General hygiene and generation gap

I go to this fruit juice shop regularly. It is run by Young Woman and her colleague Old Woman. Old Woman usually likes to show her politeness by grabbing my straw for me; using the same hand that she handles money with.
I don’t say anything of course. I wouldn’t say anything back home if that happened either. But it happens really often in Taiwan. Young Woman doesn’t do it - she seems to be more sensitive about the transfer of germs from her hands onto my straw, so she lets me get the straw myself.

I think it must be a generational thing. The old generation will show their hospitality by dipping their thumb in your soup as they bring it to your table, touching your straw as they poke it in the cup for you, or maybe in some places they even chew your food for you and spit it in your mouth, what do I know?
But the younger generation seems to understand why I’m disgusted when my straw is touched by the hand that may or may not be used to clean the booty hole of its owner, what do I know?
That’s it.

pfff… no fuss about a straw.
Take the example of the trillions of night market eating-places. Even though I have never been sick, hygiene is nom where to be found for sure.

I know what you are talking about. I hate it when they break apart my chopsticks for me. I always ask for another pair. I am NOT going to eat with something someone I don’t know touched.

[quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]I go to this fruit juice shop regularly. It is run by Young Woman and her colleague Old Woman. Old Woman usually likes to show her politeness by grabbing my straw for me; using the same hand that she handles money with.
I don’t say anything of course. I wouldn’t say anything back home if that happened either. But it happens really often in Taiwan. Young Woman doesn’t do it - she seems to be more sensitive about the transfer of germs from her hands onto my straw, so she lets me get the straw myself.

I think it must be a generational thing. The old generation will show their hospitality by dipping their thumb in your soup as they bring it to your table, touching your straw as they poke it in the cup for you, or maybe in some places they even chew your food for you and spit it in your mouth, what do I know?
But the younger generation seems to understand why I’m disgusted when my straw is touched by the hand that may or may not be used to clean the booty hole of its owner, what do I know?
That’s it.[/quote]

well how bout this situ:

im waiting for my lunch at a famous take away in california. Philadelphia cheesesteak i think its called. Its sliced beef fried and then put on a roll. And with some pickled veggies in it.

talk bout unhygienic. This guy (i watched the whole thing) reached into the freezer to grab some beef and throw it on the grill with his bare hands. He then reaches for the bread with those same hands and throws a bun on the grill. Then he attends to a customer who wants to pay for his food. And then i saw him reach into a big container with his bare hands to get the pickles that goes on top of a finished cheesesteak.

i still ate it, but i never went back. I felt grossed out. Touching meat with bare hands, followed by touching the roll and then touching money and then reaching into the jug to get the pickles?? and never washing his hands between any of this!!

And this is in CALIFORNIA, which normally has very high standards of hygiene for food preparation !!!

so i think your straw thingy was minor compared to this.

still tho. next time just get the straws IN ADVANCE to beat the old lady !!

I usually don’t even bother with the straws if they’re left exposed on the counter for every Tom, Dick and Harry to touch. I remove the lid from the cup and drink directly from the cup. I’ve noticed some places are starting to provide individually wrapped straws. :bravo:

I wouldn’t count on any generational improvement at all, probebly just lucky that Younger Lady is even semi-aware.
After sitting at the bar of what is arguably Taipei’s most popular foreigner bar after work on Tues, where the bartender admitted to having a bad cold, then proceeded to sneeze like 4 times into her hand and, without missing a beat, hand-twist the cap off a beer and place it in front of my mate, THEN wipe her hands on her apron, I don’t see much room for hope, frankly…

I’ve posted this before and probably will again.

Each year over 10,000 children on Taiwan die of hepatitis and related infectious diseases.
Source Taiwan Government Health site.

Taiwan is 3rd world in infectious disease prevention.
Protect yourself.

This woman I work with is in her early 30s, not completely unattractive, her face is nothing to be ashamed of, her body’s not too funny looking, she brushes her hair and dresses professionally, but apparently she never brushes her teeth. I always feel awkward speaking with her because it’s such a foul sight that i try to avert my eyes out of modesty (if she had a big zit I wouldn’t stare at it or draw attention to it, but would try to pretend I hadn’t noticed) on the chance that she’s aware of her ghastly teeth and embarassed by them. But obviously she’s not aware, because I don’t believe she’s brushed them as long as I’ve worked here (a little over a year), or possibly longer.

What’s up with that? How on earth could a bright, college graduate, working at a responsible office job in a big company never learn to brush her teeth occasionally? :idunno:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I’ve posted this before and probably will again.

Each year over 10,000 children on Taiwan die of hepatitis and related infectious diseases.
Source Taiwan Government Health site.

Taiwan is 3rd world in infectious disease prevention.
Protect yourself.[/quote]

amazing !!! Hepatitis is endemic in taiwan and i think theres a vaccine now for it? Everyone should get the vaccine.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]This woman I work with is in her early 30s, not completely unattractive, her face is nothing to be ashamed of, her body’s not too funny looking, she brushes her hair and dresses professionally, but apparently she never brushes her teeth. I always feel awkward speaking with her because it’s such a foul sight that i try to avert my eyes out of modesty (if she had a big zit I wouldn’t stare at it or draw attention to it, but would try to pretend I hadn’t noticed) on the chance that she’s aware of her ghastly teeth and embarassed by them. But obviously she’s not aware, because I don’t believe she’s brushed them as long as I’ve worked here (a little over a year), or possibly longer.

What’s up with that? How on earth could a bright, college graduate, working at a responsible office job in a big company never learn to brush her teeth occasionally? :idunno:[/quote]

amazing !!! Maybe you can confide in a close associate (female) who is also close to her to let her know?

About the brushing your teeth thing…

I went to see a dentist here to get a cleaning. I was the first foreigner in this particular dentist office and the dentist was thrilled to be able to use what little english he knew on me. He went on to tell me step by step how to brush my teeth, floss, etc etc etc…even though my check up showed I do that just fine…here is the kicker:

Dentist asked “How often do you brush?”

Me: “I try to after every meal, when I cant do that I usually brush 2 times a day”

Dentist: “Oh no, you shouldnt do that. Brushing so much will hurt your gums and teeth. Floss every day and brush every other day.” :noway: :loco: :loco: :loco:

I told the wife we will be getting a new dentist pronto!

So it doesnt surprise me about your co-worker. Also, kids here…notice their decaying rotting teeth. I asked my wife about this and she said that most parents feel that the baby teeth are going to fall out anyways so why bother going through the trouble and hassel of teaching your kid to brush, floss, etc. (My wife of course agrees with me that its important to teach proper oral hygene to kids). But, that is why so many Taiwanese grow up not knowing how to properly care for their teeth and mouth let alone know the importance of it either. :loco:

Why do so many parenting practices here sound insane? How do they get their older kids to start brushing their teeth once their adult teeth come in, if they’ve never done it before?

Ha, I know you 'd like it better him wearing some rubber gloves and doing the same … right … wrong, it’s just the same if he doesn’t take them off between every stage and puting on a fresh pair … it would be better if he would use tongs, that’s for sure …
That’s what I like about the food industry regulations … wear gloves and everything is OK … but wearing the same gloves for most of the day … :s

Why do so many parenting practices here sound insane? How do they get their older kids to start brushing their teeth once their adult teeth come in, if they’ve never done it before?[/quote]

This reminds me: my wife brushes her teeth regularly, but she told me her parents – simple, uneducated country folks from down south – never brush their teeth, never knew one was supposed to, so naturally they did not brush their children’s teeth, and the kids all have lots of cavities. One shouldn’t forget that 50 years ago Taiwanese were mostly simple peasants. Apparently tooth brushing is introduced to nations as the people gain wealth and education. It’s only been one generation in Taiwan.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]This woman I work with is in her early 30s, not completely unattractive, her face is nothing to be ashamed of, her body’s not too funny looking, she brushes her hair and dresses professionally, but apparently she never brushes her teeth. I always feel awkward speaking with her because it’s such a foul sight that i try to avert my eyes out of modesty (if she had a big zit I wouldn’t stare at it or draw attention to it, but would try to pretend I hadn’t noticed) on the chance that she’s aware of her ghastly teeth and embarassed by them. But obviously she’s not aware, because I don’t believe she’s brushed them as long as I’ve worked here (a little over a year), or possibly longer.

What’s up with that? How on earth could a bright, college graduate, working at a responsible office job in a big company never learn to brush her teeth occasionally? :idunno:[/quote]

well, if you need to give her a hong bao, make it a gift certificate to your favorite dentist. or, you could ask her for her help with a dental visit and drag her along and make her sit in the chair first and then run away.

It’s about waiting long enough … after a while there will be a build-up of calcium and other layers of unidentified stuff on your teeth, so much that bacteria don’t have a chance of decaying your them anymore … it’s the good bugs vs the bad bugs :roflmao: neh, I guess it’s a religious thing …