirement and aren’t already married to anyone else. They theoretically need to be willing to live together, but they don’t need to love each other, and they can be unfaithful with each other’s permission*. They can get married purely for economic reasons, if they so choose.

A gay couple, on the other hand, are statutorily required to be in a 親密性及排他性 (intimate and exclusive) relationship.

Does this double standard make sense?

I think the debate about designer babies is premature (not that humans aren’t progressing technologically, but the publicly available technology isn’t there yet), and when the time comes to make a law about it, the Civil Code and the gay marriage law (or maybe just the CC by then) can easily be amended. This isn’t constitution-changing stuff.

No need for the same sex couples to be “intact” then? Sounds like faulty parallelism.

I guess you’re not a Shakespeare fan, then. :idunno:

Nor Confucius, apparently. :idunno:

If you take that concept to its logical conclusion, any woman who scores lower than X on a psychological agreeableness test should be sterilized, or something. Slippery slope, man. :mountain: :hushed:

(Darn, Tando and Crusher beat me to it!)

Parenting styles can be observed in infants? Fascinating. :popcorn:

Of course you can argue – what do you think this thread is? Of course, just because you can argue, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to win (what if you’re wrong?). But thanks for trying. :slight_smile:

*ETA: see Criminal Code Art. 245

1 Like

Oh god! By this standard I should probably be sterilized…

It seems like Andrew has a very fixed (and oddly dated, like 1950’s style) idea about gender roles and how they relate to parenting, when it’s obvious to most everyone else that women/mothers don’t all behave the same and men/fathers don’t all behave the same. Sometimes not even vaguely similarly.

So you believe you as a woman should have no issues fulfilling the roles of a mom and dad raising a child?

You still haven’t elucidated what you consider an optimal mom role or dad role. So this question is pretty meaningless.

Are men and women different? Do women not gravitate towards roles like nurses and teachers while men gravitate more towards scientists and engineers. Children mimic and learn behaviors from their parents as well. The roles aren’t set like the dad is the disciplinary, the point is they are innate for men and for women.

Is that so? Then why was my mother the disciplinary? Why did my father gravitate toward teaching as a career? Why am I so aggressive, disagreeable, and into video games and weightlifting? How could it be that we, and so many other people I’ve met in my life, defy what you believe about gender deciding someone’s personality, career choices, or parenting style?

You are really stuck in the past or something.

statistically, men and women are different. Deviations of individual women/men are smaller than the statistical difference between men and women?

Are you saying women not gravitate towards roles like nurses and teachers arent fulfiling the roles of your optimal mother?

1 Like

Coming from a divorced household in a very conservative country, I can tell you the problem is not the family but the society itself. Things have changed a lot in our neck of the woods, as they will in Taiwan.

For example, the main problem a woman as a single parent, by divorce or otherwise, is who going to take scare of the kid while she works. In Taiwan, you pay buxiban/nanny care/etc. Many countries did not have this before as women were supposed to stay at home and one way to do this is to limit day care options -Japan, cough cough. Eventually, as more women get into the workforce, this business of taking care of otehr people´s children also opens up. There is also longer working hours for supermarkets and related industtries, bookstores, clothing stores, as people need to buy school supplies and prepare food for the next day, and shopping can only be done after work. That is how both teh economy and society change gradually.

There is always the economic disparity that women are paid less than men and hence, divorced women may have households with less income. And no, not all women get alimony and live their days by the pool drinking margaritas. Quite a bit, especially in Taiwan, but also in teh old country, must trade off the kids for the money. They want the girl -boy would be really difficult to keep- so they must give up child support. You can see the enws all teh cases wher ethe children are given to the father because he´s the one earning more.

But mentality is hard to change. people will repeat the same stereoptypes now as they had before. I am old enough to remember seeing articles on papers about teh psychological problems kids from dovorced parents had. The teachers expected you to have disciploinary problems. Truth was most of us were more responsible, from the latchkey kids to the ones taking care of their little brotehrs, more independent, and less troublesome than kids from broken marriages that stayed together. I heard and read the same thing when single parent households became the norm, when women just had kids on their own or men adopted. So I am not surprised they say the same about children from gay parents and I expect they are about to undergo the same evolution to discover that no, not one size fits all.

People are naturally afraid of what´s different. But labels are good only for foodstuffs. We cannot ban all LGBT families from having children, just because we think they will fail. So far, most failures still come from heterosexual households, hence, the clue to raising a balanced happy individual who fits well in society is not just a heterosexual background. It is a matter of love and care and order and calm energy.

Recently I saw one of thsoe videos where the cops just stopped an African American teacher and threw her in the back of the police car. She was not disrespectful nor agrressive, yet they were terrified of this woman. She asked why? They replied “because your people are violent”. That is so wrong on many levels. yet it explains why people have a bias and won´t look at individual cases but generalize. And its consequences.

1 Like

It doesnt define…and I said the roles aren’t set…are you able to read?

Do you think i’m making it up when I said women are more agreeable, it’s backed up stats.