Gay Marriage Part 2 (4/2012-11/2013)

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: Split from the original 37 pages long [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/gay-marriage-part-1-11-2006-2-2012/33310/1 marriage[/url] thread, because this post seems like the perfect place to start part 2.[/color]

First high court hearing on gay marriage (in Chinese):

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%90%8C%E5%BF%97%E5%A9%9A%E5%A7%BB%E5%AE%98%E5%8F%B8%E9%96%8B%E5%BA%AD-%E9%9B%99%E6%96%B9%E6%AF%8D%E8%A6%AA%E5%8A%9B%E6%8C%BA-203116988.html

Both moms are supportive of their boys.

高治瑋 is probably the wife in this case since 陳敬學 calls his parents 岳父, 岳母.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs are calling on the govt’s violation of the constitution by denying their marriage certification since there is nowhere in the ROC constitution which dictates that same-sex cannot be married.

This should be interesting. :popcorn:

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]First high court hearing on gay marriage (in Chinese):

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%90%8C%E5%BF%97%E5%A9%9A%E5%A7%BB%E5%AE%98%E5%8F%B8%E9%96%8B%E5%BA%AD-%E9%9B%99%E6%96%B9%E6%AF%8D%E8%A6%AA%E5%8A%9B%E6%8C%BA-203116988.html

Both moms are supportive of their boys.

高治瑋 is probably the wife in this case since 陳敬學 calls his parents 岳父, 岳母.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs are calling on the govt’s violation of the constitution by denying their marriage certification since there is nowhere in the ROC constitution which dictates that same-sex cannot be married.

This should be interesting. :popcorn:[/quote]
加油!加油!! Is all I can say! :thumbsup: :bravo:

And awesome of their parents! :notworthy: :bow:

English link: focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … 1204100046

:bravo:

Oh, and I think the “new daughter-in-law, or son” bit in the English translation is quite funny!

Oh, and I think the “new daughter-in-law, or son” bit in the English translation is quite funny![/quote]

The Chinese article, written by Liberty Times, states that Chen’s family displayed their genealogy form in front of the court house with Kao(Gao)'s name written in it as Chen’s spouse.

“昨天陳、高兩家人在法院外,拉開長長的陳氏家譜,證明已經將高治瑋以陳敬學配偶的身分列入陳家族譜。”

Now that’s gutsy!

Yahoo! Kimo (奇摩) survey on Gay Marriage.

56% support with 34% non-support (11% no opinion)…1572 votes so far.

Here’s the snip in Chinese:

時事民調

請問你是否贊成同志婚姻合法化?

贊成
56%
不贊成
34%
沒意見
11%

自2012/04/11起過去12小時總計1,572票

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]Yahoo! Kimo (奇摩) survey on Gay Marriage.

時事民調

請問你是否贊成同志婚姻合法化?

贊成
56%
不贊成
34%
沒意見
11%

自2012/04/11起過去12小時總計1,572票[/quote]
Well, that’s encouraging! :thumbsup:

[quote]The Chinese article, written by Liberty Times, states that Chen’s family displayed their genealogy form in front of the court house with Kao(Gao)'s name written in it as Chen’s spouse.

“昨天陳、高兩家人在法院外,拉開長長的陳氏家譜,證明已經將高治瑋以陳敬學配偶的身分列入陳家族譜。”

Now that’s gutsy![/quote]
It is indeed! And while I personally find it rather amusing and dated (one has to be the top, and one has to be the bottom; they both can’t be husbands), it also struck me that this might well be the way that gay marriage can move forward in a culture like Taiwan’s. It has historical precedent in Chinese and other Asian cultures, as well as in the west (you can still be a “man” if your partner is somehow submissive/subservient). It would be ironic, given the equality based approach to partnerships we have (only recently) got used to in the west, but if it works, I’m down that aisle in a frock like a flash! I hail these boys, and their mums! Can’t wait to see how this turns out.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“PigBloodCake”]Yahoo! Kimo (奇摩) survey on Gay Marriage.

時事民調

請問你是否贊成同志婚姻合法化?

贊成
56%
不贊成
34%
沒意見
11%

自2012/04/11起過去12小時總計1,572票[/quote]
Well, that’s encouraging! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Keep in mind though that Taiwan is not a Christian based country and so we don’t have as many bible thumping hicks as…ahem :whistle:

About a decade ago it seems Taiwan was considering extending marriage rights to gays. But that initiative seems to have been lost on the shelves. It would be great if Taiwan became the first Asian country to legalize gay marriage. Hurry up, Taiwan, Nepal may clinch that honor!

Interesting story from here in Taiwan

Couple wed in first same-sex Buddhist service in Taiwan

No legal standing, but a first.

AFP article with a bit broader context:

Taiwan same-sex union points to Asia shift on gay rights

Encouraging news. Hopefully this will lead to more progress in Taiwan on this issue.

Very good news indeed. Unfortunately, politicians are the ones who vote these things into law, and most of them are too set in their ways to allow gay marriage to become legal anytime soon.

I hope I’m wrong.

When do you all think is the earliest date Taiwan might legalize gay marriage?

After seeing the pix here is me thinking that lesbians were usually only butch and fem in Taiwan.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]

Keep in mind though that Taiwan is not a Christian based country and so we don’t have as many bible thumping hicks as…ahem :whistle:[/quote]

Thank…God?..for that… :ponder: :roflmao:

Well you gotta be adreamer if you think Taiwan or Jpaan or Korea China are going to leagalize gay marriages.

How many countries actually have gay marriage legalized?

Well you gotta be adreamer if you think Taiwan or Jpaan or Korea China are going to leagalize gay marriages.

How many countries actually have gay marriage legalized?[/quote]

I agree. Will never happen in Taiwan. I support gay marriage 100 percent, but let’s not forget that the so-called human rights party (the DPP)ignored it during their time in power.

Why?

Most traditional Taiwanese in the south don’t want it. Such measures have support in Taipei from both parties but that ain’t the whole country.

How many countries actually have gay marriage legalized?[/quote]
10 so far. A decade ago it was zero.

Taiwan is one of the Asian countries most likely to legalize gay marriage, seeing that a few years back the legislature was actually considering the issue, before it was side-tracked by other matters. And like the US, as old traditionalits die off and younger, more pro-gay voters take their place, tolerance for gays is growing steadily here (in a place significantly more tolerant toward gays than the US is).

I’m photographing a gay wedding next month in Taipei. Looking forward to it and seeing what kind of acceptance there is.

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: Locked…Let’s continue the latest updates here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 3&t=124483[/color]