General Q: Pingdong

Hello everyone,…

There has been a recent post discussing Pingdong City, and I would like to ask several additional questions:

– What is the job market like there?
– Specifically, can one arrive and expect to find a teaching job within several weeks? (All my ESL experience is from volunteer, teacher-assistant work in my university’s (UW) ESL classes; I can speak Chinese and will have a minor in linguistics, as well – I have no idea if that matters, though.)

– How many expats do you estimate live there?
– Does anyone know where pictures/information of the city can be found?

In response to any comments regarding living standards and the demeanor of pingdong residents: I lived in Chongqing, China for a year and a half (as a teenager), and few places have the same degree of madness as the degree of madness that can be found in that city (especially in aspects of transportation) – it’s a wonderful place, however.

I appreciate any and all constructive comments.
Thanks for your time.

Well I was offered a pretty good long term sort of a job there with good pay. If you are a foreigner they will be happy to see you since there aren’t as many there. The pay is maybe a little higher normally since you are rare. I really don’t know the demand down there though.

For living style, its no more dirty than Kaohsiung to me at least. People mostly mind their business, but you will get some people who are shocked to see a foreigner. Food is great rent is cheap, like $250 for a 3 bedroom in some places. If you don’t mind being totally immersed in the southern Taiwanese culture it should be fine, just know that even a lot of the northern Taiwanese look down on the south and think its unlivable, not just the foreigners.